• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Accidentally purchased illegal ebikes?

Lollum2020

Jul 25, 2023
Liverpool
I kind of messed up and purchased two Lankeleisi XF4000 1000w ebikes from an online retailer in the UK. The retailer did not mention about the 250w rule and i was unaware when ordering. I tried to return the bikes but apparently as they are not in the "sealed original packaging" i can not return them..

I'm now stuck with £2700 of ebikes, £3000 including the accessories which i have absolutely no clue what to do with or how or where i can use them without getting them seized.

Should i use them on popular hiking/biking trails in Wales and Scotland, would i be committing a criminal offence?

Honestly any advice would be appreciated. I've read that i can install some sort of switch to limit the top speed but I'm not sure how viable this is,

FYI: asked this question on another ebike forum and got banned for even considering using my £3000 of purchases on woodland trails. I hope the response here will be more understanding!

Many thanks

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
If you dont like it cut your losses and sell it. Sell it as it is, an unrestricted 1000w e bike. Someone will buy it. Obviously not at full price, maybe yourl get £2000. That is the price you pay for not doing enough research before buying.

Chalk it up to experience, Go into a brinks and motor bike shop and but an e bike that meets regulations.

Lollum2020

Jul 25, 2023
Liverpool

If it’s within 14 days you have a right to return them for a refund.

Even when they say this in the terms and conditions on their website? Admittedly this was not presented to me on the order page. Just hidden in a Refund Terms page at the footer of the website.

1. Returns can not be accepted if the bike is not still in its sealed retail packaging
2. Returns can not be accepted if the bike is or has been assembled

The bikes was only purchased 3 days ago!

Lollum2020

Jul 25, 2023
Liverpool
You can't use them anywhere in the UK, unless on private land with the landowners permission.
And if i do use them offroad in the UK will i still be hit with the not insured, not registered motor vehicle charges:? Even though its not actually on a road?

If i can return them, believe me i far would prefer to do so!

Oxon

Jun 30, 2021
The Shire
Even when they say this in the terms and conditions on their website?
It’s illegal to display any notice that deliberately misleads consumers or deceives them about their rights, for example a sign that says you do not accept returns or offer refunds.

This is taken from the page I linked to.

Contact Citizen’s Advice tomorrow and see what they say. I’d make a point of mentioning that the bikes aren’t road legal in the UK and see what they say.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I would try the mis-sold approach. If there's no indication anywhere that they aren't electric bicycles as defined by law you should be able to get a satisfactory resolution.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If you paid on a credit card there may be some protection under Section 75.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Even when they say this in the terms and conditions on their website? Admittedly this was not presented to me on the order page. Just hidden in a Refund Terms page at the footer of the website.

1. Returns can not be accepted if the bike is not still in its sealed retail packaging
2. Returns can not be accepted if the bike is or has been assembled

The bikes was only purchased 3 days ago!
These terms aren’t law so don’t mean shit , you should get a refund !

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
Definitely keep trying to return them. Possibly opening up a small claims case?

If you end up keeping them I doubt anyone would notice it's 1000w if you restrict the speed.
How do you even know it's 1000 watts??? I'm not sure I'd trust the marketing.

I have a Radwagon with a 750w hub motor and it feels like it has far less power than the "250w" Shimano E8000 in my emtb (which I think is actually 500w). I think more recent legal motors are actually putting out up to 600w and seem to do so indefinitely.
I'm not quite sure how all this is legal as there seems to be no concrete legal definition of what 250w means other than to say it's a "nominal" wattage.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If the bike was sold as a cycle I reckon you have a cast iron case for being mis sold............because a cycle ( in the UK) is either an analogue bike or a pedelec ( 250w motor/restrcited to pedal assist/no throttle, max assisted speed 25kph). Even if it was described a s a BIKE, that is a much used used descriptor but has no standing in the Traffic Acts. It is either a cycle, a moped or a motorcycle ( electric or ICE). Legally in the UK the bikes you bought are probably mopeds which require tax and insurance and type approval before they can be registered with the DVLA........ and are restricted to public highways.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth

If you end up keeping them I doubt anyone would notice it's 1000w if you restrict the speed.

I have a Radwagon with a 750w hub motor and it feels like it has far less power than the "250w" Shimano E8000 in my emtb (which I think is actually 500w). I think more recent legal motors are actually putting out up to 600w and seem to do so indefinitely.
I'm not quite sure how all this is legal as there seems to be no concrete legal definition of what 250w means other than to say it's a "nominal" wattage.
The nominal rating of an electric motor is the maximum output it can sustain over a short period of time without overheating and destroying itself. Yes 250w motors can peak at c 540w but only for a very short period of time.....ie seconds.

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
To be fair to the OP, on the website there is no mention of the bike being illegal, so I should think it's a slam-dunk of miss-sold, not everyone knows the law regarding e-bikes, so should be in the description!

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
Living in a big city,what I am currently witnessing when it comes to electric bicycles of any discribtion is totally chaos,from not only sales but enforcement as well even seen an advert on the side of the road advising that there’s no need to insure when using on the highway,and there is always going to be a temptation to buy because their cheap and the legal stuff here in the UK is anything but.

I see folk riding home from work more than able to stand their ground in the night time traffic,no number plate so what happens in the event of an accident?????

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I wish people...especially the media........would stop using the term "E Bike". It has no legal definition and could mean anything from a pedelec/EPAC to a motorbike. Very often media reports of lithium battery fires or tragic accidents merely refer to the vehicle involved as an E Bike when it is in fact a moped or a motorbike.......or would be if properly type approved and registered.........otherwise it is merely an illegal two wheeled vehicle. The entire sector of electrically powered forms of transport really needs to be reviewed by the Government .............probably never happen though!!

Lollum2020

Jul 25, 2023
Liverpool

I guess I only have two options really. Start a small claims case and be without bikes for god knows how long or keep them!

After all regardless of what case I pose to the company if they refuse then they refuse. I believe the small claims case is one of my only options which with how long they take now isn't really a viable option.

Lollum2020

Jul 25, 2023
Liverpool
I wish people...especially the media........would stop using the term "E Bike". It has no legal definition and could mean anything from a pedelec/EPAC to a motorbike. Very often media reports of lithium battery fires or tragic accidents merely refer to the vehicle involved as an E Bike when it is in fact a moped or a motorbike.......or would be if properly type approved and registered.........otherwise it is merely an illegal two wheeled vehicle. The entire sector of electrically powered forms of transport really needs to be reviewed by the Government .............probably never happen though!!

Honestly the entire law needs rewriting in my opinion. Calling an ebike that struggles to do 28mph a motorcycle is just absurd. An average cyclist can attain that with nothing more than a decent unassisted road bike and leg work!

Lollum2020

Jul 25, 2023
Liverpool
Living in a big city,what I am currently witnessing when it comes to electric bicycles of any discribtion is totally chaos,from not only sales but enforcement as well even seen an advert on the side of the road advising that there’s no need to insure when using on the highway,and there is always going to be a temptation to buy because their cheap and the legal stuff here in the UK is anything but.

I see folk riding home from work more than able to stand their ground in the night time traffic,no number plate so what happens in the event of an accident?????
I completely understand your point. Though just to confirm I'm not one of these idiots zipping around a busy town centre on a 1kw bike with no clue how to ride.

I intended to use the bikes off road on public hiking and biking trails. Forest paths, mud paths ect. Yes that may have originally Included some light country lane cycling.

I wouldn't be anymore likely to get into an accident than anyone else riding a non assisted bike. In fact probably far less likely being on secluded hiking trails in the middle of nowhere.

Lollum2020

Jul 25, 2023
Liverpool
To be fair to the OP, on the website there is no mention of the bike being illegal, so I should think it's a slam-dunk of miss-sold, not everyone knows the law regarding e-bikes, so should be in the description!

Yeah, I honestly had no idea about the whole 250w rule when ordering!!

Lollum2020

Jul 25, 2023
Liverpool
Being honest here guys. How many of you are putting overpowered bikes on your car rack and driving them to hiking/bike trails to use? I hear plenty of cases of people using them in city centres (deliveroo)

I'd like to know how many of you are doing this and if any of you have actually been caught?

Plus I'd like to know what generally happens if you are caught off road on biking trails. Is it still treated as a criminal offence even off road? Are you able to get the bike back?

Seen a very disturbing video on YouTube of Birmingham police crushing a bunch of ebikes. Very sad!

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
Being honest here guys. How many of you are putting overpowered bikes on your car rack and driving them to hiking/bike trails to use? I hear plenty of cases of people using them in city centres (deliveroo)

I'd like to know how many of you are doing this and if any of you have actually been caught?

Plus I'd like to know what generally happens if you are caught off road on biking trails. Is it still treated as a criminal offence even off road? Are you able to get the bike back?

Seen a very disturbing video on YouTube of Birmingham police crushing a bunch of ebikes. Very sad!
Not exactly the same but I’ve put a motor on my 8yo sons orbea. Technically illegal as minimum age is 12 I think. I take him everywhere and anywhere and don’t see any ‘ebike police’ anywhere!

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
How did you pay for them? If you used card I'd begin a chargeback transaction against them, you definitely have enough evidence to pursue it.

Lollum2020

Jul 25, 2023
Liverpool
How did you pay for them? If you used card I'd begin a chargeback transaction against them, you definitely have enough evidence to pursue it.

I used a Monzo MasterCard debit card. I thought I did not have that protection without a credit card?

Stupidly don't know why I didn't put them on the credit card. I even put my entire wedding on a credit card then paid it straight off just for the protection.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles