Almost lost my bike on an Highway

StoneH

Jul 31, 2023
Portugal
Last weekend, returning home after an event my Orbea Rise M20 fell off to left side of my car while running on a highway.

I have being using a Proride 591 combined with my Rise M20 and i never experiencing nothing like that. However it's was my first journey at higher speeds ( aprox. 110 km/h, aprox 60 MPH) , since the the downtube is not oval or round , maibe the air resistance was the cause to the claw lose it's grip.

Luckily the wheels straps holded the bike until i stopped on the road side. And the only damage was on the car's roof.

Due to this i'm planning to order a new roof rack for my bike.

Thule Proride 598 is the one i've in mind , with it's new claw design compared with 591 -Thule Upride does not offer me much confidance .

My question is does anyone have tried Proride 598 in a Orbea Rise?

Thank you.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I agree with @Plummet above, but if you are resistant to that idea and would like to persist with the roof rack, here is something much cheaper than a new roof rack. Basically, you tie on the bike to the frame, with these nifty and quick to use Mega Twist Gear Tie wraps from Nite Ize. £9.99 each (probably plus postage and packing, which is why I bought two). I have had them for about three years and one of them has just lost the ball off one end when the number of twists eventually became too much for it. I lost about an inch and I'm still using the gear tie.

Gear Tie® Mega Twist Tie 32 in.

The 32" extra strong is just the right size to do what you see in the second picture.

Bike straps 1.jpg

Bike straps 3.jpg

Bike straps 2.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I couldn’t , and I wouldn’t, mount my eMTB’s on the roof of our car. Besides , I don’t think I could safely lift my eMTB over my head. I’m sure the attachment points could be secure enough but there’s other things to consider. Lifting, garage hight, underground parking clearance, constantly glancing through the moon-roof, forgetting that I need extra clearance, boarding the BC Ferries, wind stresses, etc.

We now use the Thule easy fold rack with a 2” hitch/receiver. Three locks and folds up like a piece of luggage when not in use. The rack and hitch can be a bit pricey though …but so are the bikes.

I like the idea that Steve mentioned for some added security. Especially to wrap around the battery tube during transport (Gear Tie). But I still count bike tires when I look into the rear view mirrors.
I lost about an inch and I'm still…

😳

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA
Last weekend, returning home after an event my Orbea Rise M20 fell off to left side of my car while running on a highway.

I have being using a Proride 591 combined with my Rise M20 and i never experiencing nothing like that. However it's was my first journey at higher speeds ( aprox. 110 km/h, aprox 60 MPH) , since the the downtube is not oval or round , maibe the air resistance was the cause to the claw lose it's grip.

Luckily the wheels straps holded the bike until i stopped on the road side. And the only damage was on the car's roof.

Due to this i'm planning to order a new roof rack for my bike.

Thule Proride 598 is the one i've in mind , with it's new claw design compared with 591 -Thule Upride does not offer me much confidance .

My question is does anyone have tried Proride 598 in a Orbea Rise?

Thank you.
"Due to this i'm planning to order a new roof rack for my bike."
How many times does this have to happen for you to figure out that a heavy ebike on the roof at 110lkph is not safe. You are fortunate that all that happened is your car's roof was damaged. The next time your bike comes loose it will go through the windshield of the car behind you, perhaps causing a major accident.
Bite the bullet and put on a 2" hitch receiver and get a rack designed to carry 50+ lb bikes.

Rikshaw

Jul 5, 2023
Sussex
Just reading this makes me think what would happen with mine. 😅😅 I run a seasucker bike mount for mine. Tested it out for the first time with my ebike. Worked great for my old Speciaised Demo 9 DH bike although that was a few kg's lighter... 😎

20230801_145057.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles