Alternative headset for YT Decoy?

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
Has anyone managed to find a suitable headset for their Decoy?

Having difficulty sourcing one of the block lock ones that came as stock.

Cheers!

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Not a headset, but I was able to get a flat headset cover to replace the tall “volcano” one that came stock.
EC6D899F-3418-4E0B-9A0C-D257AF34E3A0.jpeg

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Mine came with the flat one as well. They already have a shorter headtube than most bikes. Too low for me.
I have a non knock block -1 degree works components headset waiting to go in as soon as i find out whats wrong with the motor. Hopefully just a speed sensor/fingers crossed. Doing a diagnostic 2morra

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Where did you find that. I looked on there website with no luck. Would be nice to have so I can use some spacers to adjust height.
Cheers
Youre in BC. No promises but if i get my bike sorted and get the works headset in ill send you that flat cap if you want it

DB88MOTO

Apr 25, 2020
BC Canada
Youre in BC. No promises but if i get my bike sorted and get the works headset in ill send you that flat cap if you want it
That would be awesome. I would gladly pay for shipping and what the cost of it was. that's if you get your sorted. Yes I'm over on the island in Victoria. thanks for replying bud. Cheers

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
That would be awesome. I would gladly pay for shipping and what the cost of it was. that's if you get your sorted. Yes I'm over on the island in Victoria. thanks for replying bud. Cheers
No problem. I ordered a speed sensor from the states before even doing my diagnostic just to speed things up(none in canada) but it still might take a while before i get it and get fhe bike sorted and decide if the works headset goes in

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
Has anyone managed to find a suitable headset for their Decoy?

Having difficulty sourcing one of the block lock ones that came as stock.

Cheers!

Do you need the lockout one? I hate having mine (I plan to replace mine soon)? Any headset should work as long as you get the right size and I believe they are zero stacks.

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
This is actually for a mate who has a Decoy, I don't have one. Would the fork crown still contact the down tube if you used a stem with a short stack height and raised it up with spacers underneath? Something like the DMR one? I know someone who is fairly adept at using a 3D printer and has some hardware to make items using a shock absorbing plastic (behaves like rubber on impact), can someone post up a picture of where the fork hits the frame and some dimensions for across the underside of the down tube at that area and I can get him to make a sort of bumper that wraps around that area?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
This is actually for a mate who has a Decoy, I don't have one. Would the fork crown still contact the down tube if you used a stem with a short stack height and raised it up with spacers underneath? Something like the DMR one? I know someone who is fairly adept at using a 3D printer and has some hardware to make items using a shock absorbing plastic (behaves like rubber on impact), can someone post up a picture of where the fork hits the frame and some dimensions for across the underside of the down tube at that area and I can get him to make a sort of bumper that wraps around that area?
That has no effect on the fork crown. The only way to give more seperation of the fork crown and downtube would be an external bottom cup headset. Slacker angle would help a tiny bit too. Not sure both of those together would do it though. It'd be close. Mine has a yari and that'd be close. Maybe another fork has a lower crown. Olins jacks the front end so im guessing the crown extends lower. Mega bucks for that mod

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
That has no effect on the fork crown. The only way to give more seperation of the fork crown and downtube would be an external bottom cup headset. Slacker angle would help a tiny bit too. Not sure both of those together would do it though. It'd be close. Mine has a yari and that'd be close. Maybe another fork has a lower crown. Olins jacks the front end so im guessing the crown extends lower. Mega bucks for that mod
Of course, had a brain fart there thinking moving up the steerer would help, how close is the contact, I assume it would definitely connect with the frame at some point?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Of course, had a brain fart there thinking moving up the steerer would help, how close is the contact, I assume it would definitely connect with the frame at some point?
Its hard to check with the lock block in there but it looks close. Probably wont clear as is but close. The best way to check would be to just raise the stem about the same as a lower external cup height would be(probably 7 or 8mm and dont put a headset spacer under the stem to compensate. That way the fork crown will drop down the same height as the external cup. Lift the top lock block cap and then rotate the fork to see if that will give you clearance

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles