Attention to speed box 3 users on Bosch Gen 4 motor

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Hi all had a 504 on my bike last week that reset itself had the latest firmware installed 1.1.5 from lbs report showed no errors today out riding I noticed 2 things the countdown is quicker to get back to 0 and when the countdown is still counting down when you go to pull off there is no delay at all from when the motor kicks in like it was on the old firmware so I don't know if this is good news or bad news!!!

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Just had some emails from speed box apparently they have done all testing on firmware 1.1.5 and all good

Hotwhls67

Jun 25, 2020
USA
Hi all had a 504 on my bike last week that reset itself had the latest firmware installed 1.1.5 from lbs report showed no errors today out riding I noticed 2 things the countdown is quicker to get back to 0 and when the countdown is still counting down when you go to pull off there is no delay at all from when the motor kicks in like it was on the old firmware so I don't know if this is good news or bad news!!!

I have a question on the count down. Once you stop how long does it take for the count down to start counting. I would hate to stop on an uphill for 30 seconds have the count down start and there is a delay to get power. Does the count down start once the bike stops or is there a delay when the count down starts?

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
With the new firmware there is no delay even when it's counting down on the old firmware it's about 1 turn off the cranks

Hotwhls67

Jun 25, 2020
USA
With the new firmware there is no delay even when it's counting down on the old firmware it's about 1 turn off the cranks

Is this a Bosch firmware update or a Speedbox firmware update? I am debating about getting a speedbox for my Trek Rail 7.

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Bosch firmware 1.1.5 I had one on my trek rail 7 as well with old firmware done over 1300 miles no issues at all

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Its strange how some people trigger a 504 error within a few hundred kilometers, but then others with the speed limit increased to the same speed and running the same version of the bosch motor firmware have managed thousands of km without triggering the error.

There must be a difference in how people are riding/using the motor that is causing some to see an error and others not to , I wonder what that difference is?

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Think there was a problem with old firmware let's face it if Bosch released a motor that you couldn't derestrict it they wouldn't sell many and they know that this 3 strikes thing then your motor is blocked I reckon is a load of rubbish

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Think there was a problem with old firmware let's face it if Bosch released a motor that you couldn't derestrict it they wouldn't sell many and they know that this 3 strikes thing then your motor is blocked I reckon is a load of rubbish
are you saying that you think the newest motor firmware (1.1.5.0) makes 504 errors when using speedbox/volspeed less likely?

I cant see that bosch would consciously make it easier to derestrict - they seem to have gone all in on making it hard - which is annoying - If/when I get another ebike having one that can be easily derestricted without the risk of getting a slapped wrist will be high up my wish list.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
1.1.5 firmware is ok for speed box I emailed them direct to check
They said that about the previous versions of the bosch firmware too when I emailed them, to be honest I think they'll say whatever it takes to sell the devices, I don't think these vendors are being entirely honest with people about the possibility of the derestriction being detected by the motor.

Or at best, if they're not knowingly being misleading , the vendors of these devices dont really know whether the derestriction will be detected.

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
On my diagnostic report no errors found on drive unit so for me that's enough evidence if there was a problem with motor it's never been deristricted

Chribbe

Dec 29, 2019
Vaasa, Finland
With Speedbox I always let the "end of the ride" countdown go to zero, maybe that's the main thing to remember and NOT shut
down the system right after one finnishes a ride.

Dick the Coal

Feb 10, 2021
S. Wales
You guys that have fitted the Speedbox (v1.1.5), are you down-hillers that are using it constantly. I'm 67 years old, finished with the down hill stuff and only use my Cube on Tarmac trails and forry roads at worst. I'm busting to buy a speedbox but don't want to cock things up as I do 120 miles a week'ish.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles