Bafang motor systems

endo_alley

Dec 11, 2022
I am wondering how people rate the Bafang M510 and M600 compared to other EMTB motor systems? I am looking to build a trail/ all mountain style E mountain bike. I have been leaning towards bikes with the m510 as a possibly good tradeoff between features and price. Which motor system will get the job done the best? The Bafang setups seem to be the best bang for the buck. But how do the behave on the singletrack trail and compare to other brands?

Last edited:

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
In terms of overall power and dependency, the M600 is better (in my opinion). The M510 did have the edge in terms of power to weight performance. Until,
IMG_20221209_232649_436.jpg

this came along 👍🏿

endo_alley

Dec 11, 2022
In terms of overall power and dependency, the M600 is better (in my opinion). The M510 did have the edge in terms of power to weight performance. Until,
View attachment 103207
this came along 👍🏿
Wow. Thanks. Does it fit in the same space and have the same fastener patterns as the M510 and M600? Will it fit in the same frame as these others? When is it available.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Wow. Thanks. Does it fit in the same space and have the same fastener patterns as the M510 and M600? Will it fit in the same frame as these others? When is it available.
The M610s mounting hardware position is the same as the M500/M600/M510. Any frame which supports those motors, can support the M610.

This motor will be commercially available as of early 2023 👍🏿

Bengy22

Aug 25, 2022
USA
The M610s mounting hardware position is the same as the M500/M600/M510. Any frame which supports those motors, can support the M610.

This motor will be commercially available as of early 2023 👍🏿
As someone who didn't know the m610 exited I'm excited to see some people build up a bike with them (say the dengfu e10) and hear their thoughts, looks like an impressive upgrade over the older m600.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
... looks like an impressive upgrade over the older m600.
Why so, the existing M600 does all the above in power terms if you run it on 52 volts ( no modifications needed ) just its 0.5kgs heavier. This is just an engine advancement rather than impressive in my view.

Just run a 52 volt battery and have one less pint the night before and save yourself a lot of dosh for all those future pints.

endo_alley

Dec 11, 2022
Why so, the existing M600 does all the above in power terms if you run it on 52 volts ( no modifications needed ) just its 0.5kgs heavier. This is just an engine advancement rather than impressive in my view.

Just run a 52 volt battery and have one less pint the night before and save yourself a lot of dosh for all those future pints.
I guess the devil will be in the details. I had heard somewhere that the M610, when it came out, would be Class I and II compatible. Which would be a little helpful where I come from. Not sure if that is true.

Bengy22

Aug 25, 2022
USA

I guess I could be looking at those graphs too much haha, going to need to see some real world testing but from that picture looks like a nice upgrade all around. Maybe not "impressive" as I first stated but still good though, and max power isn't everything on these lighter lower power motors. If power is what someone wanted I'm sure they wouldn't look away from the m620

Bruce B

Apr 26, 2022
NZ
I am wondering how people rate the Bafang M510 and M600 compared to other EMTB motor systems? I am looking to build a trail/ all mountain style E mountain bike. I have been leaning towards bikes with the m510 as a possibly good tradeoff between features and price. Which motor system will get the job done the best? The Bafang setups seem to be the best bang for the buck. But how do the behave on the singletrack trail and compare to other brands?
I have the m600 and by the sounds of other users with the m500 I am glad to have not chosen the m500 .
It has a ton of torque the 43 v system is good on the battery . At this stage I need bigger tyres from 2.3 to 2.6to get better grip but as my tyres are new I will leave them for a while. This will obviously use a little more battery with more friction with the wider tyres.
I have thrown it at all sorts of hills and it will climb them. I was even able to go up 4 teeth on the front from 32 to 34 as the gearing was far to low as never got to use first gear .
I also now have no speed limit but am restricted by the gearing anyway .
I have had the motor apart and it is easy enough to work on and parts are easy to get.
I was having issues with the freewheel but seems to be better now that I took all the grease out and just oiled it

mike425

Jan 9, 2020
Sheffield
I built my own frame around the bafang G510 motor for commuting on. TBH for that purpose it is great. My main gripe which seems to be common across them all if you have used shimano/bosch is that the drag on the motors is significant.

pdmx.it

Jan 3, 2022
Italy
I've been using M500 for a few months and it's "fine".
Mine is 48V but it lacks power at low cadence, uphill or you use the light ratio or you have to do "everything" with your legs.
The Bosch or brose (specialized), on the other hand, push a lot even at low cadences and you can climb steep slopes even with long gears.
Another thing that I don't like very much is the small difference between level 3 and 5 (there is an increase but it is hardly noticeable).
I would like to try the 510 to see the difference or, better, a more updated firmware for my motor but either I don't know where to look or it's stuck at CRX10NC4813i142015.8-28-2230-20210805
Escume me for my english ;-)

Bruce B

Apr 26, 2022
NZ
I've been using M500 for a few months and it's "fine".
Mine is 48V but it lacks power at low cadence, uphill or you use the light ratio or you have to do "everything" with your legs.
The Bosch or brose (specialized), on the other hand, push a lot even at low cadences and you can climb steep slopes even with long gears.
Another thing that I don't like very much is the small difference between level 3 and 5 (there is an increase but it is hardly noticeable).
I would like to try the 510 to see the difference or, better, a more updated firmware for my motor but either I don't know where to look or it's stuck at CRX10NC4813i142015.8-28-2230-20210805
Escume me for my english ;-)
The m600 does very well you don’t have to put much in to climb however if you choose a to higher gear then you will notice but treat it as you would do a manual bike and change a fe gears down and no problem . Yes there is also a huge difference in the power ratio in fact I like to use the 1-9 setting to just split it up a bit finer by the look of it and all I can say is that the 43v m600 seems to work well with its standard cranks and current updated software.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles