Bafang powered Banshee Spitfire

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
In 2017 , I bought a Bafang BBSHD kit as a bit of a fun project. I set it up on my no longer used DH bike at the time. It was a hoot! I added a dropper post and that transformed a dust collecting 18kg , shuttle only , plow machine into a 27kg , go anywhere , super plush , all day ride!
After almost 2000kms of fun, the frame (from 2006) developed a couple of cracks. I stripped the bike in preparation for restoration and transferred the mid drive over to my other bike , a 2014 Banshee Spitfire.
The Spitfire had also become a bit of a dust collector in the garage , as the E-DH machine was getting all the action! E biking had taken over as my preferred riding style , I'm sure most of us can relate to that.

The original battery pack had plenty of life left in it but it was a less than ideal shape to mount to the downtube of the Spitfire. I had a new pack made up in the same config but with the cells laid out in a longer rectangular shape. It still looks a bit of a "brick" but at least the front tyre doesn't make contact with the case like it used to on big hits.

The Spitfire is an excellent specimen for a mid drive conversion. A 68mm BB and 150 X 12 rear give a great chainline with the BBSHD. The downtube / BB junction allows the motor to be mounted with good ground clearance. The frame also has an S3 type front derailleur mount which I used to attach a chain guide and the seat tube comes with an opening for internal cable operated dropper posts.

The BBSHD is coming up to 4000kms of use and runs perfectly. I have had it apart a few times to grease the internals but haven't had to replace the nylon gear yet. I didn't appreciate just how quiet these motors run until I rode with conventional EMTBs. The Bafang has no rattles or clunks and at full power the whir is no louder than tyres on dirt. I generally use 3/9 PAS. On long climbs and tired legs , maybe 5 PAS. Fullpower is very rarely used. I don't have the throttle connected as I never used it when it was fitted and the cockpit has enough clutter !

All in all this has been so much fun. What started out as a project for a laugh , has kind of taken over as my full time ride and I love it. More power than I could ever need , great range and reasonable weight compared to production EMTBs.

Specs
Frame: Banshee Spitfire 2014 medium. Fox Float CTD shock , 150mm travel.
Fork: Fox Float 36 2018 160mm
Headset: Hope
Stem: Easton Haven
Bars: Spank Oozy 740mm
Grips: Ergon GA3
Brakes: Formula RX. Formula 180mm rotors.
Shifter: Sram XO ten speed
Derailleur: Sram X5 ten speed
Cassette: Sunrace 11 - 40T
Chain: Shimano HG95
Chainguide: Ebay / home built
Chainring / Spider : Ebay 40T narrow wide
Cranks: Bafang 170mm
Pedals: Xpedo Spry Magnesium
Front wheel: Hope Pro 4 hub. Hope Tech Enduro rim 27.5"
Rear wheel: Hope Pro 2 hub. Stans Flow Mk2. 26"
Tyres: Magic Mary 2.5. Tubeless.
Saddle: Selle SMP TRK
Motor: Bafang BBSHD
Battery: 52V 14AH
Weight: 23.95kg

a1.png

New battery cell layout

a2.jpg

New pack compared to the old

a3.jpg

New case fabricated with new pack fitted.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10 .jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles