Are expensive bike lights a rip off?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I just like the wider beam and how it’s laid out, I don’t like the torch ring of the exposures as much, Rob managed to make them look absolutely woeful compared to magicshine but then I don’t think he activated the light properly

The bulbs will burn hot so will fade over time thats for sure where’s the exposures don’t but it’s just getting one that works and isn’t plagued by software gremlins

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I thought of supporting local and I bought £350 Exposure light. The light was dead on arrival, and I could not resuscitate it. Sent it back, took them 3 weeks to test that it is in fact dead! At that point I requested a refund which took another week.

Its a good point. I’m quite close to USE, so banking on just driving over to get support in person if I needed it. I often find when I turn up in person with a fierce look in my eyes, they tend to comply (or at least thats how I met my wife 😀)

I’m not really patriotic, spent a large part of my adult life working and living out of britain and plan to keep exploring in the future out of the country; just hoping I guess that Id get ok service vs having to ship internationally at cost to get things sorted.

it’s just getting one that works and isn’t plagued by software gremlins

Another good point, hoping it ‘just works’ and USE have learnt from the older bugs (the release notes of the later firmwares mention

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Its a good point. I’m quite close to USE, so banking on just driving over to get support in person if I needed it. I often find when I turn up in person with a fierce look in my eyes, they tend to comply (or at least thats how I met my wife )

I’m not really patriotic, spent a large part of my adult life working and living out of britain and plan to keep exploring in the future out of the country; just hoping I guess that Id get ok service vs having to ship internationally at cost to get things sorted.

Another good point, hoping it ‘just works’ and USE have learnt from the older bugs (the release notes of the later firmwares mention

Every time I phoned Exposure, I spoke to an angel trying to help, which was very difficult to get cross with.

Sadly, she was not able to help, because of the process inefficiency. Eventually I stopped asking for replacement and I requested a refund.

Good for you @MrSimmo, talented Brits do very well on the main land

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Every time I phoned Exposure, I spoke to an angel trying to help, which was very difficult to get cross with.

Sadly, she was not able to help, because of the process inefficiency. Eventually I stopped asking for replacement and I requested a refund.

Good for you @MrSimmo, talented Brits do very well on the main land

Lol I wouldnt say I was talented; just have the kind of job which requires me to travel 😬

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
So my Zenith came back from Exposure with updated firmware. Took about two weeks, but it now seems to work well and I've had no more issues.

Some more impressions having used it on another 3 or 4 rides.

I found the full 2k lumens to be too bright in the woods, not in terms of overall light (I'm running a MaaxD on the bars putting out 4k (allegedly)), but I found it blew out the shadows and made it harder to read the terrain. Dropping it down a notch doubles burn time to a useful 2 or 6 hours, and the output seems perfect for riding in the twisty woods. Bright enough to see around corners and not so bright that bumps disappear or trees dazzle.

I don't like the Tap feature. More often than not I'm just hitting myself in the head to little effect. I have found it hard to find a setting where it reliably changes when I want it to and doesn't change on rough terrain or when skimming past bushes. I also found it hard to not move the light in the mount as I slap my head. The button is easy to access and use, so now I'm just doing that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles