Aggressive hardtail emtb

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I'm fairly new to mountain biking and like a lot of people it seems I started on an old hardtail that I put some time and money into restoring, took it to bike park Wales on my first every trip to a bike park and loved every second of it.
I spent 6 months on it and then moved on to a full sus emtb. (I'm getting on a bit and found I was enjoying down hill/ enduro riding and bike parks more than trail riding)

While a full suspension bike is better I loved a hardtail and the only thing I'd love more is an electric hardtail!

From a quick search it seems bike manufacturers are missing a trick as there are no aggressive hardtails.
Something like the nuke proof scout with a motor would be amazing.

Is there any other love for the humble hardtail.
How would you go about building your own emtb hardtail.

I'm intrigued by the rocky mountain motor and have seen the powerplay growler, but it's the geo on point?
What's your thoughts?

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I love my HT, I also love my Eeb's. We have discussed this on journeys about having a good fun aggressive Eeb HT. I think there's space in the market for one for sure, like you say a Nukeproof or even a SL version of the Chameleon with the new motor and a 400 battery. I'd buy one.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
For sure! Ideal would be mullet set up with some cushcores or similar, wide super soft tyres, big travel enduro forks.
Slack frame, nice groupset and powerful brakes.

Would you go light weight or full fat for the motor though?

I'd like full fat but the extra weight could be too detrimental 🤷‍♂️

I don't think there is even a HT frame worth building around at the moment.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
But some 10kg weight on your HT and go to trails and see how fun it is 😂 I can tell that it will suck. I have acoustic HT and I love it, but wouldn't want one with engine.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I'm sure they said the same thing about full fat MTBs but look where we are 😆

I don't disagree with you though, I guess light weight is what makes a hardtail.

Maybe trying to make an all out downhill HT isn't the way to go but I still like the idea of one 🤟

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
But some 10kg weight on your HT and go to trails and see how fun it is 😂 I can tell that it will suck. I have acoustic HT and I love it, but wouldn't want one with engine.
Agreed.
The essence of hardtail trail riding is that you take the suspension duties with your legs, and the lighter the frame the best results you will get.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
I feel ya! I think a nice slack enduro Ebike would do well, especially with the new Bosch SX motor.

I purchased a 2020 Mondraker Prime as it covers nearly everything I can throw at it, which also included towing a kids buggy behind it on epic.

The mondraker caught my attention as it was a couple of kg's lighter than the equivalent Cube/Trek etc. It is just a shame that nearly all HT have a 69* head angle...

I now run -2* angled headset, 120mm Pike Ultimate fork, mullet setup DHF 29 x 2.6 - DHR II 27.5 x 2.8.

This month I have done Dollywagen Pike and Sticks Pass as well as a 45km trek around Lady Bower Reservoir, including Potato Alley etc...

I may go up to 140mm on the pike in the future...

A9971308-73A5-4CB0-B7B9-1FDAE236224A.jpeg

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
I should add that with the slight changes I have made the head tube angle is now 66* and if I where to extend the fork to 140mm it would be at 65*, although the seat tube angle is getting slack, currently at 73*.
Screen Shot 2023-09-18 at 19.15.54.png

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Nice! Appreciate the effort you've put into that build and it obviously performs well too.

I've not seen the Prime before so I'll have a look into it.
it's a shame there is nothing out there slacker, Guessing putting anything over a 140 would make it pretty unrideable other than downhill?

That calculator is super handy too (y)

aRvO

Mar 5, 2024
Portugal
I feel ya! I think a nice slack enduro Ebike would do well, especially with the new Bosch SX motor.

I purchased a 2020 Mondraker Prime as it covers nearly everything I can throw at it, which also included towing a kids buggy behind it on epic.

The mondraker caught my attention as it was a couple of kg's lighter than the equivalent Cube/Trek etc. It is just a shame that nearly all HT have a 69* head angle...

I now run -2* angled headset, 120mm Pike Ultimate fork, mullet setup DHF 29 x 2.6 - DHR II 27.5 x 2.8.

This month I have done Dollywagen Pike and Sticks Pass as well as a 45km trek around Lady Bower Reservoir, including Potato Alley etc...

I may go up to 140mm on the pike in the future...

View attachment 125092
Nice rig! Have the same bike and if sure handles it well above its purpose. Good idea with the angled headset. Which one you have? Thought of trying the one from works components EC44-ZS56

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
This just landed
Wow, that looks completely terrible!
I know I can be a snob, but there wasn't anything I liked about that, and I've had a number of On-One bikes in the past.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
They mention slack geometry but haven't given any figures yet. It's a good price point though.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
In the US, there are not many options for a hardtail eeb at all. We just got the Canyon Grand Canyon last month.

I picked up a Yamaha Torc for my daughter last year second hand cheap. I remember riding it a little and thinking how much fun an aggressive hardtail would be. I looked pretty hard but came to the same conclusion you guys have. I think there would be a market for a light weight hardtail with a small motor like the fazua or the TQ and a 350-400wh battery. I think it shouldn't be hard to make a 35lb bike with one of those motors and a non removable battery.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
That being said, I found this bike the other day on a killer sale. I looked it over and it seems like it may fit the bill. Long reach, nice chainstays, and decent specs. It has a 66 degree headtube angle but is approved for a 140mm fork. Throw a 140mm fox 36, decent brakes and some double down tires on it and it would be a killer bike. Maybe an angled headset too.

Edit:

Last edited:

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
That being said, I found this bike the other day on a killer sale. I looked it over and it seems like it may fit the bill. Long reach, nice chainstays, and decent specs. It has a 66 degree headtube angle but is approved for a 140mm fork. Throw a 140mm fox 36, decent brakes and some double down tires on it and it would be a killer bike. Maybe an angled headset too.
Which bike are you referring to?

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
Which bike are you referring to?
I completely forgot to drop the link. 🤦‍♂️

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
Nice! some good geometry but what is going on with that chain stay!? looks like a modern chain tensioner, I didn't see it being marketed as having variable chainstay length. I bet all those links make it flex. Kona have been around so they know what they are doing.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
clearly more aggressive hard tails coming out, that vitus is well priced! But Chain Reaction has gone under right?

It has a 65’ head tube angle, but why so heavy? 23.5kgs tubless, no idea at what size.
The Mondraker Prime I have is about 20kgs in a large. With 625wh battery.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
I would love a Sentier seeing as how I have an E-Mythique, but unfortunately we'll never have one in the USA. I even thought of seeing if they'd ship me one without a battery since it uses the same battery as my current bike. At least then it could be shipped by air.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles