Decoy Headset

Liftman

Oct 13, 2019
scotland
Has anyone managed to change the bearings in the Acros headset ?
Apart from acros and richey does anyone else make a blocklock headset or has anybody replaced with a normal headset.

HOMIE5000

Feb 23, 2020
Australia
Yes the stock acros headset bearings can be repacked. Mine started creaking pretty badly so I re-packed and all was good. You need to carefully pick off the plastic retainer to get to the bearings.
Thats the rout Id go too ,, hit them with degreaser, petrol , chain lube etc then repack .

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I have a works components headset waiting to go in. I think i can get away without a blocklock. Waiting til my enduro bike arrives to book the install

alleny

Aug 11, 2020
CA
I have a works components headset waiting to go in. I think i can get away without a blocklock. Waiting til my enduro bike arrives to book the install
I'm not a fan of the blocklock either but your downtube will get knackered in a crash from the upper crown smashing into it. Not worth the risk IMO.

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
It sounds crazy to me but the bearings are not meant to be replaceable... Acros says that you need to change the whole headset when the bearings are dead because they are pushed in force in the cups.
So have chosen to install a new headset from another brand with replaceable bearings and will stay away from Acros headsets as much as possible.

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
I don't think it is an official Acros bearing kit but more something compatible. It might definitely be possible to remove just the bearings from the cups and find replacement ones you have good tools and technical skills but it is a pain because you have the cups pressed in the frame and then again the bearings pressed in the cups.
I have tried and with the knock block tab making the whole stuff even less serviceable I have exploded the bearings and marked the cups... It's not a good mechanical system in my opinion, life is so much easier when the bearings are easily removable from the cups like most brands.

Here is Acros statement for that:

Q: I would like to replace a bearing in my ACROS headset, but i have trouble removing it from the bearing shell. What can I do?

A: The bearings are press-fitted into the ACROS headsets, which means that the bearing and the bearing shell are fitted together using a kuckle goint press under huge exertion of force. This system provides many technical advantages as well as granting each headset a high life expectancy. In the rare case one of the bearings has to be replaced, please turn the headset to us. We guarantee a quick professional and prompt service, so you can get back on the bike as soon as possible.

High life expectancy is bullshit in my opinion, mines were toasted after less than one year !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles