Assegai 2.5" Grip vs Assegai 2.6" Terra

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
yes exo plus on the front and an aggressor on the back is the best combo
Except I never mentioned exo or exo plus (assuming you were replying to me )😉
What kind of faults have you had with the Maxxis tyres? I've had a couple of exo casings delaminate (so the tyre wobbles) otherwise I've never had an issue

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I read about Maxxis wobbles. It kind of sounded like the tires are shipped fine.
They are very delicate so if too much force is used to mount them they will wobble.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Now then … I’m about to order an Assegai to try on the front wheel as the bike currently has a Dissector, which according to many random internet opinions isn’t too grippy in the UK’s wet slop

I’m after the max grip version, but no mention of max grip in the description, just this:

3C MaxxTerra
The freeride version of the 3C tires. Much more grip and traction due to softer compounds, with acceptable rolling resistance, so that you can still drive uphill before the great descent, long life

The other option is Exo Protection

Is the 3C Max Terra the grippiest option ? Thanks

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Now then … I’m about to order an Assegai to try on the front wheel as the bike currently has a Dissector, which according to many random internet opinions isn’t too grippy in the UK’s wet slop

I’m after the max grip version, but no mention of max grip in the description, just this:

3C MaxxTerra
The freeride version of the 3C tires. Much more grip and traction due to softer compounds, with acceptable rolling resistance, so that you can still drive uphill before the great descent, long life

The other option is Exo Protection

Is the 3C Max Terra the grippiest option ? Thanks
Hi, No Terra is less gripping than the grip version but still good. Personally I run max terra front and rear to avoid the draggy effect of the max grip version. Assegai front and DHRII rear. Also run Assegai and Aggressor on a couple of other bikes.

Ordinary Human Male

Jun 28, 2021
Australia
aren't 2.5 designed for WT on 30mm rims and 2.6 upwards designed for 35mm rims.
WT are purportedly optimised for 30-35mm internal rim widths.

A 2.5 Assegai on a 30mm ID rim has a perfect profile for a front tyre imo.

Haven't tried that Assegai on a 35mm, but if it's anything like the HR2 in that size it might be too square to lean optimally.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi, No Terra is less gripping than the grip version but still good. Personally I run max terra front and rear to avoid the draggy effect of the max grip version. Assegai front and DHRII rear. Also run Assegai and Aggressor on a couple of other bikes.

Thanks. Yes I was just reading the Maxxis website and spotted the Maxxgrip DH version. We’re far from DH racers, just average trail riders after something a bit more grippy up front. The Maxxgrip version seems to cost far more too! I’ll take a gamble on the Max Terra

Tyre choice is a minefield these days. I just want to ride bikes, not sit and read all the marketing blurb on 1000’s of different tyre types 😅

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Thanks. Yes I was just reading the Maxxis website and spotted the Maxxgrip DH version. We’re far from DH racers, just average trail riders after something a bit more grippy up front. The Maxxgrip version seems to cost far more too! I’ll take a gamble on the Max Terra

Tyre choice is a minefield these days. I just want to ride bikes, not sit and read all the marketing blurb on 1000’s of different tyre types 😅
totally agree with your comment on tyre choice just spent days pondering the same questions before ordering tyres for a new set of wheels :)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Then once you decide the fun starts trying to find it :rolleyes:

I purposely didn’t post a link to where I found them just in case they are low in stock :)

Now that I’ve placed an order I’ll share the link:

They have other options in stock too, such as Exo+ (I didn’t go for that option as most of what we ride is just loam & roots, very few sharp rocks)

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Ive ridden the Assegai 29x2.5WT MaxxTerra(exo) and the the comparable Assgai 29x2.5WT Maxxgrip (DH Casing). This was on the front of my Intense Carbine so not an ebike.

The difference is night and day, I ride pretty hard & fast and I cannot ride a bike without maxxgrip in the front (Assegai or DHF). The increase in grip I would estimate at 25-30% increase (although different conditions dictate). In Christchurch we ride mostly loose over hardpack and grip is key. Maxxterra is fine for a rear tyre (harder wearing) but I would never use one on the front.

When I sold my Carbine I took the Maxxgrip DH Assegai off and will fit it to my Trek rail as soon as it arrives.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Yes completely agree @JP-NZ , maxxgrip on the front is just brilliant, the other reason I love them is the additional support of the DoubleDown casing (I've never tried the DH casing) I would love to see Maxxis extend their range by offering MaxxGrip on EXO+ casing and DD with MaxxTerra (only tyre I could find in MaxxTerra & DD was the DHR2) would love to see the Dissector with the same combo

djuro

Feb 22, 2021
germany
i guess i am one of the few lucky ones who got his hands on a assegai 2.6 dd maxx grip (orbea had them made for their wild fs). i run them on yt decoy with dual crown 190mm, rimpact, 1.4 bar. i compared it to the 2.5 in dd maxxgrip. volume and width (more than .1 inch difference) is actually noticably larger. the 2.5 has an even rounder profile on 32mm rim than 2.6, so 2.5 needs more leaning for side nobbs to bite. 2.5 side nobs stand out visibly wider than sidewall. 2.6 sidenobs are almost flush with sidewall. i am heavy (125kg system weight) and wanted maxxed out front grip. i preferred the 2.6. but now there is no more 2.6 dd maxxgrip available so i ll go with the 2.5. imho given both are maxxgrip, the 2.5 is the "better" more agile option for lighter dh/park racers. the 2.6 is "better" for heavier emtb racers.

Last edited:

Istari

Jan 6, 2021
Poland
I'm riding locally and often whole day trips, so I was thinking about buying Assegai MaxGrip front and Dissector MaxTerra Rear but now I'm not sure if MaxGrip front is worth it.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Assegai MaxGrip front and Dissector MaxTerra Rear but now I'm not sure if MaxGrip front is worth it.
In my opinion (for what it's worth ) it's definitely worth it, yes the MaxxGrip will be a bit more draggy, but being on the front you won't notice it as much, likewise the softer compound on the front won't wear as fast as it would on the rear, and you'll definitely notice the extra grip...besides, you're on an eMTB, a bit of extra drag won't matter much

djuro

Feb 22, 2021
germany
definately maxxgrip front on an ebike. dont even think twice...:) but generally be aware that maxxis only works down to ~6 degrees °Celsius. Below that the compound becomes hard like wood and there is literally zero grip. for these temps get schwalbe or wtb. i know due to first hand experience/crash. only afterwards i checked the net and found maxxis confirming that fact...

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles