Alternatives for replacing a OEM fork & offset question

Ovidiu

Aug 8, 2021
România
Hello eBike enthusiasts

Recently I've purchased a Reaction Hybrid Pro 2020 which comes by default with a SR Suntour XCM 34 coil (100mm). I don't know the offset, but I guess it's 51 mm (judging by their web page).

My mechanic said I should change it with one using Air technology (preferably Fox or RockShox).
I understand that I should not go higher than 120mm travel (it can affect geometry and handling). And it should have a tapered neck. OK, I got that.

BUT should I stick with 51mm offset? Or I can choose a fork with a different one ? (ie 42, 44 or 46 mm)

My RockShox options (with 51 mm offset) are:
- Yari,
- Revelation
- 35 Gold RL
- Recon Gold
- Judy Gold (at least)
......and SID (but it got 44 offset only)
All are eMTB approved, according to proucer's website.

Of course I'm open to Fox, as well. But here those are quite rare in a market dominated by RockShox.

So, what do you recommend?
The bike got 24 kg now (including battery) and I'm 106 Kg.

Thank you very much for taking time to read this and for your future helpful inputs.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Simple answer is get a Yari in the same offset if possible.

The Yari is the same chassis as a Lyric (Theo top end trail fork) and as suchcan have the internals upgraded in the future if you want.

it is also strong enough for you and the bike.

I would say thatchanges in offset are not massively noticeable to the average rider, but in your posit I would go for as similar am offset as possible.

Other factors to consider are:

Wheel size being correct
Type of axle - is your current fork a thru axle or QR - if QR then you will need to change the wheel and the fork.
Axle spacing ( boost or noon boost).

Ovidiu

Aug 8, 2021
România
Other factors to consider are:

Wheel size being correct
Type of axle - is your current fork a thru axle or QR - if QR then you will need to change the wheel and the fork.
Axle spacing ( boost or noon boost).

Wheel is 29" with SmartSam 2.60
Axle is ø15-110 and as far as I know is a thru-axle, without Quick Release lever system (an allen wrench is used for taking apart).
Front Hub is Shimano HB-MT400B 15mm and rotor 180mm

Ovidiu

Aug 8, 2021
România
Yari is regarded as entry-level enduro and
Revelation is rated as entry level trail, .
At least this blog article labels them

Though they share the 35mm aluminium stancions, DebonAir spring and MotionControl damper, Yari could get thicker stancion walls.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes the revelation is a lower spec Pike, and the Yari a lower spec Lyric basically.

either would suffice

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Yes the revelation is a lower spec Pike, and the Yari a lower spec Lyric basically.

either would suffice
Fantastic advice. Correct, simple and doesn’t fuel those feelings some have (me!) of needing to buy disproportionately expensive stuff ??????

Ovidiu

Aug 8, 2021
România
Since my technical knowledges are limited regarding on how I should "feel“ the fork, I based my quest on my mechanic's advice. I'm shure he knows more about handling / maneuverability since he's an old MTB rider himself. And if he said the current suntour is rubbish and I should clearly change it, well.. I tend to believe him. He also didn't had any sales attempts on me, since he own a small shop with entry level up to medium components. So I guess he have a honest heartfelt piece of advice.

On the other hand, I wish I could shave some extra weight off this bike. Curent fork weight 3420g, (according to official specs). So, it seems a lot. The ones I'm after weight below 1800g. Therefore I'm seeing this upgrade as a double benefit: smoother ride and lighter bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles