A lesson learnt today

MasterDabber

Aug 18, 2023
Surrey
Went for a boggy wet ride this morning just local to me. Came around a corner I never knew and my inside arm and bars caught on a low hanging bushy branch which unbalanced me and I had to put a foot down and a bit of a slide (but never actually fell off). Carried on for a couple of hundred metres, looked down and my Kiox 300 headset display had disappeared... panic. I retraced my ride to where I'd had the problem with the branch... scrambled around, looking under leaves and fallen debris... couldn't find it. Carried on looking and fortunately found it among some leaves.. Came home and looked at what measures I could take to stop a recurrence. Then found out about the "Removal Blocker".
I seemed to remember something looked like that among the box of goodies the bike shop had given me when I bought the bike. I'd wondered what it was for ... Doh!
Anyway, long winded post to highlight this useful little item which I'm sure you all already know about... but if you don't...

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Went for a boggy wet ride this morning just local to me. Came around a corner I never knew and my inside arm and bars caught on a low hanging bushy branch which unbalanced me and I had to put a foot down and a bit of a slide (but never actually fell off). Carried on for a couple of hundred metres, looked down and my Kiox 300 headset display had disappeared... panic. I retraced my ride to where I'd had the problem with the branch... scrambled around, looking under leaves and fallen debris... couldn't find it. Carried on looking and fortunately found it among some leaves.. Came home and looked at what measures I could take to stop a recurrence. Then found out about the "Removal Blocker".
I seemed to remember something looked like that among the box of goodies the bike shop had given me when I bought the bike. I'd wondered what it was for ... Doh!
Anyway, long winded post to highlight this useful little item which I'm sure you all already know about... but if you don't...
I don’t have the Kiox 300…just the Kiox. Similar event happened to me a few years ago.

My Kiox was magnetically held in place by a stem mount. There is an option to screw the Kiox permanently in place …however, this is not practical when a branch or limb rips the Kiox from its holder. Regardless of the kiox location (stem or top tube) it can still be easily dislodged.

I attached a small tether loop through the Kiox and around the bar or brake cable. Now if/when a branch strikes my Kiox …all is not lost. I simply replace the Kiox in its magnetic holder.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use a tether on the Kiox300.............and the handlebar mount is left only tight enough to stay still but can be moved by hand without loosening the bolt ( same with brakes etc on the bars..........if they get hit they can move rather than break!!)

20240212_183226 1.jpg

MasterDabber

Aug 18, 2023
Surrey
I use a tether on the Kiox300.............and the handlebar mount is left only tight enough to stay still but can be moved by hand without loosening the bolt ( same with brakes etc on the bars..........if they get hit they can move rather than break!!)

View attachment 134317
In my case it wasn't the bracket on the handlebar that came off but just the clip in display. I do use a tether on my Garmin but although, like you I don't have my bracket too tightly attached to the handlebar it wouldn't come off even in the event of a crash. However, I realised today that the clip in display is vulnerable and I'm glad I found there was a way to lock the display to the bracket.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles