Attaching child trailer to Orbea Wild FS 2021?

Calamity

Sep 23, 2020
Norway
Hi all!
I am trying to attach our Hamax Outback child trailer to a Wild FS H20. The trailer normally attaches to a special through axle with an attachment at the axle head.
Most bikes have the thru axle head on the left side and the child trailer attachment arms are always bent to the left to accommodate the rear wheel.
On the Orbea unfortunately the thru axle goes in from the other side so the attachment point is on the right side of the bike which means the trailer arm wont fit.
Looking for some tips on how to attach this mess? Is it possible to flip the hardware in the frame to accept the axle from the left?
Thanks!

IMG_20210315_103952.jpg
IMG_20210315_104042.jpg
rpaP7cd.jpg

Calamity

Sep 23, 2020
Norway
Have a look in here, there may be something that will work. Odd frame arrangement? Are you saying the QR lever on the axle is normally above the derailleur? How on earth do you tighten it?

Yes on this bike the QR would be on the right side, it comes with a thru-axle so theres no problem tightening it, but I guess a QR might hit the derailleur. I dont know if its common but I have never seen a bike where the axle goes in on the right before.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
So you have a Maxle?

What you need then is the same axle but a bit longer, the extra length being at the threaded end so it pokes out on the left (non derailleur side). This will allow a nut/washer to fix your hitch.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Have a look in here, there may be something that will work. Odd frame arrangement? Are you saying the QR lever on the axle is normally above the derailleur? How on earth do you tighten it?

There's no qr lever on the orbea, you just use an Allen key to tighten the axle

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Failing that, I’m pretty sure you can get adaptors. This will be a threaded collar that screws into the left hand side of the frame with a 10mm internal thread. You then use a stepped through axle.
the outside section of the adaptor isused to mount the hutch.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Go and find a local machine shop or anyone with a lathe. Give them your axle and ask for the same but with an extra 20mm of thread on the end. Simple.

Oehagen

Jun 19, 2021
Norway
Seriously considering buying a Orbea Wild, but this very same issue is holding me back. Did any of the above proposals actually work out?

Mooree

Jan 18, 2022
USA
Attaching a bike trailer without a coupler has become easier for me. Instead of choosing to mount the shaft, I used the seat post hinge. For this process, I considered using Travoy Quick-Hitch points. This is really a great option. When using one of the tie rods, I simply tighten the brace to the seat post and attach the trailer to it. Using this tool is very simple and it can work perfectly with any size of bike post. I have not encountered any compatibility issues using this tool.

Last edited:

cometsoft

Mar 7, 2022
North Carolina
Hi all!
I am trying to attach our Hamax Outback child trailer to a Wild FS H20. The trailer normally attaches to a special through axle with an attachment at the axle head.
Most bikes have the thru axle head on the left side and the child trailer attachment arms are always bent to the left to accommodate the rear wheel.
On the Orbea unfortunately the thru axle goes in from the other side so the attachment point is on the right side of the bike which means the trailer arm wont fit.
Looking for some tips on how to attach this mess? Is it possible to flip the hardware in the frame to accept the axle from the left?
Thanks!
/QUOTE]
The Robert Axle Project has custom through axles, this one may work, it's for the Wild.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles