Battery inside

skiman

Dec 2, 2023
Hailey, ID
Just bought a 2019 norco sight vlt. My garage will get to around freezing in Jan and Feb. How important is it to store the battery in the house?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Storing the battery cold isn't the end of the world.

Ideally though it shouldn't be too cold when you charge it. You'll also get less performance from it if you ride the bike and the battery is cold to start with.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Cold storage shouldn't really have much impact on life span. In theory it can even extend it. In reality cold often also means moist, so that could have a detrimental effect of life span - they prefer dry !

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
If you Google it Shimano say down to 0c is OK for charging and using, although you will have reduced performance - that will go back to normal once temperatures rise. Actual limits stated on their .pdf are -10c to 50c for discharge, 0 to 40c for charging, -20c to 60c for storage.

Generic ebike advice on other sites state you shouldn't charge below 5c but it seems unclear if this is because the battery charges at a slower rate due to increased resistance, or if it actually harms it permanently.

dave_uk

Nov 15, 2021
uk - Staffordshire
Garages without heating, like mine, temperatures will go very low then up as the sun hits the roof. Bad news for damp/condensation.

Take your battery inside. In winter mine lives under the kitchen table (just about tolerable by the misses, only as its hard to see).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles