Anyone had problems with the standard headset?

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
H30 Roth an Acros headset. Assume it's the fame across the range. I've airways had issues with it loosening off while riding. At first I thought it d the carbon spacers so changed then for alloy. Then I figured I was maybe the crown race settling after I'd changed the fork. Then maybe it was because of changed the bars/stem whatever. It seems that no matter what I do, the best comes lose mood ride.

A couple of weeks ago I studied everything down and found the lower bearing was a bit ropey so figured maybe that d the problem. Last ride with fresh bearings, it refused to stay tight. I was expeto have to nip it up after a few miles but not every few miles for the whole day!

I've ordered a new headset because the plastic spacer for the upper race didn't look to happy.

I've never had so much trouble with a headset though. It's the standard one just crap?

BengtWeil

Sep 17, 2022
California, USA
Had the same symptoms with my M-Team using the Acros headset bearings. I found that the steerer tube had been cut too short during assembly (manufacturer or dealer?). The upper of the two clamping stem bolts, when tightened correctly, would actually cause the stem to move/slip upward on the steerer tube causing the headset bearing to become loose - seemed like every ride or two I was readjusting the headset. Had to remove/adjust the stem spacers to allow the stem to sit lower and correctly clamp the steerer tube. Yes, this lowered my bars close to 10mm, requiring a taller rise of the bars to get back to the same ergonomics.

Realistically, the Acros bearing was still functioning correctly and didn't lose adjustment after lowering the stem on the steerer tube but I did go ahead and purchase/install a Chris King headset, which works very well.

Evaluate that the stem has enough steerer tube to clamp onto - I believe the steerer tube should sit at 2-4mm below the stem, but double check the proper install height before proceeding.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Yeah, stem is in the right place and the steerer is a decent length.

I've got probably ~5mm from the top of the stem to the top of the steerer. I did wonder whether it could be the standard stem slipping and allowing the tension to back off but I get the same issue even with a new stem. I say new, it came off my hardtail and I had no issues with that.

Thinking about it, unless it's play in the bearing, surely it has to be related to the stem moving on the steerer. That's what's holding the tension and preload on the bearing. I can set the preload fine in the garage, it nips up to the point where there's no play and once the stem is tightened, nothing should move.

It's got to be either the stem moving or the crappy plastic spacer that sits in the inner race of the upper bearing.

The postie just delivered a new Cane Creek Forty headset so I'll throw that on and see how it performs on the next ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles