And that was that...

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
It has been an amazing summer, I've never seen so much dust in the Tweed Valley. I am now desperately trying to adjust to the conditions, but having fun in the process. I actually love night rides, so looking forward to that too. It seems like a distant memory, but it was only a few months ago I was having to wash the bike after every ride. I'm sure we'll all settle in soon enough!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
looks out of window, sees horizontal rain.

checks temperature - sees 16deg C

checks map - realisesI'm in Manchester , not the surrey alps.

Never mind , off to molini in a few weeks time - wooo
😆😆

actually downgraded to 24 today. But knowing recent weather will likely piss it down and thunder all afternoon!

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
What, summer riding is just getting you through the entre course of EMtbing, getting you ready for the main course. Winter riding is where the old hands excel and the young bucks get back on their game machines because they are crap at anything other than going fast on perfect trails. ;)

Got to admit this summer has probably been some of the best riding I've done over a full summer period of time, perfect trails, dry, great temps and not so many walkers on them, they all went off on summer hols abroad.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
Winter in the UK means less people on the trails, get togged up get out and take some lights for those early morning and evening rides.
There is always mud where I live (and cow/sheep sh*t), just more mud in the winter. My bike gets washed/rinsed down every ride.
Waterproof socks a must, I use sealskinz and also invested in some waterproof pants Fox Ranger which are excellent.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
It has been an amazing summer, I've never seen so much dust in the Tweed Valley. I am now desperately trying to adjust to the conditions, but having fun in the process. I actually love night rides, so looking forward to that too. It seems like a distant memory, but it was only a few months ago I was having to wash the bike after every ride. I'm sure we'll all settle in soon enough!
It's funny, I live in Argyll and we've only had sporadic dry spells. We came down to ride the Golfie a couple of weeks ago and as you say it was really dry and dusty, rode it again last week and it was way more challenging as all the rain had washed the loose stuff down the steep sections to lie in the corners in big piles (not to mention the roots being slippery meaning you can't just ignore them anymore). I managed to bin it in the last steep chute on Flat White, so much for it being one of the easier trails)! Had to thoroughly wash the bike afterwards as well. Welcome back normal Scottish conditions. 😝

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
It's not just "eco loons" proclaiming it's a climate emergency, it's very sober and competent scientists. I can't help it if you narrowly define "emergency" to something that can't extend beyond 5 minutes. The fact that it threatens the very existence of major cities within our children's lifetime and is very difficult to undo, is enough to classify it as an emergency in my book.
Ive got nothing against the USA as a country but dont start battles on here when your the second biggest nation for carbon pollution in the World Please,
Especially when as a nation you still laugh at our small engined cars here in the UK and look at that were not even in the top 10 .

1. China, with more than 10,065 million tons of CO2 released.
  2. United States, with 5,416 million tons of CO2
  3. India, with 2,654 million tons of CO2
  4. Russia, with 1,711 million tons of CO2
  5. Japan, 1,162 million tons of CO2
  6. Germany, 759 million tons of CO2
  7. Iran, 720 million tons of CO2
  8. South Korea, 659 million tons of CO2
  9. Saudi Arabia, 621 million tons of CO2
  10. Indonesia, 615 million tons of CO2

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
I prefer winter riding to summer once you have the right gear it's not an issue, although I have not replaced my Specialized Defroster winter boots as now riding flat pedals and the choice is limited for flats. Winter Gear - MT500 Jacket, MT500 Spray Trousers, Mavic Waterproof Shorts, Endura Deluge Gloves. I can honestly say the kit was the best investment made they last for years the gloves are 4 years old.

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
Ive got nothing against the USA as a country but dont start battles on here when your the second biggest nation for carbon pollution in the World Please,
Especially when as a nation you still laugh at our small engined cars here in the UK and look at that were not even in the top 10 .

1. China, with more than 10,065 million tons of CO2 released.
  2. United States, with 5,416 million tons of CO2
  3. India, with 2,654 million tons of CO2
  4. Russia, with 1,711 million tons of CO2
  5. Japan, 1,162 million tons of CO2
  6. Germany, 759 million tons of CO2
  7. Iran, 720 million tons of CO2
  8. South Korea, 659 million tons of CO2
  9. Saudi Arabia, 621 million tons of CO2
  10. Indonesia, 615 million tons of CO2

I didn't defend my country or it's greenhouse emissions, I simply stated a scientific consensus, that man-caused global warming is happening and it's a huge threat to humanity. Oddly enough, oil companies have been successful at convincing the dimmest 30% of humanity that it's all a hoax and is not really happening. You can't fix stupid.

Meanwhile the forest fires continue burning millions of acres and the air is so smokey I can't go on a ride without it being worse for my health than if I simply stay home and keep the windows closed and air filters on. The PNW is experiencing massive drought conditions with no significant rain in sight so it kind of chaps me when people say it's a big hoax.

What this isn't is a blame game between citizens of various countries, because there is plenty of blame to go around and none of us get to make all the decisions. Just as the problem has wide roots, the solution will need everyone to work together. Hopefully, it's not too late for our children and grandchildren to enjoy this amazing home we call earth.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I didn't defend my country or it's greenhouse emissions, I simply stated a scientific consensus, that man-caused global warming is happening and it's a huge threat to humanity. Oddly enough, oil companies have been successful at convincing the dimmest 30% of humanity that it's all a hoax and is not really happening. You can't fix stupid.

Meanwhile the forest fires continue burning millions of acres and the air is so smokey I can't go on a ride without it being worse for my health than if I simply stay home and keep the windows closed and air filters on. The PNW is experiencing massive drought conditions with no significant rain in sight so it kind of chaps me when people say it's a big hoax.

What this isn't is a blame game between citizens of various countries, because there is plenty of blame to go around and none of us get to make all the decisions. Just as the problem has wide roots, the solution will need everyone to work together. Hopefully, it's not too late for our children and grandchildren to enjoy this amazing home we call earth.

Yes but to be fair you did mention cities and you were playing the bigger is better card in your previous posts,
Surely cities alone are a massive cause of CO and the US does have a lot of them :)
Do they really need all the signage 24-7 ? Not that it is your fault for not turning off the lights .
The electricity being burned from that alone is massive
And Without turning this into a thread about Global warming which isnt a hoax i do agree , the biggest problem is we may have speeded this up slightly, but cause it we did not it was going to happen anyway.
The earth has been through this cycle before and it will again,
If man kind can survive it is another topic but as a whole us mortals will not stop it no matter what we do and thats the cold hard truth im afraid .

Last edited:

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
Yes but to be fair you did mention cities and you were playing the bigger is better card in your previous posts,
Surely cities alone are a massive cause of CO and the US does have a lot of them :)
Do they really need all the signage 24-7 ? Not that it is your fault for not turning off the lights .
The electricity being burned from that alone is massive
And Without turning this into a thread about Global warming which isnt a hoax i do agree , the biggest problem is we may have speeded this up slightly, but cause it we did not it was going to happen anyway.
The earth has been through this cycle before and it will again,
If man kind can survive it is another topic but as a whole us mortals will not stop it no matter what we do and thats the cold hard truth im afraid .

Not only did we speed it up global warming by a few thousand years, it's looking like we increased the amplitude of the warming by a few hundred percent. No biggie, right?

In fact, the man-made warming makes any natural cycle look insignificant in comparison. But oil apologists will still pretend like it's no big deal because the natural climate has some variation anyway.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Not only did we speed it up global warming by a few thousand years, it's looking like we increased the amplitude of the warming by a few hundred percent. No biggie, right?

In fact, the man-made warming makes any natural cycle look insignificant in comparison. But oil apologists will still pretend like it's no big deal because the natural climate has some variation anyway.
If this is all the case then best thing we can all do for the planet is become extinct which might happen anyway
As were the root cause there is no other option
Because people in general want everything they can have and not do without as they say its Human nature .
Progress and the human race are all to blame .

On this note this thread needs to get back on track so im out
I might even switch my computer off and save the planet a bit :)

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
If this is all the case then best thing we can all do for the planet is become extinct which might happen anyway
As were the root cause there is no other option
Because people in general want everything they can have and not do without as they say its Human nature .
Progress and the human race are all to blame .

Oh, yes. The old, "It's hopeless, so we might as well do nothing" excuse. :rolleyes:

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
My goretex 510s arrived today and yeah I sized up a half size from my current pair and they do feel better for sure. Between those and my dirtlej core suit, I’ll be well kitted for the wet weather we have coming on.

We also just had 200mm of rain in 36 hours. Which is unheard of around here. We’re all going to pay for such a nice dry summer.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles