Bad riding technique or inherent design issue

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
My Focus Jam2 seems to want to put its rear wheel out in front on steep descents , its more noticeable in the wet or on loose stuff but it sort of feels like its the weight of the motor pulling the rear around.
Ive tried weighting the rear more and moving around on the bike but no difference.

any advice much appreciated.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
My Focus Jam2 seems to want to put its rear wheel out in front on steep descents , its more noticeable in the wet or on loose stuff but it sort of feels like its the weight of the motor pulling the rear around.
Ive tried weighting the rear more and moving around on the bike but no difference.

Too much front brake being applied?

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Are you aware of this principal?

I find it useful personally even on straight steeps. Constant vigilance of the front end is key.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
Sounds like you need to practice body weight distribution on steep stuff. I doubt it is the bike unless you have not got enough air in the front fork.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
Are you aware of this principal?

I find it useful personally even on straight steeps. Constant vigilance of the front end is key.
Straight steeps are the thing im talking about . sounds like more practice reqd

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
personally on straight steeps I only use the front brake if there is plenty of grip. If there is no reliable grip I only use the rear brake. What could be happening ( assuming you are using the front brake) is that when the front wheel finds grip the back of the bike tries to overtake. This would be accentuated if the front wheel grip pushes the tyre offline to the left or right. So I would say use both brakes to approach the steep at a survive-able speed and then only use the rear brake with your weight as far over the back wheel as you can both to help traction and to be in a non OTB position on the bike if the front end fails to roll over an obstacle.

maynard

personally on straight steeps I only use the front brake if there is plenty of grip. If there is no reliable grip I only use the rear brake. What could be happening ( assuming you are using the front brake) is that when the front wheel finds grip the back of the bike tries to overtake. This would be accentuated if the front wheel grip pushes the tyre offline to the left or right. So I would say use both brakes to approach the steep at a survive-able speed and then only use the rear brake with your weight as far over the back wheel as you can both to help traction and to be in a non OTB position on the bike if the front end fails to roll over an obstacle.
Survive-able what a word. I'm gonna use that

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
This is not my ebike but it shows the principle. You need to keep your hips above the bottom bracket to keep the back end down. If they are forward of that "over the bars" is likely and behind it makes it difficult to steer.

Flat White Tweedlove.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'd ignore any advice based off that foto. the photographer has tilted the camera to make it look steep.
it's not actually very steep at all. infact it's the one of the mellowest trails on that hill and the riders hips are actually too far back and he looks to be on the back brake too. (braking often causes a rider to move their weight rearwards to counter).

Wearing a backpack can also mess up most body positioning/skills advice (unless you're specifically giving advice for backpack wearers)
My asdvice would be don't wear one ;)

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales

Flick between front and rear brake to keep the bike going straight staying balanced. Don't be scared of front brake, you need it more than the rear, it will stop the rear end sliding outwards. The only place to practise this and to see how the bike feels and acts is on a really high steep bank. Try and descend without skidding.

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I'd ignore any advice based off that foto. the photographer has tilted the camera to make it look steep.
it's not actually very steep at all. infact it's the one of the mellowest trails on that hill and the riders hips are actually too far back and he looks to be on the back brake too. (braking often causes a rider to move their weight rearwards to counter).

Wearing a backpack can also mess up most body positioning/skills advice (unless you're specifically giving advice for backpack wearers)
I feel like Dr Watson, but how did you recognise the route and how do you know he's on the back brake?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I feel like Dr Watson, but how did you recognise the route and how do you know he's on the back brake?
I just happen to know the trail very well. I have ridden that forest for 30 years.
The rider's line choice isn't the best and his body, arms, feet and left hand positioning suggests he's on the rear brake.

I'm not new to gravity based biking

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland

Name the trail then. Also back pack in use because it is a 5+hr Enduro race and I hate bottles. I also run the levers close to the bars, I doubt the back brake is on in the photo ;)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
............... Wearing a backpack can also mess up most body positioning/skills advice (unless you're specifically giving advice for backpack wearers)
My backpack has saved me from so many injuries that I wouldn't feel safe not wearing one. It is has become part of my ppe.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles