Levo Gen 2 Another levo stolen.. mine

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Fucking scumbags!!! That's what insurance I've got. Definitely worth paying a bit extra on top of your contents insurance. Handy for when you go on bike trips to morzine etc. Knowing that my bikes are fully covered in back of van.
@apac sorry to hear about this and not good that you were probably targeted.

I thought my garage security was good but will have to rethink. I use a Kryptonite chain with an Abus WA50 wall mount loop which is secured into the brickwork by long frame screws. What type of wall mount did you have? I could see that with enough force a long breaker bar would go between the chain and the loop and possibly force the mount out of the brickwork.
1602442623039.png

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
The wall mount that was bolted through the brick work is still intact with no marks or signs of tampering. The thieves took all the chain, d-lock and padlock with them as not to leave evidence of their actions. I think they must have bolt cutted the padlock. Unfortunately the Padlock was only 10mm thick and must have been easy to cut through.
it has been an expensive lesson that has left me in debt.

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
@apac: sorry for your loss.

Wall mounts (Abus WBA etc) is the way to go for home storage.

As for the actual locks, anybody looking for locks, do always check ART Foundation (hit english flag top right)-- we Dutch folks know how to protect our bikes (read: make it more difficult of a target than the next bike). Funnily enough under ART rating, most locks just are insufficient for Amsterdam... I guess indeed that apac's bike was targeted, very little helps against that, as they could just rubber hose crypto (or XKCD #538 or Schlock's comic for the evening read) the problem and "politely" ask for it, be happy that did not happen; getting stolen from home, ouch, very very bad situation.

I am extremely happy to live in an area where you commonly see good bikes without locks, even at places like public pools etc; being originally Dutch I still find that madness and tend to check up on my girl often enough when I park her in 'the wild', and of course with Dutch-style-overkill locking... though that tends to keep me afraid that they will just break things ;( -- fortunately as noted, the actual chance of that here is relatively low...

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
For all I know they could have had a cordless angle grinder. Getting through a 10mm shackle would take a few seconds. Cordless hydraulic bolt cutters are also now available.... Silent and quick... and cheap!

Last edited:

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
As well as locks, look at alarms and cameras. Sounds paranoid, but its the only way to interrupt a thief. With time, they'll get through anything. You need an alarm to catch them at it before they've cut through your security in 2 minutes.

Ring is pretty good as a whole-house system which you can add motion sensors, cameras or door/window-open sensors to. Easy to install, not too expensive (usually has a sale at some point in the year, check during Prime Day or black friday).

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
Ring is pretty good as a whole-house system which you can add motion sensors, cameras or door/window-open sensors to. Easy to install, not too expensive (usually has a sale at some point in the year, check during Prime Day or black friday).

If you want all of Amazon to look along in your place as you do not care about your privacy, yes, do buy their stuff.

If you actually care about your privacy: security systems (alarms, sensors, cameras, etc) need to be off-internet.

That you have a monitoring system that can be reached over a VPN (self-hosted, of course, otherwise the VPN provider can get in your network) and/or that can send you a sms/email is one thing, sending a live stream to a company where it has been documented people just look at random streams for fun is just a really really bad idea. (There are enough articles to be found with horror stories and lawsuits about this).

Of course, it all depends on time, money and expertise.... YMMV...

All locks are merely deterrence: make it more difficult than stealing from the next person...

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
If you want all of Amazon to look along in your place as you do not care about your privacy, yes, do buy their stuff.

If you actually care about your privacy: security systems (alarms, sensors, cameras, etc) need to be off-internet.

That you have a monitoring system that can be reached over a VPN (self-hosted, of course, otherwise the VPN provider can get in your network) and/or that can send you a sms/email is one thing, sending a live stream to a company where it has been documented people just look at random streams for fun is just a really really bad idea. (There are enough articles to be found with horror stories and lawsuits about this).

Of course, it all depends on time, money and expertise.... YMMV...

All locks are merely deterrence: make it more difficult than stealing from the next person...

I balance those risks against my use case and the benefits (helping keep my bikes safe).

I don't care if someone uses my security cam to look at my shed, even if they touch themselves while doing so.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I balance those risks against my use case and the benefits (helping keep my bikes safe).

I don't care if someone uses my security cam to look at my shed, even if they touch themselves while doing so.
Totally agree. I have a £35 Ring camera in addition to my physical security, dog and insurance and I'm happy to exchange the peace of mind it gives me for the data Amazon gets from me using their service.

The thing about all this physical security is all bets are off with battery-powered tools such as cutters and SDS chisels. I've recently removed a concreted-in ground anchor from an old workshop, took about 5 mins. All it can do is delay or put off an opportunistic thief.

Last edited:

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Totally agree. I have a £35 Ring camera in addition to my physical security, dog and insurance and I'm happy to exchange the peace of mind it gives me for the data Amazon gets from me using their service.

The thing about all this physical security is all bets are off with battery-powered tools such as cutters and SDS chisels. I've recently removed a concreted-in ground anchor from an old workshop, took about 5 mins. All it can do is delay or put off an opportunistic thief.
@Jamze how does a Ring camera work with Amazon - sounds good. Any chance of any links?

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I have this indoor one in my workshop pointed at the bikes, although I got it on Prime Day when it was £35. Amazon always drop prices if you wait for the next sale. Black Friday must be soon.

Ring is owned by Amazon, hence the discussion about 'big brother' Amazon getting your data. I've had Ring since the very first doorbell and had a generally good experience with them. The outdoor cams don't like being exposed to too much bad weather. They're not 100% waterproof. You need reliable Broadband where you put them, as the cameras are uploading HD video over it.

And there is a subscription to pay if you want the video recordings saved (which you do I guess).

Blink is another Amazon-owned security camera. Never tried one of those.

Last edited:

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I have this indoor one in my workshop pointed at the bikes, although I got it on Prime Day when it was £35. Amazon always drop prices if you wait for the next sale. Black Friday must be soon.

Ring is owned by Amazon, hence the discussion about 'big brother' Amazon getting your data. I've had Ring since the very first doorbell and had a generally good experience with them. The outdoor cams don't like being exposed to too much bad weather. They're not 100% waterproof. You need reliable Broadband where you put them, as the cameras are uploading HD video over it.

And there is a subscription to pay if you want the video recordings saved (which you do I guess).

Blink is another Amazon-owned security camera. Never tried one of those.

No subscription fee with eufy

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Unfortunately cameras aren't much of a deterrent. Unless the crim is already known to the police & they can see their faces clearly or distinctive marks such as tattoos etc, all you can do is watch them remove your goods.
If I was to steal your bike, I wouldn't even have to cover my face. I'm not known to the police so I look like any other Joe.
Besides, the police aren't even interested. You're just another statistic.
A good alarm & the best chain & lock you can afford are a must, but most all don't advertise what you have. When you wash your bike, do it at the back of your house & not on the front drive.
Make your garage/shed as secure as possible, bars on windows. If you can't make some, ask your local garage as they'll have a welder.
Fit inch square weld mesh if bars are a problem, it takes ages to cut through quietly. Put frosted glass in windows or buy some frosted film.
My garage is actually more secure than my home. If they wanna try, they have me & a Rottweiler to contend with.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Unfortunately cameras aren't much of a deterrent. Unless the crim is already known to the police & they can see their faces clearly or distinctive marks such as tattoos etc, all you can do is watch them remove your goods.
If I was to steal your bike, I wouldn't even have to cover my face. I'm not known to the police so I look like any other Joe.
Besides, the police aren't even interested. You're just another statistic.
A good alarm & the best chain & lock you can afford are a must, but most all don't advertise what you have. When you wash your bike, do it at the back of your house & not on the front drive.
Make your garage/shed as secure as possible, bars on windows. If you can't make some, ask your local garage as they'll have a welder.
Fit inch square weld mesh if bars are a problem, it takes ages to cut through quietly. Put frosted glass in windows or buy some frosted film.
My garage is actually more secure than my home. If they wanna try, they have me & a Rottweiler to contend with.
Agreed. The point of the cam is not a deterrent, but to spot the crims sooner, even sooner than tripping the alarm.

The cam detects motion and sends an alert to my phone. So anyone sneaking around my garden will be spotted well before they get the angle grinder out.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Agreed. The point of the cam is not a deterrent, but to spot the crims sooner, even sooner than tripping the alarm.

The cam detects motion and sends an alert to my phone. So anyone sneaking around my garden will be spotted well before they get the angle grinder out.
A good idea. Is it affected by cats or foxes?

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
quite a bit off-topic, but I tested many of these cams. One of the better options, IMHO, is the Imou (dahua) Looc and New Bullett:
- PIR-sensor (rather than motion - no alarms with flies, spiders, rain,...)
- no subscription required
- perfect image quality, good night vision
- can also emit an alarm on motion detect (not the 110DB the marketing says though.. more like 90 or so)
- built-in light
- instant phone notification
- 2-way audio (possible to talk to intruder), should be a fair detterent
- cheap (around 50 GBP)
I'm in now ay affiliated with them, just sharing my experience.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
quite a bit off-topic, but I tested many of these cams. One of the better options, IMHO, is the Imou (dahua) Looc and New Bullett:
- PIR-sensor (rather than motion - no alarms with flies, spiders, rain,...)
- no subscription required
- perfect image quality, good night vision
- can also emit an alarm on motion detect (not the 110DB the marketing says though.. more like 90 or so)
- built-in light
- instant phone notification
- 2-way audio (possible to talk to intruder), should be a fair detterent
- cheap (around 50 GBP)
I'm in now ay affiliated with them, just sharing my experience.
Looks good. Just checked their website, is the doorbell really that size?? ?

Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 12.18.14.png

AlwynM

Jun 5, 2020
Liverpool, UK
I couldn't even begin to imagine how gutted I'd feel if my Levo was stolen and i didn't have insurance. For me it's a no-brainer because I don't think any lock is unbreakable.

Can anyone recommend a motion sensor that can be fitted to the bike so you are alerted if the anyone attempts to move or tamper with the bike? I already have Tail-it Bike fitted but was surprised that this feature wasn't included.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
I couldn't even begin to imagine how gutted I'd feel if my Levo was stolen and i didn't have insurance. For me it's a no-brainer because I don't think any lock is unbreakable.

Can anyone recommend a motion sensor that can be fitted to the bike so you are alerted if the anyone attempts to move or tamper with the bike? I already have Tail-it Bike fitted but was surprised that this feature wasn't included.
I use this. Ive attached a magnet to the back and stick it to my brake disc
along with locks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles