Air pressure in forks

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I have aTrek Powerfly 4 FS bike. I weigh 80kgs. On a ride yesterday I noticed that my forks were very, very near to bottoming out. I know that there is not a definitive answer to this but what sort of PSI should I be aiming for? I would like to run on the softer side to protect my wrists. When I checked they were at approx. 30 psi.

Al

Stanpipe

Jun 12, 2020
Isle of Wight - UK
Al, you’re right, there’s no definitive answer as everyone seems to have their own preferences. However, that said, 30psi seems to well below the average for your weight. I’m 90kg and run 88psi on my Rail 9. What fork are you running? It’s usually easy enough to go to manufacturers website to find out their recommended settings for a certain weight. Reducing low speed compression will help with fork feeling smoother for your wrists but bear in mind it may also affect other riding characteristics. Hope this helps.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Thank you for a clear and simple answers. No sarcasm or point scoring. They are "XCR SA Suntour". The sag setting is about 25%. Not sure why I didn't check the manufacturers site in the first place. DOH!

Al

Last edited:

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
I would like to run on the softer side to protect my wrists.

In case it is helpful, just setting up soft is no guarantee to protect wrists. Really soft settings don't rebound as fast leading to "packing down"; successive bumps arrive before the fork has recovered from the previous bump, getting lower and lower in its stroke. This usually feels incredibly harsh and kills your wrists.

All setup is compromise and sometimes you just need to experiment. Just bear in mind that too firm can feel harsh and too soft can feel harsh. You're aiming for a good sweet spot in the middle

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles