Are spoke magnets a no no.

WildGuy

Mar 12, 2020
Cyprus
But even so I'm betting very soon no maker will go the design choice to have a spoke magnet. The magnet in disc is more secure, looks neater, and also looks neater from the point of view of the sensor which becomes invisible, and aligned with the brake rotor the sensor is also in a location far less vulnerable to damage. However, the frame did have to be designed with that in mind. The bike I've ordered is an old frame probably designed before magnets in brake rotor came to the fore, so perhaps that's the main reason it'll be coming with spoke magnet.

Goderrs

Jul 23, 2019
Crawley
The rental bikes we hire in les gets area are cube and given the terrain we have been riding in there the last two years never had a n issue with the spoke magnets. But from atheistic point of view I would prefer the integrated route, hopefully the 2021 bikes will address this.

WildGuy

Mar 12, 2020
Cyprus
Fair enough. Pardon my poor choice of expression... I'm not normally that aggressive when it comes to criticisms coming from editorials regarding bicycles.

I have to admit that my reaction has more to do with the pandemic at large, lockdown isolation, collapsing businesses, lost livelihoods, death tolls... it's overwhelming and eating me up underneath. In the midst of such a global catastrophe, a magazine article taking exception to a magnet spoke (I don't really mind where it's mounted) was just a bit much for me to handle. I realise I've taken it out of context and shouldn't have juxtaposed it in the prevailing madness and uncertainty of our times. My spurn crept up on me out of the blue. Appreciate that you called it... made me reflect and sort out an emotional reset. (y):coffee:

Yes, I think, taking into account the current situation, that reviewer should have followed Jacinda's advice to "be kind" to that bike and simply wrote "this bike is a lovely bike, faultless in every way". lol

Have to say I never imagined my comments might induce an emotional reset beneficial to mental health and well-being, but thanks for letting me know - always happy to help! And I definitely think I should be awarded a shed load of forum points for that! ;)

Anyways, your in New Zealand, just about the world's least affected country, so do as Bobby: "Don't Worry, Be Happy" :)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I've only had 2 occasions where a spoke magnet has caused an issue. So not too much of a problem there.

Nothing really that wrong with spoke magnets.

It's just not the most well thought out solution. For a premium bike of say £5K+ I'd expect the designers to have looked at every detail, including how to neaten up the spoke magnet and integrate it into the rear rotor.

Same for cables, screen placement and integration at the front. To me it tells me how much thought has gone into the entire package.

Rewind to 2007. Both of these made phone calls ?

palm-treo-compare-review.png

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Yes, I think, taking into account the current situation, that reviewer should have followed Jacinda's advice to "be kind" to that bike and simply wrote "this bike is a lovely bike, faultless in every way". lol

Have to say I never imagined my comments might induce an emotional reset beneficial to mental health and well-being, but thanks for letting me know - always happy to help! And I definitely think I should be awarded a shed load of forum points for that! ;)

Anyways, your in New Zealand, just about the world's least affected country, so do as Bobby: "Don't Worry, Be Happy" :)
I have family and friends living overseas... enjoy your points.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I've only had 2 occasions where a spoke magnet has caused an issue. So not too much of a problem there.

It's just not the most well thought out solution. For a premium bike of say £5K+ I'd expect the designers to have looked at every detail, including how to neaten up the spoke magnet and integrate it into the rear rotor.

Same for cables, screen placement and integration at the front. To me it tells me how much thought has gone into the entire package.

Rewind to 2007. Both of these made phone calls ?

View attachment 30600
Yup that Palm was the daddy back then :cool:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you really wanted too, at least on a shimano, you could convert to a disc mount by buying the appropriate parts and getting busy with the zipties.

WildGuy

Mar 12, 2020
Cyprus
I have family and friends living overseas... enjoy your points.
I've none extra to enjoy :(. Even though Rob's recently been on this thread he never awarded me any extra for sorting you out so I'm still only on 18 points :cry: . Seems all he cares about is electric bike chit chat and not people's mental health. Perhaps you could have a word with him?

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
Originally all EMTB's had spoke magnets, then over the last 18 months or so we have seen the various brands develop different options of mounting the sensor and magnet. The actual sensors and magnets are no different in cost from Shimano/Bosch etc. Where it is potentially cheaper is in the frame design, but I cant really see that. Of course the downside to the magnet on the rear disc is that it can limit your choice of disc depending on how the magnet is mounted, and as such I think some brands stick with the spoke magnet due to this. I would say its more a design choice than anything else.
For my YT, unless they change the 6 bolt configuration, I'll have options of any discs I want. I do see your point though, change for the sake of change is never a good thing. Spoke magnets have advantages in flexibility and I have never lost one.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Belts and braces. Buy a spare and put it on the front wheel and forget about it until you need it . Also, when you change your back wheel, don’t ride up the road wondering why your bike is not working properly, and then remembering that you haven’t swapped the magnet as well. Like I did?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Yes... the magnet in itself (be it like a monkey awkwardly resting halfway up a coconut tree) doesn't really pose that big an issue. The real problem associated with it however - is the location (and therefore vulnerability) of the speed sensor, because it usually has to stick further in from the narrow portion of the swingarm to be close to the magnet. What this means is that every time we remove our rear wheels, the rim and/or tyre could inadvertently bump the sensor. I do keep an eye out for it, but I still bump it sometimes - while handling the chain against the cassette and because eMTB tyres are pretty wide.

Having the magnet on the disc brake rotor is obviously a more elegant engineering approach. But that could hinder users from swapping to preferred aftermarket rotors that are not designed to accept magnets (until the industry catches up). Also, the magnet mass may also act as a heat-sink which could cool one rotor spoke more so than the rest... which could cause the rotor to warp in situations where these rather thin discs reach extreme ’black-n-blue’ hot. Magnets don't go well together with heat either because they could demagnetise over time. The bike industry would also have to agree on a standardised location for these 'rotor magnets' for universal interchangeability, and manufacturers aren't always known to be cooperative in that respect. We might get there in the end (one would hope), but I can understand why some brands choose to stick with the 'spoke magnet' for now.

However as you and the rest of us have surmised, having a spoke magnet config in the meantime is not worth losing sleep over.

Last edited:

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Hi, I think I have settled on a cube stereo tm 140 emtb to buy. Can anyone allay my fears about the spoke magnet issue with many bikes including this one? That spoke magnets are liable to falling off causing bike not work?? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Is there really a "spoke magnet issue"? Or did you just read a few random posts about some magnets falling and all of a sudden you're calling it an issue?

You're overthinking it. It's not an "issue."

Buy your e-MTB already and enjoy it... then buy a spare magnet for $4 if you really fear losing one. Or use some threadlock.

chewyyid

Apr 13, 2020
Bangor, Gwynedd
Is there really a "spoke magnet issue"? Or did you just read a few random posts about some magnets falling and all of a sudden you're calling it an issue?

You're overthinking it. It's not an "issue."

Buy your e-MTB already and enjoy it... then buy a spare magnet for $4 if you really fear losing one. Or use some threadlock.
I guess I've been referring to a certain German emtb magazine which has given extensive reviews for 2020 bike. The bike I'm hoping to buy wins the best buy under 5k. They are just very critical of the spoke magnet design with it being exposed (they lost one on ride review) to going missing. Now if you spend 5k on a bike you kind of want to know how likely this is to happen. It's good to hear some of the replies on here of emtb riders not put off spending big bucks due to the criticised design.

WildGuy

Mar 12, 2020
Cyprus
I've none extra to enjoy :(. Even though Rob's recently been on this thread he never awarded me any extra for sorting you out so I'm still only on 18 points :cry: . Seems all he cares about is electric bike chit chat and not people's mental health. Perhaps you could have a word with him?
I Repent! I repent and confess my non-believing sins!! For lo and behold a miracle: more forum points - big beautiful forum points - than you could shake a crook at have miraculously resurrected themselves. There is one true god after all and he cares for all his pedal-assisted flock. I only hope the Lord Rob doesn't so readily taketh with the one hand what he so munificently giveth with the other :unsure:. Hmm....maybe if I visit the alter to subscribe I can remain his chosen son :sneaky:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The points etc area automatically given when you reach certain milestone, e.g 50 likes, 100 posts etc etc. You can see in your profile the points you have, I have never paid much attention but from time to time I see the tags under my name change. No idea who has the most!

Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 12.32.13.png

Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 12.32.28.png

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Belts and braces. Buy a spare and put it on the front wheel and forget about it until you need it . Also, when you change your back wheel, don’t ride up the road wondering why your bike is not working properly, and then remembering that you haven’t swapped the magnet as well. Like I did?
Unless the front one falls off first...........you didn’t think about that did you Bill
????

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I think Trek (Rail) have it in the frame and it looks very neat. They also have a hinged charging point cover so the rubber bung (Cube) doesn’t keep falling out.
Won’t affect performance and just design features but less to worry about!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes the latest Treks are very well though out in terms of reliability and accessibility of all the boring stuff on a bike that if not designed well ends up making life a PITA.

chewyyid

Apr 13, 2020
Bangor, Gwynedd
Yes the latest Treks are very well though out in terms of reliability and accessibility of all the boring stuff on a bike that if not designed well ends up making life a PITA.
Does the trek rail have the same battery setup (removable power tube 625) as the cube stereo? I would like to interchange battery with my cube Kathmandu for added range you see.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Same battery but different mounting system in terms of integrated covers etc - so do able but not just taking one out of the other, I presume you would have to remove the trek cover first etc etc

Screenshot 2020-05-09 at 21.34.21.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles