Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Product Image:
applewatchseries4falldetection.jpg

Product name: Apple Watch with Fall Detection
Price paid: $400 Plus iPhone if your not already a user
Score (out of 10): 10

Review: I originally purchased it earlier this year when I was regularly loosing consciousness and collapsing to the floor only to wake up later. I discovered it also worked when crashing on the trail...on accident.

I ride alone mostly and it seems to work very well for Mountain biking as long as you HAVE CELL SERVICE - IT IS REQUIRED FOR IT TO CALL EMERGENCY SERVICES. It also sends a text to your emergency contacts.

Watch my video if you like, but in short: It does automatically alert others to your fall after a few min, but only if you lay still during that time. After detecting a fall it will begin to vibrate and ring in an attempt to wake you up and alert others near you that something has gone awry. If you are moving: it asks if you've fallen and are OK? Or if you've fallen and need help? Or if you even fell?

There are other systems out there that work via satellite but I think they require user input to send out the alerts. So if your unconscious it does nothing for you. I do prefer the apple watch since it also has a lot of other functions, some I didn't realize I'd want or need. And it even tells time.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I've seen those as well, didn't realize they made the call for you though. I picked up the watch due to what was found to be a heart condition but if I didn't have the watch I'd still most likely want something since I ride alone 90% of the time.

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
My Garmin watch and 830 do the same .. I also have to switch the blessed thing off as my wife had started phoning me if she didn't het an alert :rolleyes:

My issue with Apple watches ( I have had 2) is that the screen cracks if it is dropped itself , especially on corners of watch . Impossible to replace the last thing I knew ( haven't had one for 2 years now, so may now be better?).

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
There are a number of protective cases available for Apple watches.

It might be a good idea to get one unless you want an excuse to upgrade to a newer model. ?

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
There are a number of protective cases available for Apple watches.

It might be a good idea to get one unless you want an excuse to upgrade to a newer model. ?
I have a rugged case on mine with replaceable screen protectors. More because I bash it into door knobs and such all day. Not sure that it would survive a fall in a rock garden though.

I'm not in need of a new helmet yet but have been looking at the angi system though - as I do ride alone most of the time. With two replaced hips and a pacemaker it makes me feel better that they'd at least find my body.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I have a rugged case on mine with replaceable screen protectors.
I might get that.
My kids got me the Apple iwatch 4 after my stroke a few years ago. Never wore a watch before then. Now it’s with me.
Emergency mode went off after a couple of crashes but I clicked that I was ok.

I don’t know if it activated when I had my bad crash. I was out of cell range at the time. Another rider found me and my bike half in a creek.
Anyways, I wear the iWatch all the time mainly because I ride alone. Cell service is sketchy on our trails so I also use a few safety features while I’m riding.
And she tracks me?. She noticed I wasn’t moving for a while the other day and started phoning and texting me. I was talking to another biker and didn’t realize it was her. I was in big-trouble. Won’t do that again.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I might get that.
My kids got me the Apple iwatch 4 after my stroke a few years ago. Never wore a watch before then. Now it’s with me.
Emergency mode went off after a couple of crashes but I clicked that I was ok.

I don’t know if it activated when I had my bad crash. I was out of cell range at the time. Another rider found me and my bike half in a creek.
Anyways, I wear the iWatch all the time mainly because I ride alone. Cell service is sketchy on our trails so I also use a few safety features while I’m riding.
And she tracks me?. She noticed I wasn’t moving for a while the other day and started phoning and texting me. I was talking to another biker and didn’t realize it was her. I was in big-trouble. Won’t do that again.

These are what I ordered.
case
Screen guards

I ordered my Apple Watch on a Sunday and collapsed in the office on Monday with a full AV block. Had a pacemaker installed and now don't really need the watch for what I had ordered it for in the first place. It does make me and my family feel better knowing they would get an alert if anything happened - as long as I have cell service.

There is a satellite version that is available, not a watch but a standalone device. I don't think they are anymore $ than the apple watch and do require a membership to their service. Most importantly you have to push a button to call for help - which may or may not be possible.

Ultimately, I do dig my apple watch just for everyday stuff.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
These are what I ordered.
case
Screen guards

I ordered my Apple Watch on a Sunday and collapsed in the office on Monday with a full AV block. Had a pacemaker installed and now don't really need the watch for what I had ordered it for in the first place. It does make me and my family feel better knowing they would get an alert if anything happened - as long as I have cell service.

There is a satellite version that is available, not a watch but a standalone device. I don't think they are anymore $ than the apple watch and do require a membership to their service. Most importantly you have to push a button to call for help - which may or may not be possible.

Ultimately, I do dig my apple watch just for everyday stuff.

Good to hear.
I think I’m gonna get that case protection. Perfect for what I need. ??

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
This is a feature with mtb ANGi devices available with many bike helmets and similar BT over the phone bike nav systems.
I fall so much they eventually just go ignored.

I have these on two of my Fox helmets, great pieces of kit, though obviously reliant on phone reception.

hogicid

Jun 2, 2023
United States
Product Image: View attachment 46401

Product name: Apple Watch with Fall Detection
Price paid: $400 Plus iPhone if your not already a user
Score (out of 10): 10

Review: I originally purchased it earlier this year when I was regularly loosing consciousness and collapsing to the floor only to wake up later. I discovered it also worked when crashing on the trail...on accident.

I ride alone mostly and it seems to work very well for Mountain biking as long as you HAVE CELL SERVICE - IT IS REQUIRED FOR IT TO CALL EMERGENCY SERVICES. It also sends a text to your emergency contacts.

Watch my video if you like, but in short: It does automatically alert others to your fall after a few min, but only if you lay still during that time. After detecting a fall it will begin to vibrate and ring in an attempt to wake you up and alert others near you that something has gone awry. If you are moving: it asks if you've fallen and are OK? Or if you've fallen and need help? Or if you even fell?

There are other systems out there that work via satellite but I think they require user input to send out the alerts. So if your unconscious it does nothing for you iCloud activation lock removal for Apple Watch. I do prefer the apple watch since it also has a lot of other functions, some I didn't realize I'd want or need. And it even tells time.

I have a Series 6 and am constantly given messages asking if I have fallen when bumping my arm, which is fine. However, I fell off of a roof last month (nothing broken!) and it did not detect the fall. My mother has a Series 8 and fell twice yesterday and it did not detect the either of the falls. We will both reset and check that it is on, but this feature is useless if it does not work all of the time.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Series 4 here. Two times I wish it called the emergency numbers …it didn’t. I imagine the impact wasn’t hard enough in the iwatch area to trigger a call. The other 6 or so impact calls were triggered by minor crashes. Usually there is enough time to stop the call (1minute I think). But if you can’t reach the iwatch to shut off the call …panic kicks in.

I had fell off a skinny, with a drop at the end and wound up going OTB and into some brambles. No big deal. But my iwatch was triggered and started a countdown. My iwatch and arm were above my head and out of reach. A small limb had slid between my watch band and my wrist. My bike was on my body. I eventually pulled down on the limb until it broke and stopped the countdown.

Getting off the trail was important too because I knew someone was racing down behind me and I was in a bad spot.