All you Tubeless guys!!

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
Done a search with no joy so don't shoot me for creating another thread. Those of you running the Hybrid DT Swiss wheel sets on your Vitus, do they come with the rim tape already installed? I got my new E-Escarpe this week that came with the tubeless valves and tool in a little bag, so i just wondered before i order all the kit and start dismantling the wheels if i will also need the rim tape?

Also whilst writing i have seen another thread going on about tubeless, but would be interested in you guys running these wheels who have converted, what sealant are you using and have you tried others and found one you are set on and generally how often do you have to replenish it. My first time going tubeless so would like to get it right first time round, cheers.

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
Done a search with no joy so don't shoot me for creating another thread. Those of you running the Hybrid DT Swiss wheel sets on your Vitus, do they come with the rim tape already installed? I got my new E-Escarpe this week that came with the tubeless valves and tool in a little bag, so i just wondered before i order all the kit and start dismantling the wheels if i will also need the rim tape?

Also whilst writing i have seen another thread going on about tubeless, but would be interested in you guys running these wheels who have converted, what sealant are you using and have you tried others and found one you are set on and generally how often do you have to replenish it. My first time going tubeless so would like to get it right first time round, cheers.
Nobody gone tubeless then on their Vitus?

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Best thing is to pop the bead and have a look. I’d have thought if it was sold as ‘tubeless ready’ the rims would come already taped.
I favour the Stans sealant.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Not really a Vitus specific issue so probably why youve not got a lot of response. Ask a Mod to move it to the general forum.

My Vitus had different wheels so i didnt comment, but tubeless is easy... if youve done it before. If you are new to it budget a few hours and accept there will be mess as you learn how it works, so do it outdoors in old clothing. Likely it will go together with no issue, modern tubeless rims and tyres do, but if it doesnt dont get frustrated and understand it may take time as you learn the 'quirks' of your particular setup.

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
Not really a Vitus specific issue so probably why youve not got a lot of response. Ask a Mod to move it to the general forum.

My Vitus had different wheels so i didnt comment, but tubeless is easy... if youve done it before. If you are new to it budget a few hours and accept there will be mess as you learn how it works, so do it outdoors in old clothing. Likely it will go together with no issue, modern tubeless rims and tyres do, but if it doesnt dont get frustrated and understand it may take time as you learn the 'quirks' of your particular setup.
I put it on here as there seem to be a lot of E-Sommet owners and i know there a few who have the same VRS spec of that model as mine that comes with the same DT Swiss wheelset, so just assumed i'd get a response, seems not the case. Doesn't need moving to the general forum as its specific to my bike, but thanks anyway.

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I think my 2019 E Sommet came pre Taped but either way just pop the bead and have a look.
I generally use Stans or Orange and have ran tubeless for ~15 years pretty much exclusively.
You still need to carry a spare innertube and something you use as a tyre boot for a big cut. I used to carry "bacon Strips" and have used them but now carry Stans Darts instead to make it less fiddly at the trail side (you need to use a compatible sealant (Stans works obviously with the Stans Darts). Normally on the rare occasion of a puncture that didn't seal I'd just stick in a spare innertube I carried.

Just make sure you seat the Valve properly and I'd recommend a high volume pump with an inflation cylinder or compressor to seat new tubeless tyres reliably. Lots of techniques so look on youtube but for anything stubborn i'll put in an inner tube.. inflate and leave a few hours then remove the innertube being careful only popping one side of the bead then seat with one side already seated. Once seated I let out the air, remove the valve core, add sealant then replace core and inflate.
I use a Tyreinvader in just the rear.. a much harder process so using an insert increases the difficulty IME.

raf

May 7, 2020
UK
The DH casing tyres that come on the sommet are ridiculously easy to set up tubeless - a 10 minute job at the most. They are already taped so just get one bead off the rim, pull the tube out, screw the supplied valves in, splash of sealant then pump it up. The tyres are so easy to seat that you could probably do it with a hand pump even, no need to worry about compressors etc!

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
My Focus wheels were supposed to be "Tubeless ready"....they definitely were not!!
Bike shop had hell of a job getting a good seal until they replaced the OEM tape with theirs ....thereafter no probs other than the usual blackthorns ,

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My Focus wheels were supposed to be "Tubeless ready"....they definitely were not!!
Bike shop had hell of a job getting a good seal until they replaced the OEM tape with theirs ....thereafter no probs other than the usual blackthorns ,
I have had enough fails with OE rim tape that I don't even try it anymore. I just strip it off and use my own preference.

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
The DH casing tyres that come on the sommet are ridiculously easy to set up tubeless - a 10 minute job at the most. They are already taped so just get one bead off the rim, pull the tube out, screw the supplied valves in, splash of sealant then pump it up. The tyres are so easy to seat that you could probably do it with a hand pump even, no need to worry about compressors etc!
Just the answer i was looking for, top lad, can't believe it took so long, just need to order some sealant then.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles