Apple AirTag - Trek Powerfly & Rail

hikomun

Nov 7, 2021
Italy
Hi everyone, I have a powerfly FS5G2 (2020) and a trek rail 9.8 XT (2022).

I have two apple airtags, I was thinking of using them for my two bikes.
Did any of you do it with your own trek bike?
I was thinking of putting the airtag inside the battery compartment!
What do you think?

Thank you.

hikomun

Nov 7, 2021
Italy
Thank you
I agree, I did some tests, the airtag takes very little inside the battery compartment.

I don't think the Stealth Tubeless tag holder is for me, I would destroy it.

I just bought the Secure Tag Holder that fits into the bottle cage. Always better than nothing!

superchiwawa

Jun 9, 2021
Beer land
There's a better place in the frame that doesn't block RF much due to the use of some different materials. But don't want to advertise it...Hint: it's further away from your balls. Fitted to both, no range issues.

hikomun

Nov 7, 2021
Italy
There's a better place in the frame that doesn't block RF much due to the use of some different materials. But don't want to advertise it...Hint: it's further away from your balls. Fitted to both, no range issues.
Thank you! I think that I have understand..
I wanted to send you a private message but I couldn't.
Could you contact me?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My better half just found out I didn’t attach an AirTag to her bike. I had some-explaning-to-do.😳.
So…off to the Apple store tomorrow. 4-pack it is. Her bike. Her keys. Her purse. Her other purse. I’m probably missing something. 🤔

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Yep, mine's in the frame. Works great, can't be removed without the battery key, carbon frame is nice and radio transparent.

superchiwawa

Jun 9, 2021
Beer land
Yep, mine's in the frame. Works great, can't be removed without the battery key, carbon frame is nice and radio transparent.

Actually carbon fiber is quite conductive and thus has a something of a Fadaray cage effect. It also absorbs radio waves, so is more of an RF shield. What does helps is the wires and metal shielded hose and cable guides that pass nearby that act as antennas. Just my general knowledge 2 cents... :)

Last edited:

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Actually carbon fiber is quite conductive and thus has a something of a Fadaray cage effect. It also absorbs radio waves, so is more of an RF shield. What does helps is the wires and metal shielded hose and cable guides that pass nearby and act as antennas. Just my general knowledge 2 cents... :)
Did not know that about carbon, interesting. Presumably your other points are also valid though as it works well. :)

A mate got one of those Muc-Off mounts to put the tag in the tyre. Junk, didn't work well at all, the valve kept coming unscrewed. He sent it back.

superchiwawa

Jun 9, 2021
Beer land
Did not know that about carbon, interesting. Presumably your other points are also valid though as it works well. :)

A mate got one of those Muc-Off mounts to put the tag in the tyre. Junk, didn't work well at all, the valve kept coming unscrewed. He sent it back.
In all fairness my general knowledge is fuelled google and physics stack exchange as a source ☺

Those muc-off mounts sound like a quick to market chinese job... If they acutally spent the time testing, they may have something decent. A nice enough idea, maybe a little ignorant..?

Last edited:

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
I have one Airtag, exactly in battery compartment. Its working since a year. Battery of airtag is still 100%, so its pretty efficient. No issues so far in alu frame.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I have one Airtag, exactly in battery compartment. Its working since a year. Battery of airtag is still 100%, so its pretty efficient. No issues so far in alu frame.
Based on what I know, you’re doing everything wrong, but everything is right. This gives me hope. 👍🏻

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
I picked up from Amazon self-adhesive silicone airtag cases, 2 for $8. Stuck it inside the battery compartment of my Rail 5 (alloy) more or less under the bottle cage. Works great, anti-stalking feature means it makes noise when moving the nike if it hasn't registered with my iphone every few days (3?) which is rarely.

RolfRapRap

Mar 27, 2023
Switzerland
I put mine behind the charge port

IMG_0537.jpeg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles