AXS shifter failure

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Got every ready this morning, all my cold gear on (-1deg outside), and cycled out of the garage. Went to change gear, and nothing happened. Pressed it a few times - nothing.

Assumed it was the derailleur battery - even though I check it after every ride... so got off an pressed the AXS button to find a green light.
Pressed the button on the shifter, but no light. Thankfully I have a spare CR2025 battery, so popped that in.
Still no light.

I’ve opened the 5 torx screws on the shifter, and the PCB inside looks immaculate - with no signs of water ingress.

Looks like it’s dead. About a year and 2 weeks old. At the same time as my AXS dropper is away getting replaced under warranty! I usually rave about the AXS stuff... but currently I’m cursing it.

Downside is that I ordered the Eagle AXS kit from Germany, so a potential warranty claim will probably take months... and the bike is unusable stuck in 1st gear!
I’ll take it to my LBS and see if I can pay a fee to send it off for warranty (or maybe they’ll do it FOC as my neighbour works there!). Alternatively, I’ll have to order a new one.

Morning ride = ruined!

AdmChr

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Nov 21, 2019
SWPA
@p3eps the AXS controller uses a CR2032 battery, not a CR2025. While they are both 3v the CR2025 is 0.7mm thinner than the CR2032 so it may not be making good contact. May be a quick fix to your issue.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
@p3eps the AXS controller uses a CR2032 battery, not a CR2025. While they are both 3v the CR2025 is 0.7mm thinner than the CR2032 so it may not be making good contact. May be a quick fix to your issue.

Thanks... it’s a CR2032 I’ve got in it. I typed the message once I was back inside - and never looked at which one it was!
I’ve check the voltage of the original one, and it’s still above 3V even after a year of use.

I could use this as an opportunity to swap to the new rocker style AXS shifter... however I’m now used to the paddle one, so might find it strange to change. About £150 for a new one ?

AdmChr

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Nov 21, 2019
SWPA
Bummer, was hoping it was just the wrong battery.
It’s funny, I recently swapped from the original paddle to the new rocker style and had my first ride with it the other day. The whole ride just didn’t feel right. I never had any complaints with the original paddle but just had to the new one when it came out for some reason (probably cause they called it an ‘upgrade’ ?). I’ll give it a few more rides and will probably end up swapping the other back on.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Bummer, was hoping it was just the wrong battery.
It’s funny, I recently swapped from the original paddle to the new rocker style and had my first ride with it the other day. The whole ride just didn’t feel right. I never had any complaints with the original paddle but just had to the new one when it came out for some reason (probably cause they called it an ‘upgrade’ ?). I’ll give it a few more rides and will probably end up swapping the other back on.

I went and double checked, but it’s definitely a CR2032 I put in!
I was tempted by the ‘upgrade’ too, but I’m now used to the way the original paddle works and don’t know if I’d like to go back.

My stumpy has a wired Eagle, but it’s currently attached to a Kickr with a 36T front ring on... so not much use for getting out this morning with limited time.

Been to my LBS and dropped off the controller. They said they’d speak with SRAM on Monday, and it should have a 2 year warranty. It was purchased 13 Feb 2020, so 13 months old.
They hoped SRAM will just send out a new one straight away, and with a bit of luck I can have it for the weekend. Not sure if they’ll charge me or not, but either way it’ll be much cheaper than a new controller.

I guess tomorrow’s ride will be Zwift in the garage.

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Update...

I heard from my bike shop today. SRAM are replacing the controller under warranty. The problem is, they’re out of stock at the moment... and it won’t be delivered until late April ?

I’ve ordered myself another one from Germany, which should be with me in 4 days. Will probably cost around £200 by the time I pay import duty... but I can’t be without my bike for another 5 weeks! That’s already 2 that’s it’s been unusable.

It’ll be handy to have a spare in the event something happens again.

Great work from my LBS, but very poor from SRAM not having spares available for warranty issues.
My AXS dropper that’s being replaced under warranty is also out of stock and taking longer than initially promised too.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
but I can’t be without my bike for another 5 weeks! That’s already 2 that’s it’s been unusable.
It's not unusable
Just use the mech's high limit screw to put it in as low a gear as you can (hopefully in the 15-18t range) and use the motor asistance modes like gearing.

or fit a nice cheap cable shifter and mech

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
It's not unusable
Just use the mech's high limit screw to put it in as low a gear as you can (hopefully in the 15-18t range) and use the motor asistance modes like gearing.

or fit a nice cheap cable shifter and mech

Not unusable, but not really practical.
I can press the AXS button on the mech to make it shift - and could put it in maybe gear 9 of 12 and it’d be ok for riding round the roads.
I wouldn’t have the leg power to get the bike up a decent hill in that gear though - even if I had the bike in Turbo.

I could steal the mech off my Stumpy... or just ride the Stumpy instead!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Read some reviews of the GX AXS, and it seems the controller is the same other than having a GX logo on it.
Found someone in the UK with stock, so ordered one last night for £140. Should be here tomorrow with a bit of luck.

I’ve cancelled the one from Germany, as it’s order status still hasn’t moved from ‘order placed’ - so who knows when that was going to ship.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I think that redundancy is a genuine concern when riding with this type of kit. I have taken parts from one bike, in an *emergency* to make another ridable. I try to have my bikes with swappable components for this reason (all my bikes have Shimano 4 pot brakes for example.) It's harder to do when stuff gets pricey. And once you've pulled that cable out, getting one back in might involve a motor drop. And it's not really something you can have a $50 low end part on a shelf just in case. You need that $500 mech. Or $200 shifter. I think that *what if?* is a real issue for many riders. Do you keep a spare just in case or not ride for a few weeks while you wait for shipping?

I have AXS X01 on one of my bikes. And while I don't think it shifts better than my XT bikes I really like the experience and the clean set up. My worry has always been that if something goes wrong I won't be able to ride the bike. Maybe for weeks or even months with current supply chains. While the new set up is cheaper it's still a lot of cash to just have as a spare.

Gordon

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
I think that redundancy is a genuine concern when riding with this type of kit. I have taken parts from one bike, in an *emergency* to make another ridable. I try to have my bikes with swappable components for this reason (all my bikes have Shimano 4 pot brakes for example.) It's harder to do when stuff gets pricey. And once you've pulled that cable out, getting one back in might involve a motor drop. And it's not really something you can have a $50 low end part on a shelf just in case. You need that $500 mech. Or $200 shifter. I think that *what if?* is a real issue for many riders. Do you keep a spare just in case or not ride for a few weeks while you wait for shipping?

I have AXS X01 on one of my bikes. And while I don't think it shifts better than my XT bikes I really like the experience and the clean set up. My worry has always been that if something goes wrong I won't be able to ride the bike. Maybe for weeks or even months with current supply chains. While the new set up is cheaper it's still a lot of cash to just have as a spare.

Gordon

Good points for sure...I have a Haibike full FatSix as my back up and that will stay analog so I guess I am ok with it. The AXS set up does appear to be very reliable but only time will tell.....

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
And the biggest box for the smallest thing award goes to...

That’s one problem solved. My warranty HT pedals arrived back today too.
Now I just need Tredz to supply my new warranty AXS Reverb dropper - as using an old school post isn’t much fun!

3C741D71-17FE-4C1E-ACAE-7DE3114903A6.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles