Article All new 2020 Merida eONE-SIXTY

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Nice looking bike but I’m more than happy with my 900e, it’s a great bike.
The 10k will probably be around $16000 here in NZ.
An extra $6000 for a fancy battery and a bit of carbon. I don’t think so.
Hope the new bikes perform as good as they look to justify the huge price.
E MTB magazine gave the 10k a great review.
Maybe the 9000 would be the way to go price wise.
They do look nice though ??

Last edited:

eBikeLife

Jan 19, 2019
Bulgaria
This bike looks absolutely amazing. Seen a embn Youtube video review of the bike, and seems amazing
However it comes with a BIG price tag. Fully fitted, with extra battery, its 10K.
I would never pay 10K for a bike. i mean honestly, i prefer buy a bike for the 3K and use the remaining 7K for a motorbike ;-)
Best of both worlds.

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
Shows that beauty is in the eye of the beholder - to my eyes it's blooming fuggly. :(

Battery integration implementation seems worst of both worlds, price is silly, aesthetics are woeful compared to the Levo, carbon serves no advantage here, the drivetrain is over the top and battery size is so 2018... ;)

If you want a Shimano motor and a similar spec I cannot see how this in any way betters the Vitus E Sommet at half the price?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Quick update - Merida have been in touch to add to the feedback on the 504Wh battery in my video:

" The decision to go with a 504Wh battery was a very deliberate one. The main reason is that the size of the battery has a big impact on the riding performance, and choosing a 504Wh size battery gives is the chance to optimise the low centre of gravity, for perfect corning. A high end electric sports car would follow the same principle and would focus on perfect handling and riding performance, rather than maximum reach.

To give riders who are looking for extra-long distance performance, we offer the 10k model with a 2nd battery and an EVOC backpack (approx. retail value around €1,000) to easily take the 2nd battery for the extra-long outings. The new ENERGY GATE battery cover allows a super-fast and easy battery change, even out on the trail. And finally, by creating a battery opening for a 504Wh battery, allows us to keep the frame stiff as well lightweight. A bigger opening would require extra material to compensate for the loss of stiffness. "

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Quick update - Merida have been in touch to add to the feedback on the 504Wh battery in my video:

" The decision to go with a 504Wh battery was a very deliberate one. The main reason is that the size of the battery has a big impact on the riding performance, and choosing a 504Wh size battery gives is the chance to optimise the low centre of gravity, for perfect corning. A high end electric sports car would follow the same principle and would focus on perfect handling and riding performance, rather than maximum reach.

To give riders who are looking for extra-long distance performance, we offer the 10k model with a 2nd battery and an EVOC backpack (approx. retail value around €1,000) to easily take the 2nd battery for the extra-long outings. The new ENERGY GATE battery cover allows a super-fast and easy battery change, even out on the trail. And finally, by creating a battery opening for a 504Wh battery, allows us to keep the frame stiff as well lightweight. A bigger opening would require extra material to compensate for the loss of stiffness. "

The reference to "a high end sports car" in Merida's above response made me smile.

I have such a vehicle on my drive.

A BMW Z4 tin top convertible, 2.0 litres, 0 - 60 in six seconds, top speed of 140 mph, four years old and covered 16,000 miles.

For sale for the same price as a Merida 10k.

This is not an advert, just trying to put things in perspective. But then who ever said MTBs of any type were good value?

-W-

Jan 6, 2019
Finland
Seems to be that Specialized is the only one who actually can make reasonable light bike with integrated battery. Maybe they have patented that structure where the battery slides from bottom and you can keep the down tube as a tube and because of that use reasonable wall thicknesses and so on..

Like Merida said themselves in one of the articles "..an opening in the down tube for the integrated battery can reduce stiffness by up to 70% " and that is most likely true since that 10k model weight with the carbon frame and carbon wheels is still in the same rough level than almost half the price aluminum models from Canyon, Vitus, Commencal etc.. which use external battery.

Expensive stuff this integration, but it is the trend at the moment. Just hard to justify twice the price compared to some other models with same motor and suspension components.. And I thought that new 2019 Levo´s were ridiculously expensive - they are starting to look like a bargain to me! :LOL:

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
Can't agree on the battery capacity being a problem though - this battery is small enough to fit a backpack. 500w is typically enough for the overwhelming majority of rides - then why would you be forced to carry the weight and bulk of a, say, 700w on all of such rides, knowing you're not going to use it? You only add bulk when you feel you might need it - by carrying your second battery - giving you 1000w instead of the current max in-tube limit of 700.

Levo Lution

Oct 10, 2018
Slovakia
Seems to be that Specialized is the only one who actually can make reasonable light bike with integrated battery. Maybe they have patented that structure where the battery slides from bottom and you can keep the down tube as a tube and because of that use reasonable wall thicknesses and so on..

Like Merida said themselves in one of the articles "..an opening in the down tube for the integrated battery can reduce stiffness by up to 70% " and that is most likely true since that 10k model weight with the carbon frame and carbon wheels is still in the same rough level than almost half the price aluminum models from Canyon, Vitus, Commencal etc.. which use external battery.

Expensive stuff this integration, but it is the trend at the moment. Just hard to justify twice the price compared to some other models with same motor and suspension components.. And I thought that new 2019 Levo´s were ridiculously expensive - they are starting to look like a bargain to me! :LOL:
That's why I ordered Canyon Spectral ON:7 and it just showed up at my door like 15 minutes ago!!!
I am so excited? ...hope everything is in the box?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Can't agree on the battery capacity being a problem though - this battery is small enough to fit a backpack. 500w is typically enough for the overwhelming majority of rides - then why would you be forced to carry the weight and bulk of a, say, 700w on all of such rides, knowing you're not going to use it? You only add bulk when you feel you might need it - by carrying your second battery - giving you 1000w instead of the current max in-tube limit of 700.

Totally agree. I have a Focus Jam2 where a supplementary battery is part of the design/spec, only problem with it is that I find the 378wh batteries supplied a tad too small in power whilst being less than half a kilo less in weight than a 500wh one. Otherwise I find it a very practical solution for range anxiety.

Still struggling to get my head around the prices of the new Meridas though, but I guess they know that people will pay it.

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK

I don't know - everyone is different in how far and hard they ride and for many people a 500wh might only be suitable for 50% of rides wheras the 700 wh battery gives you (going by Levo 500wh:700 wh weight = +750g) an extra 15 to 20 miles on top of the 500 wh for just a 4% weight increase on the bike and would cater for maybe 90% of rides.

I hate carrying anything on my back let alone a few kilos of lithium-ion so it has to go on the bike IMHO.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
I don't know - everyone is different in how far and hard they ride and for many people a 500wh might only be suitable for 50% of rides wheras the 700 wh battery gives you (going by Levo 500wh:700 wh weight = +750g) an extra 15 to 20 miles on top of the 500 wh for just a 4% weight increase on the bike and would cater for maybe 90% of rides.

I hate carrying anything on my back let alone a few kilos of lithium-ion so it has to go on the bike IMHO.
I can see the logic in what Merida have done re the battery though. Getting the battery out quickly is a plus in my book - and being able to carry another battery when needed is a big plus. Re price - for some reason you guys in the UK seem to pay higher prices for Meridas than we do down under. This is probably why there appear to be many more Merida's in this part of the world than in the UK. It will be interesting to see prices in Australasia compared to say Levo prices.

Last edited:

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Yeah, UK Merida pricing seems a bit high. In Norway the old e160-800 is cheaper than the base Levo. The new carbon e160-8000 will be about 2k NOK (€200ish) cheaper than the Levo Comp Carbon.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
It will be interesting to see prices in Australasia compared to say Levo prices.

They are listing at oz $ 8k for the 8 k, 9 k for the 9 k , but 12 k for the 10 k - presumably that extra battery and back pack is costing $2 k ? Weird marketing decision, but I guess it's generating lots of discussion and might drag merida out f the " budget" perception?

They are listing at oz $ 8k for the 8 k, 9 k for the 9 k , but 12 k for the 10 k - presumably that extra battery and back pack is costing $2 k ? Weird marketing decision, but I guess it's generating lots of discussion and might drag merida out f the " budget" perception?
Not to mention the meridas are often heavily discounted, I think its rare to pay even close to the rrp...well here in oz anyway.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales

Just over £6500 for a 10k in Oz, its almost worth buying one out there and riding it back to the UK. :)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Is there any info on the 9k model? I can’t seem to find any
Mentioned this in the live stream...

I think that Merida made a mistake by heavily featuring the 10K (the £9500 bike) in all of their promo / press stuff... It generated a lot of talk around the price.

I think they should have featured the other bikes, then the 10K as an option (much like the S-Works is on the Levo)... instead, almost every piece of marketing points to a £9500 Ebike...

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Mentioned this in the live stream...

I think that Merida made a mistake by heavily featuring the 10K (the £9500 bike) in all of their promo / press stuff... It generated a lot of talk around the price.

I think they should have featured the other bikes, then the 10K as an option (much like the S-Works is on the Levo)... instead, almost every piece of marketing points to a £9500 Ebike...

Guess they're publicising the 'halo' model for maximum attention, it even got you talking about it on your live stream, which I watched on You Tube this afternoon.

Intrigued as to what you are going to tell us about the E-Zesty.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Problem is the entry level model has the e7000 motor, so even at that price point its very expensive compared to rivals.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles