All New 2022 Trek Rail with SRAM Airwiz - First Look

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
I have been checking with a lot of Trek dealers in Norway to order a 2022 9.8 or 9.9 but it looks like the best delivery time I can get is best case September 2022, is it the same else where?
I spoke to a Trek dealer in Melbourne Australia today about a 9.8 XT and they said July 2022 for delivery.

Jerma

Mar 29, 2021
Finland
Can anyone post a picture of the 2022 Smart motor non-drive side without the bottom cover. I would like to see the motor connector positioning has it changed at all compared to 2020/2021 models. And, has the bottom protection cover changed in any way, meaning does water get in there to the connectors as easy as on 2020/2021 models ?

My 2020 Rail 7 motor lasted for 3800km and now is at the dealer waiting for a warranty replacement... Water ingress, probably via the bottom bracket bearings.

I just wonder has Bosch done anything on the 2022 motor for these moisture issues on the connectors and via the bottom bracket bearings ?

Jerma.

DLP

Nov 11, 2021
Los Angeles
I have been checking with a lot of Trek dealers in Norway to order a 2022 9.8 or 9.9 but it looks like the best delivery time I can get is best case September 2022, is it the same else where?
Placed an order on November 1st in Los Angeles for a 2022 9.8 Rail GX AXS with an expected delivery date of mid-December 2021.

Last edited:

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA

Trek just dropped the all new Rail. New geometry, new Bosch Smart with 750wh battery and the model I have has some awesome new suspension tech from @srammtb - AirWiz, that wirelessly sends air pressures to your phone, along with TyreWiz for tyre air pressures, all seamlessly linked into the SRAM AXS app. Neat!

I already picked up the bike and have a first look on my channel now
Well done Rob.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I’ve heard Blazing Bikes are getting the 22 models mid December. If you want one tell ‘em Rob sent ya they might do a cheeky deal!

20564AB3-4DB6-4B91-B9EA-8B1F8C8E26B6.jpeg

2628FB5D-13B7-403D-BCF2-847245B55CA9.jpeg

rail.jpg

Last edited:

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Now I see the Trek Rail 2022 and think... no way, I just spent a year fixing these problems, why start again. Almost everytime a new model with new technology comes out it take a year or two to fix the serious porblems...... The more electronics they put in the cooler, but also much more can go wrong.... Just want to ride my bike without hassles now :)
I never had an issue with the battery. With the battery out I aligned and centered the top mount so key was centered. Then I installed the battery & flipped the bike over. With the bike upside down, I loosened the lower mount and battery/lower mount slides up closer to the top mount then I tightened lower mount.. First time I did it, the connections were too close and battery wouldn't release (could be perfect if you don't remove battery). Repeated the steps again but this time stuck a 2mm allen key in the gap between the leading edge of the battery cover and the frame, then tightened the lower mount again and tight fit and battery released perfectly. No drooped batteries, never any power issues, 1500 miles and battery has never fallen out in the rockiest terrain I can find in Northern California.

Bremsbacke

Nov 24, 2021
Germany
Quick ride today. Bike feels really long. Well, it is long: 517mm reach / 1314mm wheelbase with Mino link in Low. Need to play around with a few bits to get it feeling good. But classic Rail feel, in a very good way. Rides great.. Stable, fast. Punchy.

Bike Stats:

Weight: 23.4 KG
Size: XL
Motor: Bosch Smart
Battery: 750Wh

Bosch motor feels the same (very good) and sounds the same. Still the Bosch 'clunk' over rough stuff. New controller. Hmmm. It looks and feels kinda cheap. There's not enough 'click' when you change modes. Feels a but mushy with gloves on. Bosch could have done a much better job with this. They need some better industrial design. I'm a bit disappointed with it overall, for a £12.5k bike (that frame / finish looks so good) I think the new remote really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Display is pretty impressive. Very very bright, super smooth and looks premium.

App is OK, easy to change the assist settings, but only on Turbo and Eco. Tour+ and EMTB are still fixed. It auto starts recording your rides and pauses when you stop. But at the moment at the end of the ride it just sits on the Bosch app, can't export to Strava, even by sending the GPS to a computer Strava rejects it as there's no timestamps in the GPX. No calorie or workout data, just some basic stuff recorded (distance/ speed / cadence etc). Hopefully Bosch can fix this and at least allow a link to Strava.

Also, I accidentally turned the bike off a couple of times, the lightest press on the 'on / off' button will turn it the bike off. Most bikes require a press for a couple of seconds to cycle the power. Not this one, a fraction of a second will turn it on or off. Again, hopefully Bosch can fix this.

Battery life I think will be seriously impressive with this, especially now Trek are using Tour+ mode.

View attachment 74799
Hello, I own a Rail 9.9 from 21 since a few days. Due to permanent heavy rain all day long it did not ride it so far.
I reply to this post because here is mentioned the Tour+ Mode. I have read a lot before and I‘m wondering that it is not the emtb lite mode. Are both exactly the same?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hello, I own a Rail 9.9 from 21 since a few days. Due to permanent heavy rain all day long it did not ride it so far.
I reply to this post because here is mentioned the Tour+ Mode. I have read a lot before and I‘m wondering that it is not the emtb lite mode. Are both exactly the same?
No. EMTB lite never gave full assist. Tour+ goes from Eco to Turbo. It’s a very efficient mode and on flats uses more of a mode similar to Eco, but still gives full motor turbo punch upon more leg power input.

Bremsbacke

Nov 24, 2021
Germany
No. EMTB lite never gave full assist. Tour+ goes from Eco to Turbo. It’s a very efficient mode and on flats uses more of a mode similar to Eco, but still gives full motor turbo punch upon more leg power input.
Ok but I understood (because it is written in German forums) that Trek has emtb lite (assistance from Eco to Sport Mode) and Tour+ is i.e. for Cube and other brands with Bosch. And Moustache calls it Magic Tour…

If I own a Trek, can I get Tour+ as well? Emtb lite would be better for me. Unfortunately the „old“ Kiox does display only Tour

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
The new 2022 Treks have Tour+ so I believe that eMTB Lite was an interim solution for the Rail.

here’s the new Bosch Flow app that shows the modes. And it also says Tour+ on the display when you select it.

CD436CE1-5D68-44EE-A804-B20F3686F12F.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles