Adjusting the lever reach?

shacall2

Sep 25, 2019
California (SoCal)
Just moved to a Wild FS M10 (have 3 Levos)...and boy am I happy! Absolutely love this bike so far. My only complaint are the brake levers. The reach is too far, and I can't figure out if they're adjustable.

On our Levos, we have adjustment knobs to bring in/out the levers. Is it possible to adjust these levers? The M10 has the following:

Shimano Deore M6100 I-Spec EV

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Hi Shacall2
I was wondering the same thing as all my previous mtbs have had SRAM brakes and reach adjustable. I have also just moved from a Levo to a WILD M 10 and I agree, an amazing bike..... but I'd like to adjust the reach on the levers, just like you
My only issue is that due to my (age related) eye-sight..... I find it difficult to see the detail on the KIOX :)

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
It don't think this solves my problem. I want to shorten the distance between starting to pull the lever and the lever biting i.e. bring the lever nearer to my fingers in the rest position. If I adjust that screw it simply moves the whole the whole thing in and brings the lever nearer to my fingers. Am I missing something?

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
It don't think this solves my problem. I want to shorten the distance between starting to pull the lever and the lever biting i.e. bring the lever nearer to my fingers in the rest position. If I adjust that screw it simply moves the whole the whole thing in and brings the lever nearer to my fingers. Am I missing something?

I think you want to adjust the bite point, or reduce the free stroke. there are levers out there that have the adjustability, normally the top of the range ones

like this
Shimano XTR BL-M9120 Complete Brake Lever | Chain Reaction Cycles

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
@JoeBlow If your lever doesn't have the free stroke/bite point adjustment screw, the best way to achieve this is to advance the pistons.

Take out the quick release/through axle and drop the wheel so the rotor is clear of the caliper.
Pull and release the brake lever once, and reinsert the wheel etc and see how that feels.

If its still too far for your preference, repeat the above.

If you go too far and its now too close, you can use a wide flat screwdriver between the pads to gently lever the pistons back (don't twist the screwdriver).

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

Bite point and lever reach are different. The lower end units don't have bite point adjust. SHimano brakes don't have a huge throw. Are you sure you don't just need a brake bleed?

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles