Aussie that's almost an emtb rider

bdaearth

Apr 2, 2023
Australia
Hi, All

I built up a commute bike around 6 years ago with a Dillenger kit. BBS HD1000 - Bafang Mid Drive - B Series This is the one I used. I absolutely LOVED it, and I used it for around 3 years with no issues with the kit, I did however discover how high power ebikes eat standard running gear at a rapid rate.

I have been riding a norco fluid for the last couple of years, but all the guys I ride with have gone over to emtb so I'm not able to ride with them anymore, well, not enjoyably anyway.

I have looked at plenty of bikes in the shops, but nothing really takes my fancy because of the history with the HD1000.

I discovered Luna cycles and loved what they are doing but shipping to Australia isn't an option. A little more investigating and I found this Volition | Dengfu Electric bike Australia | eMTB e-Bike

Which lead me to this forum.

I have been thinking about doing a build myself, but from what I can tell, Volition is what I'm going to be spending anyway??

I can see that there are still people doing the build, but I think it's because they want the build experience, not to save money.

Any feedback on the above would be great!! I've started reading all the e10 threads, so I'm sure I'll pick up a lot from them.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Are you hoping to return to riding with your mates?
Do your mates ride mtb trails on mainstream mtb's ? ( and if so, where?)

That's a lot of $ to sink into an illegal bike and find yourself unwelcome at some facilities, especially if you are intending to obtain external support eg commercial shuttles

If that doesn't bother you, enjoy and welcome

bdaearth

Apr 2, 2023
Australia
I will ride with them again, although the plan is to get it so that I can ride the forest close to my house. It is too difficult to ride on a normal bike, I've tried a few times and the enjoyment just isn't there.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
Hi @bdaearth
I see your point about the price of the Volition, it is hard to beat that in AUs.
What size frame do you ride as I see the Large is $500 cheaper than the Medium!?
I assume the choice between the 120nm or 90nm is the difference between the M510 or M600 motors, but the price is the same for both... Just ask the question on that and do your research on the motors. Bafang has a new M560 motor out which may be an option..?
Don't worry about the legal implications mentioned, the Volition looks like any other Emtb, no one will question it... Unless you want a throttle, I believe the M600 supports a throttle but not the M510. I see no need for a throttle with a proper E-MTB.
The only downside to the Bafang motors from what I have read is that they are not as natural feeling or as powerful, despite their claims, as the big brand manufacturers.
As you have Bafang DIY experience I am sure you will be happy with the Volition and tweaking the firmware and motor settings.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
I might add I tried to purchase a bike for my bro in Aus and couldn't find anything suitable so I ended up buying him a low mileage 2nd hand Bosch CX 4 powered bike in the UK and took it on the plane with me!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles