ACF 50 application

Wilford Matt

Nov 10, 2021
Nottingham
I know that it’s used on electrics, battery connectors and any where you deem fit etc
But the question I have is around the charging port.
Should you spay into the charging port?
My port is on top the motor so any residue can’t drain away with out turning bike upside down and creating a mess everywhere, or on its side to drain out. Should I spray into the port?
If I spayed into the port would there be any consequences if I can’t get the excess out?
Thanks in advance of your assistance

Madmatt75

Nov 22, 2018
London
Never spray ACF50. Always apply with a rag. Should be ok on charge port, I use it around the electrics on my motorcycle with no problems.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I can see the benefits of ACF50 on a motorbike but I do not believe it is the right product to clean and protect electrical contacts. Electrical contacts have specific metal coatings which in the main only really need to be kept clean and dry. Exposure to the air can however cause some contamination over time ( mostly oxidisation) so the best product to use on the charging port is electrical contact cleaner. Electrical contact cleaner attacks any contamination/oxidisation and removes it. It also evaporates pretty quickly so whilst you could spray it onto your charge port, if it is positioned as you say, I would instead, remove the battery, then spray the contacts on your charger and immediately plug it into the charge port. Maybe repeat that a couple of times to transfer the contact cleaner deep into the charge port female contacts. Leave for 10 mins ( in a reasonably warm environment) and reinstall the battery. If you are talking a bout the Bosch charging port format, the male/female contact charging method is a design that self cleans in any case.

Where ACF50 may be useful is the area where all the electrical connecions are made going into the motor PCB. That could be sprayed.....with all of the connections in place. It would help to seal those connections and displace any water that got into that area.

Wilford Matt

Nov 10, 2021
Nottingham
I can see the benefits of ACF50 on a motorbike but I do not believe it is the right product to clean and protect electrical contacts. Electrical contacts have specific metal coatings which in the main only really need to be kept clean and dry. Exposure to the air can however cause some contamination over time ( mostly oxidisation) so the best product to use on the charging port is electrical contact cleaner. Electrical contact cleaner attacks any contamination/oxidisation and removes it. It also evaporates pretty quickly so whilst you could spray it onto your charge port, if it is positioned as you say, I would instead, remove the battery, then spray the contacts on your charger and immediately plug it into the charge port. Maybe repeat that a couple of times to transfer the contact cleaner deep into the charge port female contacts. Leave for 10 mins ( in a reasonably warm environment) and reinstall the battery. If you are talking a bout the Bosch charging port format, the male/female contact charging method is a design that self cleans in any case.

Where ACF50 may be useful is the area where all the electrical connecions are made going into the motor PCB. That could be sprayed.....with all of the connections in place. It would help to seal those connections and displace any water that got into that area.
Good food for thought. 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles