55mm chainline

Weezerj

Jul 27, 2021
Washington State
Getting components together for a drivetrain replacment and I've got a question regarding chainrings and chainline.

Since I cannot find the stock e13 chainring, I chose a wolftooth 52T with 55mm chainline. I've read that people on here are using this set up without issues, my question is installation.

Do I need to consider spacing/spacers for this or just install 55mm and adjust derailer accordingly?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Do I need to consider spacing/spacers for this or just install 55mm and adjust derailer accordingly?
52T?! Do you even need an ebike?! :p

TBH I'm not sure what you are asking. What do you mean by "spacers"? Adding spacers would make the chainline *increase*, so I don't know how that would help. And I don't know why you'd need to adjust the derailleur for the chainline?

Anyway I have the Wolf Tooth ring on a 2023 Rise. I removed the chain guide. No issues so far.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I find the 53mm chainline bad enough so 55 must be pretty terrible in the larger sprockets on the cassette.

I've been looking at replacing the original e13 chainring too. I'm planning on using a shimano 4 bolt adaptor and a hope retainer ring. Going 4 bolt means you can space the chainring out to whatever chainline you want.

Weezerj

Jul 27, 2021
Washington State
I find the 53mm chainline bad enough so 55 must be pretty terrible in the larger sprockets on the cassette.

I've been looking at replacing the original e13 chainring too. I'm planning on using a shimano 4 bolt adaptor and a hope retainer ring. Going 4 bolt means you can space the chainring out to whatever chainline you want.
OK, guess I wasn't elaborate enough, but this person gets it. This is what I'm worried about.....but here's hoping that bigTuna's solution works for me too (not sure if 2023 Rise has same chainline as 2019 did?)

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Is the Wolftooth that you've bought the direct mount version? If it is, you can't space it out so you'll be stuck at 55mm.

I actually emailed them asking if they had any plans to offer reduced chainline and they basically said not at the moment. They did say that if there was enough demand, then they'd do it.

Trouble is I think a lot of new bikes are coming with a 55mm chainline now which will reduce the demand I guess.

Wolftooth don't do 53mm chainline. Hope do, but don't do a 32t.
e13 don't sell the Rise version of the original chainring.

It shouldn't be this hard...

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I actually emailed them asking if they had any plans to offer reduced chainline and they basically said not at the moment. They did say that if there was enough demand, then they'd do it.
When did you contact them? I contacted them July 24, 2023 and Zac said:
Thanks for reaching out. We do not have plans to offer the Shimano E-Bike Chainrings in other offsets. Let us know if you have any other questions.
If your contact was more recent, sounds like they are becoming more amenable to the idea. I for sure would buy one right now at 53mm even though I already have a 55mm. If the bike can fit it, why not?

Maybe we need to start a petition :p
Trouble is I think a lot of new bikes are coming with a 55mm chainline now which will reduce the demand I guess.
55mm is now the "standard" actually, so your suspicion is correct:

not sure if 2023 Rise has same chainline as 2019 did?
I believe the Rise has always had a 53mm chainline. Note that, on my 2023 at least, the factory chainguard has 2 spacers behind already (maybe 1.5mm total?). That's another reason I just removed it, seems it bit silly to have a stack of 4-5mm of spacers down there and a huge PITA to install and remove!

All this being said (and again taken from the above article) the drivetrains are *designed* to support a 55mm chainline and have been for a while. A 55mm chainring is certainly no big deal.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles