Any Regrets (coming from full power EMTB)

TrackRat

May 26, 2020
SchnellerGT981
Seriously contemplating making the switch to a Rise from my carbon Levo which has been built up a bit with Fox 38, Float X2, big Magura MT7s, etc. Love how light the Rise is. Felt like way more than a 10 lb difference when I picked one up at the shop today - just concerned about real world impact on climbing power if I am to continue riding with my buddies that are all riding full fat e-bikes.

Reactions: Dax

PCRover

Jul 18, 2021
NorCal, USA
I am fortunate to have both a Levo and a Rise. Both are great and both are extremely different rides. If you are fit, or your buddies ride in Trail while you are in Turbo you will be able to keep up on the Rise. The Rise is more "fun" to ride but the Levo is better in the chunky stuff.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
I am fortunate to have both a Levo and a Rise. Both are great and both are extremely different rides. If you are fit, or your buddies ride in Trail while you are in Turbo you will be able to keep up on the Rise. The Rise is more "fun" to ride but the Levo is better in the chunky stuff.
You won't last long in Turbo mode the truth is lf your climbing I can't see you keeping up with your mates for long.

TrackRat

May 26, 2020
SchnellerGT981
Thanks - confirmed my suspicions. So smitten with the Rise - likely just trying to convince myself it will work for me but reality is that I should stick with the full-fat bike

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
I ride a full fat levo and demoed a Orbea rise yesterday at gisburn from the otley branch of chevin cycles 👍. The bike was excellent and I kept up with my riding buddy on his full fat giant 95% of the time and everything else I was a few seconds back. Rode mainly in trail with a odd bit of boost on longer climbs. On flats or twisty stuff through the woods I was faster because the bike was more agile. I normally get about 35km range on my levo round dalby we did 25km on the rise and had over 50% battery left which blew me away as I didn’t feel any more tired than normal and it was my first decent ride for a while and the climbs where harder than dalby.the Orbea has jumped to the top of my short list at least until the new levo sl comes out. I think I could easily live with the rise over the levo and the ability to fit a range extender too on the rise is a big plus. For a bit of context I’m 52 nearly 100kg and not fit at all.

78F1F15A-14AA-4A4D-A392-DBB7EF9BDFE7.jpeg

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I ride a full fat levo and demoed a Orbea rise yesterday at gisburn from the otley branch of chevin cycles 👍. The bike was excellent and I kept up with my riding buddy on his full fat giant 95% of the time and everything else I was a few seconds back. Rode mainly in trail with a odd bit of boost on longer climbs. On flats or twisty stuff through the woods I was faster because the bike was more agile. I normally get about 35km range on my levo round dalby we did 25km on the rise and had over 50% battery left which blew me away as I didn’t feel any more tired than normal and it was my first decent ride for a while and the climbs where harder than dalby.the Orbea has jumped to the top of my short list at least until the new levo sl comes out. I think I could easily live with the rise over the levo and the ability to fit a range extender too on the rise is a big plus. For a bit of context I’m 52 nearly 100kg and not fit at all.

View attachment 92579
That's interesting, thanks for the test review, I'm seriously tempted when they hit the shops to buy one and ditch the full fat. One more gate or style I have to lift 25kg of push bike over might be the shove I need.

On another note this bike doesn't even look like an emtb, the amount of people i ride buy on my bike that look straight down at the motor for a second glance ( even non pushbike people) is quiet revealing.

I will be disappointed if a stranger tells me I'm cheating with this bike (y)

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
On a different note, where are all the new manufactures selling there products, there's some stunning bikes at the shows year after year but all I ever see in the uk is limited stock of the same brands.

It would be nice to walk round a bike showroom and see all this stuff from different manufactures in stock or at least showing whats coming .

Big investment but a mega show room would be worth a visit .

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
That's interesting, thanks for the test review, I'm seriously tempted when they hit the shops to buy one and ditch the full fat. One more gate or style I have to lift 25kg of push bike over might be the shove I need.

On another note this bike doesn't even look like an emtb, the amount of people i ride buy on my bike that look straight down at the motor for a second glance ( even non pushbike people) is quiet revealing.

I will be disappointed if a stranger tells me I'm cheating with this bike (y)
The rise was noticeably easier to manoeuvre than my levo. picking up,putting down lifting onto bike rack etc

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
On a different note, my friend has a levo carbon expert 700 battery, and I have a rise h15 540 battery. He weights about 40lbs more than me (I'm 150lbs). We did two rides, a 20 mile, and an 18mile at Llandegla last weekend, he is fitter than me and I kept up and on both days we finished the rides within 2% battery of each other. I didn't feel underpowered and the only time he pulled away was on the very knarly long rocky uphills, and he never got too far ahead. He also tested a Rise and a Levo back to back before buying the Levo as it was more bling. He said the power of the rise was very close in practical terms.

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
I will be disappointed if a stranger tells me I'm cheating with this bike
I get this a bit at our local MTB Park.. my standard response is that I am able to do 6 laps of the downhill track and they will do 2 (unless they shuttle) so who is really cheating? Usually people are staring at it with longing eyes... :)

The few times I have done a group ride with full fat bikes hasnt been a big issue. I'm pretty fit and work a bit harder but its not a show stopper

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Do your mates on full power ebikes ride in turbo all the time, or do they throttle them back? Do you ride up DH trails?

I have just switched from a full fat to a lite (‘18 Kenevo expert to ‘22 KSL). Over the last 4 years mine and mates full fat bikes have spent most of their time in eco or trail, not turbo, only really using turbo for cranking up steep technical climbs or for fire road shuttling when I’m getting a ride in between work calls.

Then some mates bought lightweight ebikes and had no issues keeping up on group rides, so I tested one and fell in love. I assert that most people saying go full fat have never tried riding a lightweight.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles