55 year old Ebike rider

Rift

Nov 18, 2023
Essex
Hey guys.
Just wanted to say"Hi" as after many years of XC trail riding I'm now on a Specialized turbo levo comp alu. Having fun, other than the poor performing Code R brakes. Looking to visit a relatively local bike park (Twisted Oaks) when it dries up a bit.
Safe trails all
Alex

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Hey guys.
Just wanted to say"Hi" as after many years of XC trail riding I'm now on a Specialized turbo levo comp alu. Having fun, other than the poor performing Code R brakes. Looking to visit a relatively local bike park (Twisted Oaks) when it dries up a bit.
Safe trails all
Alex
Welcome to the ebike world !
Twisted oaks looks epic and will get over there in the spring/summer 🤙

Jasong911

Sep 27, 2023
Lakewood, CO USA
I’m 65 and apart from some Steamboat bike park trips 25 years ago (broken collarbone), I hadn’t ridden since high school. And that was a road bike. My weight had ballooned up to 275 and I decided that was enough. My brother has been riding MTB for about 5 years and he convinced me to check out some e-bikes so I could keep up with him at least uphill. Mostly so I could try to get in shape to ski. That was originally the
the motivation.

After a discussion with the doc, I started on one of those Ozempic- type drugs. That was about the first of march this year. A personal trainer at a local CrossFit gym was obtained. Things have gone well and my brother bought me a Pivot Shuttle AM in August. A month of riding around Denver and a trip to Moab later, I can’t get enough, even after pulling a hamstring the first morning in Utah and a back tweak later here at home. Rehabbing both injuries was a revelation as being on the bike made it go so much faster compared to just sitting. I couldn’t walk in Moab, but I could ride.

I’m down to 214 and looking forward to just going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

SO MUCH FUN!

—Jason

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I turned 70 in October. Switched from Stumpy to Levo 4 1/2 years ago after renting an ebike during a trip to Switzerland.

There were 4 or 5 places in the first climb up to Pleasanton Ridge (my regular ride in California) where I had to push the Stumpy. I'd be so worn out when I reached the top that I'd just turn around and bomb back down. With the Levo I have plenty of energy to stretch my ride to 21 miles. emtb FTW!

Welcome to the forum!

Matterhorn-Closest.jpg

Rift

Nov 18, 2023
Essex
I’m 65 and apart from some Steamboat bike park trips 25 years ago (broken collarbone), I hadn’t ridden since high school. And that was a road bike. My weight had ballooned up to 275 and I decided that was enough. My brother has been riding MTB for about 5 years and he convinced me to check out some e-bikes so I could keep up with him at least uphill. Mostly so I could try to get in shape to ski. That was originally the
the motivation.

After a discussion with the doc, I started on one of those Ozempic- type drugs. That was about the first of march this year. A personal trainer at a local CrossFit gym was obtained. Things have gone well and my brother bought me a Pivot Shuttle AM in August. A month of riding around Denver and a trip to Moab later, I can’t get enough, even after pulling a hamstring the first morning in Utah and a back tweak later here at home. Rehabbing both injuries was a revelation as being on the bike made it go so much faster compared to just sitting. I couldn’t walk in Moab, but I could ride.

I’m down to 214 and looking forward to just going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

SO MUCH FUN!

—Jason
Hi Jason,

That sounds like a great journey.
I also found Crossfit around 7 years ago at 48 and although I struggle at some of the technical and gymnastic things I give it all a good go.
Most of my XC riding was local trails and wher I live is not very hilly, and riding too and from work for years took the edge off of riding for fun. A new "E-bike" only store opened next to my gym and the owner trains some days when I di and he suggested I popped in for a go on one.
I was hooked, what a blast.
Flattened out the hills and my usual 1 -2 hour rides doubled.

Anyway best of luck with your weight loss and riding.
Kind regards
Alex

Jasong911

Sep 27, 2023
Lakewood, CO USA
Thanks, Alex, those are kind words. I can’t and won’t do regular CrossFit, which for me is too focused on front and back and up and down. I need more left and right moves for skiing and I didn’t have a base for any of it. Still don’t really, I’m just getting started, so I’m glad to hear you are keeping up with the gym stuff.

Still hard to hear my brother say “where’s my brother and what have you done with him?” When I ask him to ride with me more often. The weight loss and bike shorts now too big is hard to wrap my head around. Pride, confusion and shame that it took so long to get around to working on it. Not even a year yet and I’m still excited for what comes next. Skiing and mo better bike skills.

—Jason

Last edited:

leehop71

Sep 2, 2023
Florida
Also turned 70 in October and haven’t been riding a year yet.

It was the hottest summer on record here in SW Florida and I rode BY 9am.

Now I am really enjoying this time of year.

Flat residential riding and occasional trips to the store, but we do have wind here, but these e-bikes cut right through the wind!😉

I really enjoy riding to the point that I rode acoustic bike M-W-F, 20 minutes, 3 miles.

I ride the e-bike M-Sat, 20 minutes, 5 miles!

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
Hey guys.
Safe trails all
Alex

51 here, Whyte E150RS since 2020. I thought it would be the other way round but I ride my Sommet more than my eeb. Last rode my eeb in May? Went to Peak District with a mate, was epic. Went out on the eeb today and snapped my chain today hooning round Bedgebury.... Hey ho

We should do a group trip to Twisted Oaks next year

Alex, the key with the Code R's is the end of the bleed, have a look for my posts on them. Cheers

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hey guys.
Safe trails all
Alex
Welcome. I got a good discount so upgraded my levo with Hope brakes and fox 36 forks with the discount money so I never tried the code r brakes. Enjoy

jcarlson9

Feb 14, 2021
la
63 next week. I've had my rail 7 for maybe 3 years. It's a game changer. At my age the motor allows me to ride much, much further.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
Welcome to the eMTB club, I am 62 I got my 1st eMTB 5 years ago and sold my aMTB a year later. I have 3 eMTB now and best investment I made for having fun, reliving stress and staying in shape. I ride about 80 miles a week, way more then I did with the aMTB.:cool:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
73 ..............changed to EMTB from MTB 4.5 years ago...................and riding harder and faster than ever on my Whyte E160RSX!!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Some folk are hard on brakes I never have been . Always dabbing at them pain if you get stuck behind a braker on a nice flowing single track.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Some folk are hard on brakes I never have been . Always dabbing at them pain if you get stuck behind a braker on a nice flowing single track.
I share my regular ride with walkers along with their kids and unleashed dogs. Nearly every ride includes at least one instance of having to slow from 25-30 mph to about walking speed while descending a steep-ish hill so I can pass walkers without scaring them. Or hitting their uncontrolled little kids and dogs. The trail has a lot of blind corners that I could take quite fast if it was a one-way mtb trail. But there have been families spread out across the trail when I come around the corner. I HAVE to do a lot of braking. Much more than I would if these trails were in a bike park.

That's why I replaced the original SRAM Codes with Magura MT7s and 220mm rotors. No more toasted and howling brakes when I get back to the parking lot. The flat tails are riding between my house and Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park (California, USA).

Here's a Garmin plot of my regular ride in miles and feet (sorry, I'm old and don't think in metric!). Now imagine slowing for walkers on the downhill bits.

1701029744901.png

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I share my regular ride with walkers along with their kids and unleashed dogs. Nearly every ride includes at least one instance of having to slow from 25-30 mph to about walking speed while descending a steep-ish hill so I can pass walkers without scaring them. Or hitting their uncontrolled little kids and dogs. The trail has a lot of blind corners that I could take quite fast if it was a one-way mtb trail. But there have been families spread out across the trail when I come around the corner. I HAVE to do a lot of braking. Much more than I would if these trails were in a bike park.

That's why I replaced the original SRAM Codes with Magura MT7s and 220mm rotors. No more toasted and howling brakes when I get back to the parking lot. The flat tails are riding between my house and Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park (California, USA).

Here's a Garmin plot of my regular ride in miles and feet (sorry, I'm old and don't think in metric!). Now imagine slowing for walkers on the downhill bits.

View attachment 129835
I probably use more remote areas but know where you are coming from . I would not be speeding when using multi use trails I would not want to crash in to any person or animal because i was speeding. I have met folk in the dark walking up single track trails but they usually hear the bike and are off the trails as I pass.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles