Aaargh Bosch error code!

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I think Bosch have taken a step too far with this software limiting your bike.
It's yours, you paid for it and they are dictating how you use it!
How do they know you haven't got acres of land where you can legally ride a derestricted ebike.
Imagine buying a car that went into limp mode and you had to go back to a dealer if you went above the speed limit, it wouldn't be tolerated!

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
You need to get your firmware updated to the latest version that was released a week or so ago. It's got a fix for the over-sensitive tamper detection.

High Rock Ruti

What are the chances of having 3 emtb broken at the same time........100%

Trek Rail 9.8 218 miles

Software you say?

Warm Regards

Ruti

20200621_070101.jpg

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
It is difficult to tell. My situation is exactly like yours. The only thing changed on my Trek Rail 9.9 was the back tire. It is a stock/standard bike. The Trek dealer inspected the bike very carefully and could not figure out why the bike generated the 504 code. It is concerning because I do not know when or if this will happen again and nobody has provided me a way to avoid this happening.

No motor is perfect, but so far, I'd say the Brose Mag-S has several significant advantages over the Bosch Gen 4.

High Rock Ruti
Trek Rail 9.8 281 miles 504 "limp mode" (no man wants that!) LBS Flashed software AND back to normal. Gotta say, not happy but I never had a software issue with the four DEAD Bose S Mag motors.......though?

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Part of my email reply from Bosch...

The 504 error is a software error that as you rightly say is usually brought about due to tampering on the Drive Unit.

We have found that riders have complained that this error comes up even on bikes that have not been tampered with. As such, we have released an update via our diagnostic software to prevent this error from appearing again.

To resolve the issue, please take your bike to a local bike dealer and ask them to perform a software update.

High Rock Ruti

Yes this just happened to my bike, LBS reflashed bike all set. Completely stock, no tuning, NONE

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Yep, I got it again last weekend, it's booked in for the update next week.
I dare not ride the bike until it's done though as it will get bricked if it happens a third time.
Out of interest, anyone who has had the error, when did it happen?
Both times for me it was after I'd been riding for a while then stopped for maybe 5 minutes and had my feet in the pedals with the brakes on just chatting away.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Part of my email reply from Bosch...

The 504 error is a software error that as you rightly say is usually brought about due to tampering on the Drive Unit.

We have found that riders have complained that this error comes up even on bikes that have not been tampered with. As such, we have released an update via our diagnostic software to prevent this error from appearing again.

To resolve the issue, please take your bike to a local bike dealer and ask them to perform a software update.

All good . But what to say when the LBS asks for a workshop fee ?
I said no I won`t pay . That is a warranty issue . You sold me a bike with faulty firmware . They didn`t like it . But proceeded anyway .

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Finally got the firmware updated yesterday, took it back to the shop where I bought it so they did it FOC and also did a free service which was a bonus.
On version 1.4.0.0 now, went out for a ride last night and I couldn't really feel a difference :LOL:
I generally only use EMTB mode, maybe it was a bit smoother, it didn't surge as much as it used to but it was hard to tell.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

I'm pleased with update I can feel the increase in power when pedaling in the 60-80 cadence range with medium effort pedaling, makes climbing and launching up easier in TURBO of course.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Finally got the firmware updated yesterday, took it back to the shop where I bought it so they did it FOC and also did a free service which was a bonus.
On version 1.4.0.0 now, went out for a ride last night and I couldn't really feel a difference :LOL:
I generally only use EMTB mode, maybe it was a bit smoother, it didn't surge as much as it used to but it was hard to tell.

It was that lack of surge which made me complain to the bikeshop that they'd downgraded my motor :oops:

Took it out the next day and collected KOM's when I thought I was going slower. The motor is much less of a hooligan and, probably because of that, it's much faster.

The only downside is that I found EMTB is a sod for looping out on really steep tech climbs. I'm going to have to practice how to keep the front down all over again.

DerekT

Aug 20, 2020
Glasgow
Thank god I came across this post. My 4yr old Scott e-genius 710 battery packed in at Xmas so I took that as a sign and bought a new cube stereo hybrid 160 HPC in January. I'm a fat old dude now and all I use the bike for is for going out with the dog. Bit of a waste spec wise on me i know but I do like shiny new toys. Anyway I've done a grand total of 231 miles now and this is the 2nd time my bosch gen 4 has gone into the 504 lockdown. Its never been chipped or modded in any way. First time it happened was in the middle of lockdown and my local bike shop looked at it and they replaced the handlebar buttons and the issue went away. Cost me something like £80 as id ordered the bike online from tredz. Like the rest of you the only info I could find was the tuning error as the first time was before this post had started. I feel a little better now knowing I'm not the only one. I'll be talking to tredz tomorrow and they can take it up with bosch. 4 years I had my previous scott with no issues. ?‍♂️

Last edited:

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
When updated for sure there is more power in lower cadence, EMTB is working smoother and motor is more responsive, engage faster and stronger when u press pedal on hill. When I screw up on trail, hit rock with pedal or something and stop, I can then start pedaling again because motor kick in instantly with max power when press on pedal. Much better than previously. And there is small push when you stop pedaling to prevent rocks hitting but not enough for me. There should be button for 2-3 sec throttle to drive without pedaling over hard big rocks. That would be really awesome, push a button and fly over..maybe some other time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles