Anyone considered using this rear shock ?

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
As title , this shock has all the correct dimensions for the carbon jam2 , anyone running it

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have never used that shock so I cannot advise. But if you are just looking for a better shock than you have now, I can recommend the DVO Topaz T3 for £40 more. I have a Jam2 carbon fibre frame size large and has a Shimano e8000 motor and cab be fitted with a TEC pack. I have just fitted the Topaz and I love it! :love:

The shock fits my Focus Jam2 carbon fibre frame, in the upright position, but just fouls the frame above the motor if upside down (but strangely not on the alloy framed bikes). If you use the TEC pack, you will have to move the TEC pack mount to the Sam2 position for the shock to clear the TEC pack.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I have never used that shock so I cannot advise. But if you are just looking for a better shock than you have now, I can recommend the DVO Topaz T3 for £40 more. I have a Jam2 carbon fibre frame size large and has a Shimano e8000 motor and cab be fitted with a TEC pack. I have just fitted the Topaz and I love it! :love:

The shock fits my Focus Jam2 carbon fibre frame, in the upright position, but just fouls the frame above the motor if upside down (but strangely not on the alloy framed bikes). If you use the TEC pack, you will have to move the TEC pack mount to the Sam2 position for the shock to clear the TEC pack.
Glad you finally got yours Steve, I'm still waiting to hear from DVO. I just completed my 180 wH pack made from Testla batteries and hoping it will clear the DVO. The bottle I used really locks well into a std water bottle cage and I might go to that instead of this adjustable one. Does this look like it might clear the DVO?

IMG_6126.JPG

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I've heard those mentioned but only see the two for the cage and the larger two for the battery. My adjustable cage has two alternate mounting holes and I've have moved this cage up an inch with those.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've heard those mentioned but only see the two for the cage and the larger two for the battery. My adjustable cage has two alternate mounting holes and I've have moved this cage up an inch with those.
I used this drawing sent to me by DVO to determine whether the Topaz T3 would foul my TEC pack. I decided it would if the pack was in the standard position, but not of it was in the Sam2 position.
Topaz T3 dims.jpg

The outer face of the piggyback reservoir is (87.75* - 49.5*/2) away from the centreline of the shock, ie 63mm. Cycle your current suspension through it's full travel and see how close it gets to your battery pack. Then measure how far away the front face of your shock is from the centreline and compare with 63mm. If your front face of your shock is 35mm away from the centreline and it comes closer than (63-35) = 28mm to the battery pack, then it will foul. (Example calc only).
Note: dimensions marked * are taken from the drawing above.

But because the shocks are odd shapes, you can't be absolutely certain until you get the shock in place. But the bigger the clearance you estimate, then the more confident you can be. It turns out I was spot on with my estimates.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I used this drawing sent to me by DVO to determine whether the Topaz T3 would foul my TEC pack. I decided it would if the pack was in the standard position, but not of it was in the Sam2 position.
View attachment 61552

The outer face of the piggyback reservoir is (87.75* - 49.5*/2) away from the centreline of the shock, ie 63mm. Cycle your current suspension through it's full travel and see how close it gets to your battery pack. Then measure how far away the front face of your shock is from the centreline and compare with 63mm. If your front face of your shock is 35mm away from the centreline and it comes closer than (63-35) = 28mm to the battery pack, then it will foul. (Example calc only).
Note: dimensions marked * are taken from the drawing above.

But because the shocks are odd shapes, you can't be absolutely certain until you get the shock in place. But the bigger the clearance you estimate, then the more confident you can be. It turns out I was spot on with my estimates.
I will run thru this. I only have 4 holes in my "rail". 2 large one that mount the battery/tec pack and 2 smaller ones for a water bottle cage. I don't think I have the SAM alternate mounts.

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
Since Topaz is very hard to get by, maybe DT Swiss can be a good option as well. I have F535 fork in my jam, so these two would be a set :)

Very interested whether the shock would clear DIY battery

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
As title , this shock has all the correct dimensions for the carbon jam2 , anyone running it

Hi SD,

I fitted that shock to my Jam2 last year and I have to admit it's absolutely sensational.

One thing to note I did buy bushings that were slightly bigger and have them finely milled down, free of charge by a friend...

I am desperately trying to drop on a second hand set of the matching forks..... cheap ha ha.

Last edited:

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
Hi SD,

I fitted that shock to my Jam2 last year and I have to admit it's absolutely sensational.

One thing to note I did buy bushings that were slightly bigger and have them finely milled down, free of charge by a friend...

I am desperately trying to drop on a second hand set of the matching forks..... cheap ha ha.

Which bushings did you buy initially?

Also, which shock do you compare against? Wonder in this will be a noticeable upgrade over rockshox superdeluxe with MegNeg can (increased negative volume chamber, similar to what is used here)

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
Which bushings did you buy initially?

Also, which shock do you compare against? Wonder in this will be a noticeable upgrade over rockshox superdeluxe with MegNeg can (increased negative volume chamber, similar to what is used here)

This should help...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles