Anyone tried the Stfu bike drive-train damper to damper the clucking in the Ep8?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have just bought a bike with an EP8 motor and it is really quiet compared to my previous e8000. Yes there is a slight clinking noise when I'm not pedalling; the roller bearing clutch I believe is the cause, rattling when not under pressure. But it is the roller clutch that gives the EP8 its reduced friction and extra range, which are significant benefits. For me to hear the clinking, the trail surface has to be quiet, which it seldom is. So I have zero problems with the clinking noise. It may get noisier as the miles increase of course, but currently I have to concentrate to hear it.

Back to the STFU damper. The purpose of that device is to stop the chain from bouncing up and down on the chain stay and it seems to work. But you need two, so it's not a cheap solution. But solution to what? As a solution to the chain slapping on the stay, yes. As a solution to the roller clutch inside the motor rattling, I don't see how it can.

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
I have just bought a bike with an EP8 motor and it is really quiet compared to my previous e8000. Yes there is a slight clinking noise when I'm not pedalling; the roller bearing clutch I believe is the cause, rattling when not under pressure. But it is the roller clutch that gives the EP8 its reduced friction and extra range, which are significant benefits. For me to hear the clinking, the trail surface has to be quiet, which it seldom is. So I have zero problems with the clinking noise. It may get noisier as the miles increase of course, but currently I have to concentrate to hear it.

Back to the STFU damper. The purpose of that device is to stop the chain from bouncing up and down on the chain stay and it seems to work. But you need two, so it's not a cheap solution. But solution to what? As a solution to the chain slapping on the stay, yes. As a solution to the roller clutch inside the motor rattling, I don't see how it can.
Ok, good that the clunking is much of an issue. Many riders say that after a while they don’t here the noise anymore due to they gotten used to it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ok, good that the clunking is much of an issue. Many riders say that after a while they don’t here the noise anymore due to they gotten used to it.
On my first real ride, about 4 hours in the forest and on a reclaimed slag heap near an old coal mine, it just was not an issue for me. I had no need to get used to it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles