Arthritic Knees.

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
I have arthritis in both knees and have had one knee replaced, the flex on this replaced knee is just enough to get me over the top on a pedal stroke.
However, I do need to place my foot more central on the pedal as opposed to being on the front of the foot.
Though not ideal, I have been doing it this way for over 4 years and got used to it.
As my knee joint warms up I can get my foot nearer to where it should be, but only by a few millimetres.
I also do some knee bending exercises to encourage more flex.
Anyway, just wondered if anyone had similar experience with replacement knee's and how best to improve pedalling dynamics and efficiencies.
Thanks

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
.....well some good news for you..........placing your foot more central on the pedal rather than using the balls of your feet is far better for an MTB/EMTB. Better grip, better control and better enables flexible movement on the bike. Balls of the feet pedalling is more applicable to roadies.

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
.....well some good news for you..........placing your foot more central on the pedal rather than using the balls of your feet is far better for an MTB/EMTB. Better grip, better control and better enables flexible movement on the bike. Balls of the feet pedalling is more applicable to roadies.
Thanks for the reply, I am used to it after 4 years or so. Just wondered if there was something I should be considering as an option - shorter cranks !!, certainly more flex exercise.
One negative is that the foot sticking out further does clobber the occasional rock.

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
@phlodge Many on here fit shorter cranks to avoid hitting rocks; no hint of it being for knee problems.
What length are your cranks?
165mm. Just looking for shorter cranks, seems that 155mm is the shortest. so only 10mm difference.
I fitted 155mm Hope cranks to my outgoing Levo which was 175mm and that did make a difference.
Apparently I need ISIS Gen 4 or something of that nature.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have arthritis in both knees and have had one knee replaced, the flex on this replaced knee is just enough to get me over the top on a pedal stroke.
However, I do need to place my foot more central on the pedal as opposed to being on the front of the foot.
Though not ideal, I have been doing it this way for over 4 years and got used to it.
As my knee joint warms up I can get my foot nearer to where it should be, but only by a few millimetres.
I also do some knee bending exercises to encourage more flex.
Anyway, just wondered if anyone had similar experience with replacement knee's and how best to improve pedalling dynamics and efficiencies.
Thanks
Pedaling Innovations Catalyst One pedals are designed for your foot to pedal centrally on the pedals. Not cheap but it sounds like they'll do what you want. I use them.

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
Pedaling Innovations Catalyst One pedals are designed for your foot to pedal centrally on the pedals. Not cheap but it sounds like they'll do what you want. I use them.

Thanks for the link, indeed they are expensive and doesnt appear to be any direct UK source. Looks like its from the USA only. There are some on ebay at £200. Gulp !!!!

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Thanks for the link, indeed they are expensive and doesnt appear to be any direct UK source. Looks like its from the USA only. There are some on ebay at £200. Gulp !!!!
I bought mine direct from Pedaling Innovations and saved quite a lot but yes, they are still expensive. But they are "game changers". Pedaling and standing on your toes is a carry-over from road cycling. I tuned my pin configuration to work best with my (flat) shoes, wouldn't be without them now for normal pedaing, and standing up down hill they are absolutely epic!

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
I have the same problem, started riding without clipping in because my ancle/knee could not make it over the top stroke where my shoe clips were.

Stretching and warming up is a must. Getting new knee at the end of the month.

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
I have the same problem, started riding without clipping in because my ancle/knee could not make it over the top stroke where my shoe clips were.

Stretching and warming up is a must. Getting new knee at the end of the month.
Good luck with the new knee. My other knee will no doubt need doing in few years.
Post op, if you do the exercise and perhaps a bit more once it gets stronger you won’t have a problem. Mine has been great and had no issues in 4 years
Even the consultant was surprised at the progress. I stopped using a crutch within 2 weeks and was driving within 4 weeks
Only issue is that flex to get over the top on the pedal stroke.
Knowing what I know now, maybe I just accept my foot in the central position on the pedal and it’s not a problem.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
you dont need special pedals. Any flat pedal enables you to place your foot centrally over the axle. The main difference between flat pedals is whether they are flat or concave ( and of course they vary in length/width and thickness).
The biggest change that will assist in pushing through the top of the crank rotation is your hip position in relation to the BB. The position of your saddle plus the rake of the saddle on its rails are the main tools to influence that. Note as well that the angle of your foot on the pedals has a huge influence on the balance of the bike fore and aft as well as the security of your riding position. Toe down pushes weight to the front of the bike, heel down the reverse. Heel down also puts your feet in a push and opposing position to forces that would otherwise pull you over the front of the bike. This all has most effect when stood on the pedals rather than when seated.......but then seated gives you very few control options when riding offroad anyway so is best avoided!

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
you dont need special pedals. Any flat pedal enables you to place your foot centrally over the axle. The main difference between flat pedals is whether they are flat or concave ( and of course they vary in length/width and thickness).
The biggest change that will assist in pushing through the top of the crank rotation is your hip position in relation to the BB. The position of your saddle plus the rake of the saddle on its rails are the main tools to influence that. Note as well that the angle of your foot on the pedals has a huge influence on the balance of the bike fore and aft as well as the security of your riding position. Toe down pushes weight to the front of the bike, heel down the reverse. Heel down also puts your feet in a push and opposing position to forces that would otherwise pull you over the front of the bike. This all has most effect when stood on the pedals rather than when seated.......but then seated gives you very few control options when riding offroad anyway so is best avoided!
If you are referring to Pedaling Innovations pedals, they are not "special pedals". They are longer than you are used to (and for example the Deity Tmac pedals I used before) in order to deliver power to the cranks in the most efficient way.

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
I have gone for shorter crank arms ie 150mm. Got them at a good price so worth seeing if that makes a difference. Recently bought new flat pedals which are quite large so a bit reluctant to sink nearly £200 in another pair. Might have a rethink if all else fails.
Thanks all for the responses .. most appreciated.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have gone for shorter crank arms ie 150mm. Got them at a good price so worth seeing if that makes a difference. Recently bought new flat pedals which are quite large so a bit reluctant to sink nearly £200 in another pair. Might have a rethink if all else fails.
Thanks all for the responses .. most appreciated.
If you want to try putting your feet more centrally in your pedals you will probably need to drop your seat a little.

PS - The toe position on mtb flat pedals is a carry over from mtb cleat pedals which is in turn a carry over from road cleat pedals.

Edit: add "PS"

Last edited:

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
Your new knee should be more flexible than that. How long out from surgery are you? Find a physical therapist to help you work on that. They can show you how to do some heavy stretching on that knee after it’s warmed up. Typically it’s buildup of scar tissue keeping you from reaching better flexibility.

wild child

Aug 22, 2023
Northeast Pennsylvania
165mm. Just looking for shorter cranks, seems that 155mm is the shortest. so only 10mm difference.
I fitted 155mm Hope cranks to my outgoing Levo which was 175mm and that did make a difference.
Apparently I need ISIS Gen 4 or something of that nature.
Increase your range of motion in your knee i have a new right knee and getting left next month i rode 2200 emtb miles this past summer to get ready for replacement you can do it just push lil more each bend

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
Increase your range of motion in your knee i have a new right knee and getting left next month i rode 2200 emtb miles this past summer to get ready for replacement you can do it just push lil more each bend
I am doing some stretches and bends which is beginning to increase flex, but not by a lot. Probably need to go see a physio and get some exercises designed for that purpose.

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
Your new knee should be more flexible than that. How long out from surgery are you? Find a physical therapist to help you work on that. They can show you how to do some heavy stretching on that knee after it’s warmed up. Typically it’s buildup of scar tissue keeping you from reaching better flexibility.
Seem to have lost a few degrees flex since the operation 4 years ago
That loss of a few degrees makes a big difference.
Doesn’t stop me riding just done 25 muddy miles this morning. I do have to keep messing around with the dropper seat height as my knee warms up
Yes think a physio is the best idea.
Thanks

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
Talk to your orthopedist as well. Sometimes they will recommend a knee manipulation under anesthesia where they forcefully bend and break apart scar tissue around the knee in order to improve mobility. They do this with you completely asleep. Sounds terrible but most of the soft tissue inside the knee has actually been removed by the surgery already.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles