Bash Guard?

MTB_MIKE

Dec 20, 2019
Southern California, USA
I see a couple mounting threads and was wondering if we can add a bash guard. Or is it unnecessary since we have the plastic skid plate down there that is pretty cheap to replace?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I use 3M 2229 Mastic for bash guards. I just custom trim it to fit. When it gets trashed after a couple months I just swap out for a new piece.

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
When log hopping, the chainring hits first on my bike... A rock guard might be in order to fend off the detritus kicked up by the front tire

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
I am looking for the same setup, and agree the chainring often hits a rock first.

Trying to visualize some form of "triangular wedge" that can be epoxied to the bottom. This would allow for deflection (without stopping the bike) and protect the chain/chainring exposure from logs and rocks.

I have protective thick film over the bottom of the skidplate but this does not limit or protect the chainring from hits

Looking for any ideas as well :unsure:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Generally a bad idea. You’d be actually hitting more stuff. Think about it. More bits down low = more contact with rocks. Just put a downtube protector on and you’re good to go. Chainrings are much stronger than you think. I hit a lot of rocks at speed and I haven’t bent or damaged a chainring in probably 8-10 years.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I am looking for the same setup, and agree the chainring often hits a rock first.

Trying to visualize some form of "triangular wedge" that can be epoxied to the bottom. This would allow for deflection (without stopping the bike) and protect the chain/chainring exposure from logs and rocks.

I have protective thick film over the bottom of the skidplate but this does not limit or protect the chainring from hits

Looking for any ideas as well :unsure:

Sweet car BTW!

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
I am going to try these thick rubber "anti vibration" pads designed for underneath heavy equipment (ie washing machines)

The idea is to "taper" them to a point at the front, and just have the rubber protrude about 5mm below the chainring (they are 10mm thick). This should help against chainring hits.

I am not overly leary about protecting the chainring as much as having rocks bash it which then tranfers ALL the force to the crank arm and motor bearings.

I have seen what rocks can do to pedals axles, and want to alleviate this force from transferring to the crank shaft bearings via chain ring bashes.

Now just to work on eliminating pedal strikes - lol

31KR5vsllGL._AC_.jpg

Last edited:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I am going to try these thick rubber "anti vibration" pads designed for underneath heavy equipment (ie washing machines)

The idea is to "taper" them to a point at the front, and just have the rubber protrude about 5mm below the chainring (they are 10mm thick). This should help against chainring hits.

I am not overly leary about protecting the chainring as much as having rocks bash it which then tranfers ALL the force to the crank arm and motor bearings.

I have seen what rocks can do to pedals axles, and want to alleviate this force from transferring to the crank shaft bearings via chain ring bashes.

View attachment 24021

Take a look at the thicker 3M Mastic tape (2229). Same concept, not quite as thick.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles