Anybody done a Kindernay on a Trance or Reign?

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Recently, my LBS sold my 2019 Trance e+ for $2500, and I used the proceeds to order a Kindernay for my newer Trance×.

I'm curious if anybody else has performed the conversion to Kindernay?

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
Recently, my LBS sold my 2019 Trance e+ for $2500, and I used the proceeds to order a Kindernay for my newer Trance×.

I'm curious if anybody else has performed the conversion to Kindernay?
No haven’t done one but what is it going to cost? I’m interested.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
No haven’t done one but what is it going to cost? I’m interested.
Honestly, I haven't been given the total cost yet. I gave my Gaint dealers manager- who is also a dear friend- a budget.

The prices are on the website and the kit is about $1200 usd, add shipping, a chain tensioner, a wheel, labor to lace it, taxes, and the bribe I used to get them to handle it all for me, cause I'm lazy... well I can see this adding up quick.

To cover cost, I thinned the herd considerably.

Ridenfool

Oct 18, 2021
Tejas
After losing a tooth on the 22T cassette cog two weeks into a new eMTB I'm considering the Kindernay VII, as opposed to throwing $100+ at new cassettes on a regular basis. (sure wish they sold the individual gears for the cassette)

Please update any details you might have for the total cost of a conversion. Stuff like a final list of all Kindernay parts needed, wheel build spec, and anything else that might paint the overall picture well.

Thanks!

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
After losing a tooth on the 22T cassette cog two weeks into a new eMTB I'm considering the Kindernay VII, as opposed to throwing $100+ at new cassettes on a regular basis. (sure wish they sold the individual gears for the cassette)

Please update any details you might have for the total cost of a conversion. Stuff like a final list of all Kindernay parts needed, wheel build spec, and anything else that might paint the overall picture well.

Thanks!
Will do.

The shop is planning on using the Trance X Kindernay as a promotion/prototype, and I'm a crash test dummy with a wallet- so everything is going according to plan🤪

The K7 shipped ... either 2 weeks ago, or last week🤔 anyway, we have a shipper now, and that's good.

Ridenfool

Oct 18, 2021
Tejas
Another point of interest would be any change in battery range after installing the K7. Maybe you could ride a route you have done a few times on the bike as is and let us know if you notice any significant difference in power usage by comparison.

Looking forward to you getting it all done!

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Last edited:

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
The Kindernay vii arrived in Louisville today. Pictures later.

Because I'm trying to create bomb proof, not fancy, I've decided to have the shop lace it to a Duroc 35, IF available, OR to an OEM spare hoop as second option.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
20220325_124359.jpg

20220325_123913.jpg

20220325_124242.jpg

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I will do my best.

Today's ride drained 60% of the Trance's battery, and I traveled only 5 miles; currently running 10 speed 11-42, w/32CR, Sticky tires. Low pressure, basically a winter setup focused on keeping moving. The first gear to wear out, and start skipping on my cassettes, is usually 1st gear. My opinion of the K7 may not be value added to others, but... I will let you all know, how well it integrates on a Trance X.

I'll also take too many pictures of it... and post them here..

My :unsure: wife's bike... is exactly as mine, but as of yet unridden. It's almost like a spare bike for me without the abuse:rolleyes: Anyway, I think her bike will get the K7. I will have two almost identical bikes to compare against each other, one with the 7 Speed IGH Kindernay, and one with a traditional derailleur 1X of some configuration. I can use the same battery, and I already run the same 5 mile loop day-in and day-out for 5000 miles. My times are consistent LOL and I've a Garmin to log them. If the K7 is a boat anchor, I'll know.

Last edited:

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Well well, this is becoming increasingly captivating…
Similar bikes will generate hugely valuable data
Thanks for doing this! 👍

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
For anybody considering a Kindernay VII on a Trance X e+, some quick notes.

1) If trying to follow the OEM cable routing, the supplied cables will be too short. I have not yet figured out the correct length, or if following the OEM routing will even be possible- the hoses are too large in diameter for the Trance X routing, and a fair amount of Dremel work would be required. I have yet to fully consider the range of options available for hose routing, but It's safe to say that unless your happy to run the hydraulic hoses externally, this is not plug and play.

2) Get it installed and working, before splitting the hoses to run them internally. This way, you will know how a properly evacuated system is supposed to operate. We unfortunately introduced a gob of air in the system while splitting the lines, and this proved confounding to get out (hint: follow the instructions LOL).

Anyway, with the air out of the lines, and importantly the Onesie, the system has an almost digital feel to the shifter with the bike on the stand. See @knut7 's video reviews for a good description of the shifting action when peddling. It shifts pretty much exactly has he says. More later. My back is killing me 🤕

Last edited:

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
For anybody considering a Kindernay VII on a Trance X e+, some quick notes.
Nice. How are the hoses currently run at the main triangle? Getting them in and running them through the battery compartment should be doable on a lot of brands. The hoses could cause some rattle. Exiting the frame seems to be more of a challenge, especially if you want to run them through the chainstay. The hoses are actually routed through the chainstay on the testbike, which I ended up buying. But the rubber O-rings had to go. It will be interesting to see how much damage is done to the hoses rubbing against that metal edge. Seems fine so far though. I would probably run the hoses outside the chainstay and just fit a big chainstay protector if I was doing the conversion on my bike.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Nice. How are the hoses currently run at the main triangle? Getting them in and running them through the battery compartment should be doable on a lot of brands. The hoses could cause some rattle. Exiting the frame seems to be more of a challenge, especially if you want to run them through the chainstay. The hoses are actually routed through the chainstay on the testbike, which I ended up buying. But the rubber O-rings had to go. It will be interesting to see how much damage is done to the hoses rubbing against that metal edge. Seems fine so far though. I would probably run the hoses outside the chainstay and just fit a big chainstay protector if I was doing the conversion on my bike.
Right now, I'm running one hose excatly as the OEM shifter cable. That one is supernice 😊

The second hose is going over the motor, under the frame, and out the back circa 2019, to outside the lower chainstay.

The Trance chainstay grows considerably when the Maestro compresses, so I'm not happy with my routing. The hose gets pulled quite tight at bottom-out, and then festoons- for lack of a better word- down the CS just like my sciatic nerve, when the suspension returns.

I have no doubt this can all be done nicely enough on the Trance X. We have some messages out with Kindernay right now, concerning the possibility of a smaller ID. hose, that may make the OEM route possible for both hoses😎 hope springs eternally.

If needed, I'll pipe out the holes in the CS, and the Maestro link to take the two hoses all the way OEM style.

My biggest trouble right now is motivation and time. I've buldge a disk, and might have to stay off the bike for a month 🤕.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I had to void the Trance's warranty with a Dremel Tool, but managed following the OEM hose route.

There is still some work to be done, but it's beyond trail worthy at this point.

I am not able to ride hard,, but I can manage some simple trials stuff, and in those conditions the K7 maybe quite an advantage. The shifts are digitally speedy, and take place even while back peddling, with one caveat... the shift waits for forward pressure to be released from the crank.

Edit: Ride opinion notes-
The K7 makes a mechanical symphony of sounds,. If super quiet is your thing? Roll on. The claims online are that these get quieter with time, and it seems sensible. The 8 speed chain, Duroc 35 Wheel laced with beefy spokes to the K7 IGH, make for a solid feeling platform. It maybe months before I push it hard on the trail, but kicking around the place enjoying some balance stuff, the K7 is a hoot for joy riding.

20220504_094705.jpg
20220504_101852.jpg

20220504_101926.jpg

Last edited:

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Nice!

Kindernay claim a break-in period of like 500 km. The rough edges of the fresh cogs/gears makes the internals move less smoothly.

On the K7 we tested there were little noise. I've heard other claims about the hub being noisy, but I couldn't relate. On my K7 there is noticeably more noise on the higher gears. There is a difference in lever feel around the 4th gear when something is shifted inside the hub, this is where the noise starts. Not too bad, I'm waiting to see if it will go away after break-in before investigating. Seems there is a difference in noise between the hubs though.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I recorded this with the microphone very close to the hub intentionally, to capture the nuisances of each gears sounds. Riding I can barely hear the thing, especially over the sound of this particularly chatty Yamaha.

This is a brand new unit with under 10 miles I guess. I personally love the sounds it makes, though I thought an air-cooled Ducati with a dry clutch was a good vib.

I'll do a similar recording of the OEM 12 speed next.

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
DrS thanks for doing all this, I appreciate it! Hopefully your healing fast. Cheers 🍻
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm crushed! Both bikes are sitting in the stands, and the trails are totally over grown:mad:

Sciatica is miserable. I thought I was tough, but I've found out otherwise.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm crushed! Both bikes are sitting in the stands, and the trails are totally over grown:mad:

Sciatica is miserable. I thought I was tough, but I've found out otherwise.
Man that’s got nothing to do with being tough, my Homie has the same issue so I can feel your pain 😣Think of all the km’s just waiting to be logged on your mint rides. It’s gonna happen soon. It’s only spring with a ton of great riding ahead. Sometimes life just gets in the way of good intentions. I have had my new ride since February… have a look at my total km’s and I normally average 30-40 kms pretty much every day, seven days a week.
Ride like your hairs on fire when you’re back in the saddle. Be safe, be healed my friend. Cheers 🍻

8AA1C156-A57D-4CF2-8A5D-6A96884FCF3C.png

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I recorded this with the microphone very close to the hub intentionally, to capture the nuisances of each gears sounds. Riding I can barely hear the thing, especially over the sound of this particularly chatty Yamaha.

This is a brand new unit with under 10 miles I guess. I personally love the sounds it makes, though I thought an air-cooled Ducati with a dry clutch was a good vib.

I'll do a similar recording of the OEM 12 speed next.
interesting spoke pattern!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles