Another new Five Ten flat shoe launched

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Seems like Addidas are keeping them coming think and fast at the moment, new Freerider Pro Mid VCS. I have seen no press on this shoe, but was on the Adidas website and saw them. Certainly a little different .

Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 17.12.13.png

Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 17.12.20.png

Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 17.12.28.png

Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 17.12.36.png

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Function over form...
The raised insert isnt (totally) new...It might be great, or it might be a PITA, constantly getting crap trapped down yer sock kinda PITA..
Quick release straps might be good....Ankle protection. Are they waterproof ?
Never judge a book by its cover....

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Function over form...
The raised insert isnt (totally) new...It might be great, or it might be a PITA, constantly getting crap trapped down yer sock kinda PITA..
Quick release straps might be good....Ankle protection. Are they waterproof ?
Never judge a book by its cover....

you are correct, never judge. But just buy a book that looks a better read ?

2B917252-D85E-40F7-8EA4-01601B8EAED1.jpeg

Terence

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Ludlow
I didn’t realise how difficult it can be in the bike world to buy functional waterproof shoes? I’m new to EMTB this year trading in my horse to ride two wheels. I bought my first pair of Five Ten Freerider shoes at the beginning of summer and soon bought my first pair of Sealskinz socks the combination worked just great but with winter on the way I thought I should buy some real waterproof boots/shoes. I found these on the Adidas website and thought bingo , perfect..how wrong could I be. With the addition of Gore-Tex you would expect these to work just fine , well they do to a degree the shoe part but under the laces and ankle it’s a textile neoprene material and if you ride through puddles on the trail this is where the water hits thrown up from the front wheel and you will have wet feet. The sales jargon and images on the Adidas website in my view are misleading and I quote, Gore -Tex waterproof , breathable technology keeps your feet dry no matter the conditions ..! Well this is not the case. Adidas have been good, my first pair were exchanged for a larger size, they were then exchanged when that pair let in water and they thought there may have been a quality issue and my my replacement pair were just the same with wet feet after a 22km trail ride. They have agreed to a full refund so my search along with it seems lots of you out there continues to find suitable wet weather foot ware.In the horse riding world we were/are spoilt for choice it’s a shame in the flat peddle MTB world it’s very different.!

image.jpg

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I didn’t realise how difficult it can be in the bike world to buy functional waterproof shoes? I’m new to EMTB this year trading in my horse to ride two wheels. I bought my first pair of Five Ten Freerider shoes at the beginning of summer and soon bought my first pair of Sealskinz socks the combination worked just great but with winter on the way I thought I should buy some real waterproof boots/shoes. I found these on the Adidas website and thought bingo , perfect..how wrong could I be. With the addition of Gore-Tex you would expect these to work just fine , well they do to a degree the shoe part but under the laces and ankle it’s a textile neoprene material and if you ride through puddles on the trail this is where the water hits thrown up from the front wheel and you will have wet feet. The sales jargon and images on the Adidas website in my view are misleading and I quote, Gore -Tex waterproof , breathable technology keeps your feet dry no matter the conditions ..! Well this is not the case. Adidas have been good, my first pair were exchanged for a larger size, they were then exchanged when that pair let in water and they thought there may have been a quality issue and my my replacement pair were just the same with wet feet after a 22km trail ride. They have agreed to a full refund so my search along with it seems lots of you out there continues to find suitable wet weather foot ware.In the horse riding world we were/are spoilt for choice it’s a shame in the flat peddle MTB world it’s very different.!

View attachment 73279
You should post this also in the Review section where there is on going discussion about this shoe. It obviously should have a flap over the laces.

Terence

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Ludlow
You should post this also in the Review section where there is on going discussion about this shoe. It obviously should have a flap over the laces.
I just spotted the review stream not sure how I move my comments across?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I found it to be waterproof, but water can get down the cuff, hence I always wear sealskins or similar in the winter as no shoe is truly waterproof.

If you just copy and paste your review not a new thread I will delete it from here

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
The problem with "waterproof shoes" is that there is ALWAYS a hole at the top:)

Waterproof shoes, seriously is there such a thing? I have a pair of 5.10 Freeriders that absorb water better than a sponge. I also have a pair of Shimano shoes with a cover over the lace area that do quite a good job even though they are not "waterproof". They are easy to wipe clean and paired with waterproof socks work well for splashes.

Al

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
the vaude moab am STX mid are fully waterproof as long as water doesnt come in the hole where your foot goes.

You can stand in a puddle to just below the highest point of the boot and they'll stay dry.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
They remind me of the year I was a skinhead and if you attach a spur to the right boot it reminds me of the year I was a goth , good ole teens 😂

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
the vaude moab am STX mid are fully waterproof as long as water doesnt come in the hole where your foot goes.

You can stand in a puddle to just below the highest point of the boot and they'll stay dry.

Exactly right. They are also very comfortable, and look kind of cool. Bit of a pain to get on and off though!

Terence

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Ludlow
Exactly right. They are also very comfortable, and look kind of cool. Bit of a pain to get on and off though!
Just looking online and found a website selling the Moab mid STX for £114.12 but not sure about size most reviews state to go bigger this particular site is only showing EU sizes what’s your experience on how they size up?

HarryJune

Jun 18, 2021
Berkshire
Just looking online and found a website selling the Moab mid STX for £114.12 but not sure about size most reviews state to go bigger this particular site is only showing EU sizes what’s your experience on how they size up?
Can you ad a link to the site as I’m after a pair in size 10-10.5 . Thanks

Terence

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Ludlow
Can you ad a link to the site as I’m after a pair in size 10-10.5 . Thanks
The supplier was deporvillage ( Spanish company)they are now £116.25 plus delivery so it totalled £128 I did try placing my order this morning but their website wouldn’t accept my password? I noticed then that BIKESTER has them on sale for an extra £10 @ £138.99 delivered so have now placed my order with them.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.

View attachment 73279
Thanks for the review! I ride horses - 5 days a week in all weathers - and MTB in all weathers, but only once week (for decades).
There is no doubt from my experience that the equine world has better foot ware than the MTB world. But the good equine stuff is more expensive, heavier, less flexible, ‘taller’ (or use chaps) and thus offers better opportunities for warmth and waterproofing.
Also, yer feet, ankles and shins get doused throughout a bike ride in poor weather. Even more than riding a horse or handling the animal during ground work.
This is why - IMHO - I nearly always been happy with my equestrian footwear in bad weather and less so with my MTB footwear which is lighter, more flimsy and generally made from synthetic materials.
But not always!
My best poor weather MTB footware remains a 12yr old pair of Shimano SPD (Gortex I think) leather ankle boots. Essentially waterproof even now (I’ve looked after them).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles