Another N Yorks Newbie. Marin E2 or a Reign E+??

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
New to the group, been riding regular MTBs for years but about to make the leap to an EMTB.
In a dilemma between a Marin Alpine E2 or reign E+1, very similar spec and geo bikes.
Riding a stumpy evo at the moment, I like my techy steep off piste stuff as well as the usual peaks and lakes loops.
I'm sure I'd be happy on either but thinking the marin might be a bit better on the tighter stuff with the 20mm shorter chainstays but the reign looks really good too, maybe better on the fast stuff.
Also it comes down to shimano EP8 vs Yamaha??
Spare batteries seem more available for the shimano and the app seems way better.
Anyone been lucky enough to ride both bikes and what do you think??
Cheers
Mark

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I would have said the Reign, but that Marin looks like an absolute nutter bike! I'd look at the angles and lengths I guess and what you want from this type of bike. Also, the suspension- as maybe the Marin is not fully active under braking? I used to have a Wolfridge back in the day and that suspension design- while UGLY AF- it was so good it felt like my skill level was massive on it! I see they have stopped using that design now though. The reigns suspension gets amazing reviews and is full active under braking. Personally that is a must have feature for me.

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
I would have said the Reign, but that Marin looks like an absolute nutter bike! I'd look at the angles and lengths I guess and what you want from this type of bike. Also, the suspension- as maybe the Marin is not fully active under braking? I used to have a Wolfridge back in the day and that suspension design- while UGLY AF- it was so good it felt like my skill level was massive on it! I see they have stopped using that design now though. The reigns suspension gets amazing reviews and is full active under braking. Personally that is a must have feature for me.
Thanks for the info
The angles and lengths are pretty much the same on both bikes, marin 5mm longer reach, reign 20mm longer chain stays, both about 63 degree with steep seat angle. Good point about the rear suspension though, I've never ridden a giant so not experienced it, but like you say most bikes I've had have poor performance when braking.
Would've liked a full size water bottle option, the reign looks like it's a 550ml by what I've seen, not sure on the marin, possibly full size might fit.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Thanks for the info
The angles and lengths are pretty much the same on both bikes, marin 5mm longer reach, reign 20mm longer chain stays, both about 63 degree with steep seat angle. Good point about the rear suspension though, I've never ridden a giant so not experienced it, but like you say most bikes I've had have poor performance when braking.
Would've liked a full size water bottle option, the reign looks like it's a 550ml by what I've seen, not sure on the marin, possibly full size might fit.
All good. From experience the bike being fully active makes for such a fun ride! I had a google and found this article

The Marin looks like it has a pretty good suspension setup.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Think about availability an back up in this country you know giant are a big presence in the uk marin not so much ive got a 2022 reign the bike rides really good just taking time to get used to the pwx 3 motor coming off a previous shimano bike

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
Think about availability an back up in this country you know giant are a big presence in the uk marin not so much ive got a 2022 reign the bike rides really good just taking time to get used to the pwx 3 motor coming off a previous shimano bike
How do you find the pwx compared to shimano?

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
I had an e8000 on my last bike and loved it the motor was 100 percent reliable over 2500 miles but the battery was starting to die so i ordered a cube 160sl 750 last september with a bosch which wont now arrive to jun at the earliest so cancelled that and found the e+2 in stock last month so bought that the motor you can tell has more torque but it rides similiar to the shimano very natural feeling. The bosch definitely feels like it has more grunt even with the same reported output.
My issue at the moment is the auto mode it feels very hit and miss its either on and working well or feels like its completely off and makes the bike really difficult to pedal for a few strokes b4 kicking back in. Not done many mlles yet it seems like it does it when you stop pedalling downhill then need to pedal again its as though its making its mind up b4 coming back on. Compared to the bosch thats instantly there and feels a better auto mode. Only done 150 miles so hoping it gets better or it will be back in the shop for investigation. Level 3 and 4 are a nicer feel than auto at the moment but you then suffer with less range which again i hope will improve. The 625 battery im hoping for better range over the previous 500w i had but thinking of getting a range extender in case. The bike itself rides so well the suspension is so plush i cant believe the difference in better components.

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
I had an e8000 on my last bike and loved it the motor was 100 percent reliable over 2500 miles but the battery was starting to die so i ordered a cube 160sl 750 last september with a bosch which wont now arrive to jun at the earliest so cancelled that and found the e+2 in stock last month so bought that the motor you can tell has more torque but it rides similiar to the shimano very natural feeling. The bosch definitely feels like it has more grunt even with the same reported output.
My issue at the moment is the auto mode it feels very hit and miss its either on and working well or feels like its completely off and makes the bike really difficult to pedal for a few strokes b4 kicking back in. Not done many mlles yet it seems like it does it when you stop pedalling downhill then need to pedal again its as though its making its mind up b4 coming back on. Compared to the bosch thats instantly there and feels a better auto mode. Only done 150 miles so hoping it gets better or it will be back in the shop for investigation. Level 3 and 4 are a nicer feel than auto at the moment but you then suffer with less range which again i hope will improve. The 625 battery im hoping for better range over the previous 500w i had but thinking of getting a range extender in case. The bike itself rides so well the suspension is so plush i cant believe the difference in better components.
Yeah I've read the auto mode is pants, I guess the bosch version of that is the emtb mode, it seems strange that Giant are so poor with the software side of things, hopefully they'll get their act together and sort all these issues and provide a decent app.
Certainly sound like the bike is good though 👍
It's a shame they don't do the e+1 with a 750wh like they do in parts of europe, I've tried getting one, found them in stock but no dealer is interested in shipping one to the UK.........thats brexit for you 🙄

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Good point. Giant has a good presence here in New Zealand too.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
I wouldnt say auto was crap it works fine 75% of the time its just the transition time it takes before on and off my wife has a trek with a bosch ive ridden many times and there software is much better especially tour + which works well with less battery usage the range extender for me is a better option now so normal rides i will use 625 and then when i want to do something longer there is 875 available. The bigger batteries weigh a fait bit more than my old 500 battery. You will not be disappointed with the reign ive had no problems on the app either

20220313_113622.jpg

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
I wouldnt say auto was crap it works fine 75% of the time its just the transition time it takes before on and off my wife has a trek with a bosch ive ridden many times and there software is much better especially tour + which works well with less battery usage the range extender for me is a better option now so normal rides i will use 625 and then when i want to do something longer there is 875 available. The bigger batteries weigh a fait bit more than my old 500 battery. You will not be disappointed with the reign ive had no problems on the app either

View attachment 85999
That's a fair point with the range extender. You lose the water bottle but if your doing a ride that big you'd prob take camelbak anyway.
I did look to see what the weight difference was between 625 and 750, 750 quoted at 4.2kg on giant website, the weight of the 625 was harder to find but I saw 4.1kg mentioned somewhere, doesn't quite seem right but who knows.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles