Adventure ride spares and repair.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
On my local rides I have a spare tube co2 cannisters, levers, allen keys and zip ties all permanently on the bike. For longer adventure rides I use a backpac and am thinking about what additional tools and spares I should take. My question is concerning chains.
Currently I pack a KMC chain tool, master links and the Park Tool master link removal tool. That still means doing a chain repair if there is a problem. So now Im thinking it would be lighter and easier just to take a spare chain that is reduced to correct size all ready to fit....the master link removal pliers would still be needed to break a twisted chain etc but not the chain tool (which is pretty heavy but more reliable than more portable versions. The spare chain could even be the cheaper half nickel version of the Kmc 1x11 which can be had for half the price of the KMC 1X11 ET on ebay.
So what do you guys pack for chains

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
On my local rides I have a spare tube co2 cannisters, levers, allen keys and zip ties all permanently on the bike. For longer adventure rides I use a backpac and am thinking about what additional tools and spares I should take. My question is concerning chains.
Currently I pack a KMC chain tool, master links and the Park Tool master link removal tool. That still means doing a chain repair if there is a problem. So now Im thinking it would be lighter and easier just to take a spare chain that is reduced to correct size all ready to fit....the master link removal pliers would still be needed to break a twisted chain etc but not the chain tool (which is pretty heavy but more reliable than more portable versions. The spare chain could even be the cheaper half nickel version of the Kmc 1x11 which can be had for half the price of the KMC 1X11 ET on ebay.

One idea, instead of a master link removal pliers I simply bring a shoe lace. Just stick the ends through the chain link where the master link is located and pull them towards each other and voila...

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
by the way I can see no difference between the KMC e11 EPT ( the new name ) and the KMC X11 EPT ( the previous name).....except that the e11 EPT is being sold at a more expensive price!!

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia

I take 2 master links (quick links) and around 100mm of chain, that way if my chain breaks or has a damaged bit I can remove that piece and replace it to the correct length.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles