A Bosch battery extender please

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I tend to go adventure mountain biking with long rides and / or lots of vertical. So I am constantly keeping an eye on my battery to make sure I can make it to the end of my day. Or I carry a charger with me, and make a lunch break where I can load my battery for an hour or so (If I can find a place that allows that).
I have done a few days with over 100km and often over 2000m vertical and up to 3300m vertical.
I love the extra range of the 625wh battery, but it is still often not enough.
I would love a battery extender that could go into the bottle holder and add 150 wh, or so. 200wh would be great.
I don't want to have to carry a complete extra 500 or 625 wh battery. They are too big / heavy / expensive.
I know there are bikes where you can attach a complete extra battery, but a small add on would be great.
Bosch seems to block it so it is not possible.
For other motor brands it seems to be easier.
Please Bosh, make it happen. I don't mind having to pay for a Bosh branded battery extender, but it would be nice to have the option.

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
I guess there's only so much segmenting you can do, as a manufacturer, before the laws of economic feasibility catches up. First, Bosch had 400 powerpacks... and some wanted a bit more. They came with 500 (same format); but then some others wanted a bit more. Now, they have 625... and a new bunch wants a bit more. Dual battery gives them 1125... and some find that too much or heavy.
You can't expect them to bring out batteries in 100w increments.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Quite a few brands that use the Bosch system now offer range extender batteries, including Scott, Orbea, and Haibike. I wonder if one of those could be an option - most of them seem to have proprietary mounting systems though

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I guess there's only so much segmenting you can do, as a manufacturer, before the laws of economic feasibility catches up. First, Bosch had 400 powerpacks... and some wanted a bit more. They came with 500 (same format); but then some others wanted a bit more. Now, they have 625... and a new bunch wants a bit more. Dual battery gives them 1125... and some find that too much or heavy.
You can't expect them to bring out batteries in 100w increments.

Bosch 300 powerpacks are available for £299 but not very practical as the weight difference between the 300 and 500 is minimal.
I’m torn between buying a spare 500 or using the money to save for a full suspension ebike.
I can’t see any 2021 full suspension ebikes which use the Bosch rectangular powerpacks anymore so if I were to buy a spare battery I would not be able to use them in a new FS bike.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I can’t see any 2021 full suspension ebikes which use the Bosch rectangular powerpacks anymore so if I were to buy a spare battery I would not be able to use them in a new FS bike.
Scott and Orbea use them as range extender packs, but you have to spec it on purchase.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Scott and Orbea use them as range extender packs, but you have to spec it on purchase.

I see what you mean. Cool!

8573E6E7-4FBF-4CFC-AD63-D07F6EFB535F.jpeg

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
haibike has some dual-battery options, as does Simplon.
So, as far as I can tell, there are only 5 brands that offer an external Bosch powerpack option. Very compelling solution though.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
haibike has some dual-battery options, as does Simplon.
So, as far as I can tell, there are only 5 brands that offer an external Bosch powerpack option. Very compelling solution though.
But only possible at purchase time, and it uses the Bosch dual battery system. I agree it is good, but not available on Cubes. I like how Haibike has done it, so you can completely remove the 2nd battery holder when you don't need it, and replace it with a bottle holder or something.
Maybe a battery powered pie warmer would be a good option.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles