Anyone know how to get a new internal battery for the E8000 bikes in the USA?

Lencho

May 23, 2018
Franklin, TN
My sad story;
I have a 2018 jam2 here in the U.S.. Battery replaced under warranty right at 24 months. With Focus pulling out of the USA, and knowing these battery fail, I started to inquire about getting another internal battery to have on hand to keep peace of mind while I enjoy the bike I love (various upgrades to suspension, brakes and drive train). This would allow me to feel better about keeping it longer if I had access to a backup internal battery. Focus finally responded (numerous emails) with an email to their USA Warranty/Service Dept. asking them to help me. They then responded saying how can we help? Then all communication has stopped, with both sources copied on the follow up emails!!

Went to plan B to see if I could get my first warranty battery that I still have rebuilt. Inquired at Hi-C Battery out of California and got this response:
Unfortunately the Focus Jam2 battery cannot be rebuilt. The electronic BMS inside locks up when you attempt to remove power from it and the battery will no longer work even with new cells installed.

We would be happy to take your broken battery for research purposes if your just going to throw it out.

Very uncertain how or if another internal battery can be secured here in the US. Have the external battery, too, but when my first battery went bad, it shut the bike down so that the still functional external battery becomes useless. Sad...

At this point I guess I just have to ride it till it dies, again, and then spend the high cost to get a new bike. No more internal batteries for me! And, if I stay with the Shimano motors, which I like, the battery will be Shimano, as well. Having Shimano's support for both battery and motor is key for me, now. Feel like I've pissed in the wind buying a Focus. Focus sucks (not their bikes, the company's support).

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
How about writing to German focus support?it might be expensive to ship battery overseas, but still cheaper than the new bike though

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
My internal battery died in November, two months out of warranty. New Zealand distributor applied to Focus for warranty anyway. They said yes and said a new battery would be about 4 weeks away. 8 weeks later they said new battery was gonna be another 10 weeks. LBS had a go at distributor so they sent a used loan battery to keep me going (battery health on this showed as 98%). Distributor said because they mucked me around, I can keep the loan battery as well as the new replacement when it comes. Pretty happy with that outcome. Worth noting that I also have a TEC pack but it won't work without a functioning frame battery as it needs the frame battery BMS to run.

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
Just wondering what was the mileage on the internal battery and storage conditions that it died just in two years. I've got focus 2018, battery still seems to be pretty good.

Asking this partly to understand how to prolong battery life. So far each ride I always use external battery pack first, so that internal is usually half full after the ride. Occasionally I also deplete it fully, so that BMS can rebalance

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
...................Asking this partly to understand how to prolong battery life. So far each ride I always use external battery pack first, so that internal is usually half full after the ride. Occasionally I also deplete it fully, so that BMS can rebalance
Summary developed from posts on here, from memory.
  • Occasionally run the battery right down, then charge fully.
  • Store at 50-80% charge.
  • Don't leave it empty if at all possible.
  • If my battery is low when I get back from a ride, I give it an hour of charge. That normally takes it up to within the 50-80 band.
  • Don't leave it 100% fully charged for any length of time (overnight will be OK, ready for that early start).
  • Let the charger stop charging by itself on a regular basis to allow the BMS to do its thing.
  • Don't charge if the battery is below 0degC. (Check that, it might be a bit higher).
Message to all: Please point out any errors and/or suggest improvements.

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
thanks, Steve. That's actually the exact routine I do as well :) In addition, I also do not store the bike in garage when it is cold -> always bring it indoors... guess batteries do not like being exposed to low temperatures for long time

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
thanks, Steve. That's actually the exact routine I do as well :) In addition, I also do not store the bike in garage when it is cold -> always bring it indoors... guess batteries do not like being exposed to low temperatures for long time
I bought my bike in January and I kept it and the charger in the garage. I had early problems with the charger refusing to charge when it was below 10degC and the battery was in a low state of charge. Cutting a very long story very short, Focus said it was the battery. But 2xLBS, everyone on here and me all said it was the 4.5A charger. Focus gave me a new battery, the LBS gave me a new 4A charger. As far as Focus were concerned the problem had been solved (like they said it would). But everyone else still say it was the 4.5A charger. (If it was the frame battery , why did I have the same problem with the TEC pack?)

Anyway, I now keep the charger in the house, but the bike remains in the garage - where it has never got below 6degC. No further problems

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
Glad to know there are no problems - but I still believe below 10c is not an optimal temperature for battery storage. Not saying it is bad, just maybe not ideal for battery and shortens it's lifespan

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Glad to know there are no problems - but I still believe below 10c is not an optimal temperature for battery storage. Not saying it is bad, just maybe not ideal for battery and shortens it's lifespan
From memory the storage conditions for my Focus battery are from -10degC to +40degC.
But the storage temperature it gets is whatever is the temp inside my garage. In recent years it varies between 6 - 28 degC. I have two up and over aluminium garage doors. They are uninsulated, unlike everything else the garage is built from, so I have bought some insulating sheet to stick on the inside of the doors. It is meant to go on walls behind radiators. It is 3mm thick polystyrene with a shiny aluminised foil on one side. It should reduce heat gain in summer as well as heat loss in winter. Once the condensation stops forming on the doors I'll be stickling that on. Extra thick wallpaper paste should do the trick! The bonus will be that the shiny reflective surface should increase the light levels inside the garage. All I have to do is to shift all the crap that is up against the doors! (Then shift it back again afterwards, it's a hard life being a hoarder!) :giggle:

Ritz

Apr 6, 2021
ACT
My sad story;
I have a 2018 jam2 here in the U.S.. Battery replaced under warranty right at 24 months. With Focus pulling out of the USA, and knowing these battery fail, I started to inquire about getting another internal battery to have on hand to keep peace of mind while I enjoy the bike I love (various upgrades to suspension, brakes and drive train). This would allow me to feel better about keeping it longer if I had access to a backup internal battery. Focus finally responded (numerous emails) with an email to their USA Warranty/Service Dept. asking them to help me. They then responded saying how can we help? Then all communication has stopped, with both sources copied on the follow up emails!!

Went to plan B to see if I could get my first warranty battery that I still have rebuilt. Inquired at Hi-C Battery out of California and got this response:
Unfortunately the Focus Jam2 battery cannot be rebuilt. The electronic BMS inside locks up when you attempt to remove power from it and the battery will no longer work even with new cells installed.

We would be happy to take your broken battery for research purposes if your just going to throw it out.

Very uncertain how or if another internal battery can be secured here in the US. Have the external battery, too, but when my first battery went bad, it shut the bike down so that the still functional external battery becomes useless. Sad...

At this point I guess I just have to ride it till it dies, again, and then spend the high cost to get a new bike. No more internal batteries for me! And, if I stay with the Shimano motors, which I like, the battery will be Shimano, as well. Having Shimano's support for both battery and motor is key for me, now. Feel like I've pissed in the wind buying a Focus. Focus sucks (not their bikes, the company's support).
Can I buy your tek pack ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles