Anybody ridden 2017 turbo levo AND 2018 turbo levo

transformer300

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
yorkshire
As per title, just wondered how they compare as I've only ridden the 2017 model but preferred my existing bike (cube stereo hybrid)
However the 2018 is ment to have a better motor? (Love the look of the levo out of all the ebikes ive tried)

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
yes I have, changes are
150mm forks
165mm cranks
1.3 brose motor
780mm wide bars
handlebar mounted mode change switch
2.8 tyres

my opinion the 2018 bike rides a bit better, is smoother but if you leave the motor settings at "factory" it feels a fair bit less powerful, tweaking the settings can bring 95% of that power back but the fact they cut motor current in eco and trail makes it feel less powerful.
they are supposed to be releasing an update to the mission control app that allows the user to set motor current to your desired level in each mode, this should restore the powerful feeling but so far no sign of the update.
However on the good side the motor is totally silent except when pushed really hard but even then its only a whisper.
modifications to heat management in the 1.3 motor means there is no reduction of power under heavy load due to overheating and it should prove a more reliable engine

Danielp

Feb 25, 2018
Melbourne
I agree with everything said above, and was going to add about the carbon frame too!

The stiffness in the frame and the way it rides has increased a lot in the carbon frames, the bike feels more poppy and a lot stiffer when trying to drive it into corners. That was the first thing i noticed when i hit the first trail!!

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
I had the chance to test a 2017 levo comp vs my 2018 comp carbon. It was a much bigger difference than I expected. The motor was very yo yo on the 2017 and seemed to lose steam as the day went on. From reading it sounds like you need to keep high cadence or the '17 motor cuts out is the issue. Pedal strikes were an issue also the fatter 3.0 tires made it feel like a tank and not a normal stumpjumper. My 18 feels like a normal stumpjumper besides the weight. Anyone considering getting a deal on a '17 I would strongly advise to save you pennies for the '18. The '17 seems very half baked compared to the '18.

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
I had the chance to test a 2017 levo comp vs my 2018 comp carbon. It was a much bigger difference than I expected. The motor was very yo yo on the 2017 and seemed to lose steam as the day went on. From reading it sounds like you need to keep high cadence or the '17 motor cuts out is the issue. Pedal strikes were an issue also the fatter 3.0 tires made it feel like a tank and not a normal stumpjumper. My 18 feels like a normal stumpjumper besides the weight. Anyone considering getting a deal on a '17 I would strongly advise to save you pennies for the '18. The '17 seems very half baked compared to the '18.
Out of interest how can pedal strikes be any different? The Purgatory 3.0 tyres I would have thought are taller than the 2.8s.

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
For info I now run 2.8 Maxxis roller tyres and get pedal strikes all the time. Did not like the Purgatory tyres, too much movement on the side walls.

evanscycleschelt

Feb 18, 2018
cheltenham
I own a 2018 comp and have ridden pretty much all the 2017 models. This weekend i have had the pleasure of riding the scott Egenius, Trek Powerfly LT9, Focus Jam2, Cube stereo hybrid 160 and a ridiculous cube fatbike hardtail.

Its funny just how far apart all of these bikes are. I still maintain the motor on the Levo is best on the trails, set trail mode to 65% on the mission control app and you get plenty of power for the trails and hours of fun from the battery without having to switch modes.

However, compared to the others, the levo feels heavy and sluggish on the trails. The powerfly handles like a remedy, very flickable and great fun. the cube is a good budget version (but not as good!). The jam was missing something, not quite sure what. the motor is great, but something about the feel of the bars wasnt quite right.

Everyone loved the Egenius.

The cube fatbike just ate everything in its path, stupid, funny and grin inducing, but i still wouldnt buy one!

I'm going to try some smaller tyres on the levo soon, see if livens up the bike a bit. Its just a little too "stable" with 2.8 butchers.

as for the original question, yes the 2017 and 2018 models are miles apart, save for the later model. Given my purchase choice again, i would probably have saved a little longer and bought the Trek LT9, it feels more like a "proper" mountain bike.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Out of interest how can pedal strikes be any different? The Purgatory 3.0 tyres I would have thought are taller than the 2.8s.
2018 runs 150mm forks, 165mm cranks and from what i have just been reading i think they have fitted a longer rear shock yoke. Anybody know if that is correct?

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
2018 runs 150mm forks, 165mm cranks and from what i have just been reading i think they have fitted a longer rear shock yoke. Anybody know if that is correct?
165mm cranks!!! That is on the list for potential upgrades, did not realise the 2018 bike had gone down that route.

evanscycleschelt

Feb 18, 2018
cheltenham
Dont get me wrong, i love my Levo! its an amazing bike, it takes big hits and can do pretty much anything any other MTB can do, I rode the new Carbon and its light and stiff. great fun to ride for anyone.

This is purely personal opinion, i really enjoyed the trek! That does not mean i have massive fun on the Levo, its a £1000 less than the trek and at this price point, tihs is the bike i chose and would not change it, i love this bike. if i had £5250 to spend i would buy the trek.

jmb22

Feb 15, 2018
southern california
I currently have a Bulls e-stream EVO 45 FS and a 2018 Levo expert carbon the one thing common with the two bikes is the Brose motor which I really like its so quiet and has good power. The Bulls weigh in at 56lbs its a pig and the levo is 48lbs not as light as the Focus Jam2 but is very noticeable compared to the Bulls. I think to each their own what works for me may not for you the main thing is we are out riding and having a good time.

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
I currently have a Bulls e-stream EVO 45 FS and a 2018 Levo expert carbon the one thing common with the two bikes is the Brose motor which I really like its so quiet and has good power. The Bulls weigh in at 56lbs its a pig and the levo is 48lbs not as light as the Focus Jam2 but is very noticeable compared to the Bulls. I think to each their own what works for me may not for you the main thing is we are out riding and having a good time.

For those interested I had the dealer take out the tubes before I picked it up. I weighed them and they came out to 1.6lbs. If you were really a weight freak you could toss the SWAT tool for maybe 4oz. I added carbon bars for vibration otherwise stock. It felt much lighter than a 2017. Could be the 2.8 vs 3" tires making it feel heavy but it probably is a few pounds lighter on the scale.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles