Afan

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Just spent a week camping in South Wales including a visit to Afan Forest.
We set up at a lovely quiet site in Blackmill nr Bridgend which is a 40 minute spectacular drive to Afan Forest Park Visitor Centre. Myself and my mate rode the red Penhydd trail which is 15kms with 550 mtrs climb whilst the girls did 18 km on the Rheilfordd (former railway line) green trail.
We had intended going back the following day to the nearby Glyncorryg MTB Centre to ride the Whites Level trail but clear blue sky and 26 degrees was just too hot for us.
Finding places in this area is a bit of a trial! Sat nav using postcode will get you lost and Google Maps is no better! Apart from that if you are looking for a mtb break with no traffic jams no crowds and fantastic riding then Afan is well worth a visit.
All the trails involve quite a bit of climbing. I used my Whyte E180RS which is not ideal on the climbs but made the descents good fun......my Levo may have been a better compromise between climbing and descending.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
I usually stay at the Bryn Bettws lodge at the bike park, or the Glyncorrwg ponds campsite. Both are in a superb location to get straight out on the trails. The area is well worth an explore. My personal favourites are W2 and Blade. It's so nice to get have fresh legs after the climb from Glyncorrwg ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There is some ongoing work in the visitor centre car park but still plenty of spaces..........didnt notice any trail disruptions.

Chris6

Apr 4, 2019
South west
Glyncorryg is worth a visit White’s level & Blade are good 30+min climb at beginning for both .Rode both last week in that heat. Doable in a day for me from Torquay . Only a bit longer from Weymouth worth the trip?

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Just spent a week camping in South Wales including a visit to Afan Forest.
We set up at a lovely quiet site in Blackmill nr Bridgend which is a 40 minute spectacular drive to Afan Forest Park Visitor Centre. Myself and my mate rode the red Penhydd trail which is 15kms with 550 mtrs climb whilst the girls did 18 km on the Rheilfordd (former railway line) green trail.
We had intended going back the following day to the nearby Glyncorryg MTB Centre to ride the Whites Level trail but clear blue sky and 26 degrees was just too hot for us.
Finding places in this area is a bit of a trial! Sat nav using postcode will get you lost and Google Maps is no better! Apart from that if you are looking for a mtb break with no traffic jams no crowds and fantastic riding then Afan is well worth a visit.
All the trails involve quite a bit of climbing. I used my Whyte E180RS which is not ideal on the climbs but made the descents good fun......my Levo may have been a better compromise between climbing and descending.
Two words...

"Ordnance" and "Survey".

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles