Assegai 2.5" Grip vs Assegai 2.6" Terra

Miscel76

Oct 31, 2020
Melbourne
Hi All

I finally decided to try an Assegai as front tyre (29" wheel) on my e-mtb. Now this is the strange situation, Assegai in Grip compound only come to 2.5" width or less. If you want to get it in 2.6" it is only available in Terra compound. Any of you had a chance to try both and tell me which one do you prefer?

Cheers

Michele

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I haven't tried the assegai but on the DHR the difference in compound is huge. The rolling resistance is very noticeable.

Miscel76

Oct 31, 2020
Melbourne
Yep that's what I'm thinking, but the 2.6" is wider hence more grip as well....but which one? How much it would have costed Maxxis to do the 2.6" in "Grip" as well🤦‍♂️

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I like a super grippy front tyre. And as it’s going on the front it will be less draggy than if on the rear. I would go for the grip compound and not worry about the difference in width which is very very minimal anyway🤷

Miscel76

Oct 31, 2020
Melbourne
I like a super grippy front tyre. And as it’s going on the front it will be less draggy than if on the rear. I would go for the grip compound and not worry about the difference in width which is very very minimal anyway🤷
I agree it would have more grip even if tiny skinnier

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
The 2.5 is actually 2.5WT, which is wide trail designed around 30mm internal rims. How different they are to the normal 2.6 im not certain for this tread pattern, but for the DHR and F the tread is spread wider over the casing meaning better for leaning over or off camber, when mounted on a matching wider rim.

How much difference this actually makes and if youd ever notice, who knows. But i like the WT tyres i have as my bikes came with wider rims. Again, is this good or bad depends on who you ask (spoiler, dont ask Gary :ROFLMAO: ).

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
2.5 assegai is a BIG volume tyre.
You want most grip. Buy the Maxx grip 2.5. Clue's in the name bro! 😉

Even in the same compound a larger volume tyre does not always equal MOAR grip. Infact quite the opposite can be true depending on terrain.
And an assegai being an intermediate conditions DH race tyre its tread in 2.5 will work very very well.
There's a good reason most of the world's fastest DH riders still run 2.4-2.5 tyres.

But yeah. Don't ask me. Ask some muppet who doesn't know what they're talking about. But likes to type words anyway 🙄

Last edited:

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
My bike originally came with the 2.6 and I replaced it with the 2.5 MG.....the MG compound is MUCH more effective.

Interesting. I've run both 2.5 and 2.6 MT's and have been happy. I run them because I tear up tires pretty quickly. Maybe I'll give the MG's a try on the front, after I wear these out. Is longevity an issue for you with the MG?

encinoman

Aug 22, 2020
Los Angeles
I live in Southern California where it’s loose over hard pack. Very dry. My front tire was sliding around more than I’d like. I switched from a 2.6 Maxx Terra DHF to a 2.5 Maxx Grip Assegai and the difference in grip and handling is huge. Kind of amazing how grippy it is actually. There has been no issue at all with the downsizing in width.

Miscel76

Oct 31, 2020
Melbourne
I live in Southern California where it’s loose over hard pack. Very dry. My front tire was sliding around more than I’d like. I switched from a 2.6 Maxx Terra DHF to a 2.5 Maxx Grip Assegai and the difference in grip and handling is huge. Kind of amazing how grippy it is actually. There has been no issue at all with the downsizing in width.
That's the review I was looking for! Thanks Mate👍

encinoman

Aug 22, 2020
Los Angeles
incase you missed it. My point was. You're comparing completely different tread paterns. Not just compounds
In case you missed it, Assegai doesn’t come in 2.6, so it’s impossible to compare 2.5 and 2.6 in that tread pattern. The original post was asking about width and compound comparison. Ok bye troll.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Which one rolled better and did the winner have noticeably less grip?
Max terra compound rolls much better. I went from max terra exo casing front and rear DHR to front n rear max grip double down casing and the difference was very very noticeable😆. for me the rear grip made no difference but the max grip up font was confidence building. But then again Ii've fallen off using both, and probably would if my tyres were on rails.😕

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
In case you missed it, Assegai doesn’t come in 2.6, so it’s impossible to compare 2.5 and 2.6 in that tread pattern. The original post was asking about width and compound comparison. Ok bye troll.
*sigh* You still don't get it do you?
Comparing TWO completely different tyre tread designs will not highlight the difference in size or compound at all.
Hence me highlighting the irrelevance of your comparison.
Comparing two tyres with the exact same tread, casing and volume/size but different compounds. The difference in compound becomes the comparible variable.
Comparing two tyres with the exact same tread patern, compound and casing BUT different volume. Volume becomes the comparible variable.
The tread design of a DHF doesn't behave like an ASSEGAI at it's limit of traction. and the two tyre tread designs behave differently over various terrain conditions and ground types.
Nevermind though.

Have a nice day

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Dual compound is the fastest rolling longest lasting compound available for most sizes of an Assegai/DHF/DHRII. Obviously at the expense of grip level. But they still offer plenty grip if you've chosen a tread patern appropriate to your terrain, conditions and riding style.

*there is actually an even harder wearing, faster rolling less grippy single compound but it's not available across the whole range of treads, casings and sizes

Last edited:

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I never used an assegai. I just put a DHF 29X 3.0 it is great. Maybe there is a size and compound that you would appreciate.
Good luck shopping.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I love the Assegai 2.5 maxxgrip in DD casing as a front tyre. Rolling resistance and weight don't matter on an eMTB unless you're trying to maximize range, and the DoubleDown casing is extremely supportive, which is important given the extra weight of the bike. As for longevity I've had the Assegai on the front for about 22 months, it's well past its best now though and due for replacement. I tried a Dissector on the rear, also in MaxxGrip/DD, loved it but it wore down too quickly - 6 months - so I now run an Aggressor in DualCompound/DD which I find is a good compromise between wear and grip, and still has the support of the heavy casing

crazyethnic

Sep 26, 2018
Australia Victoria
yes exo plus on the front and an aggressor on the back is the best combo But I have stopped buying them because of the number of faulty ones that have gone to the new butcher T9 with good results.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles