Rail (750Wh) 50 miles...

andrewgc

Sep 27, 2023
Aubrey Texas
There is an upcoming race, 50 miles, five 10 mile laps. Yesterday I pre-rode three laps, (30 miles). Started with full charge, ended with 2 dots of batt left :(. Rode in Tour, only. Seems it will be close, as to whether I can finish the event. Thoughts?

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
Is it an E bike race? Then everyone will be in the same situation as you. Battery management will win that race.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
There is an upcoming race, 50 miles, five 10 mile laps. Yesterday I pre-rode three laps, (30 miles). Started with full charge, ended with 2 dots of batt left :(. Rode in Tour, only. Seems it will be close, as to whether I can finish the event. Thoughts?
Do you have 5 dots? If so it will be touch and go.

You could start in eco and switch up power levels as it becomes obvious that you will make the distance. Or go the other way switch to eco when you are behind.

Pump ya tires up and or consider less rolling resistance tyre's.

I get about 50km before flat. But I have heavy tires and ride it like I stole it. I'm never going for economy. If I needed to do a race in eco, I'd use my mtb instead.

andrewgc

Sep 27, 2023
Aubrey Texas
Thanks guys!!! I will try to answer each of your comments...
- Trek Rail 7, Gen 2, 750 battery.
- Bike has right at 300 miles, 482 kilometers.
- It is an endurance event. which has an "e-bike class". I would enter the "non-competitive class", which does not record your lap times, it merely gives you credit for each lap completed. My objective would be to complete the 5 laps, which means if I come in to refill liquids/get food, I guess I could put it on the charger for a bit.

Thanks again for your input!
Andrew, Dallas Texas

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

You rode 60% of the race. You used somewhere between 60% and 79% of your battery. If you want your battery to last the whole race, you're going to have to bump down your assistance and your speed.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Ride the first lap / lap and a half in Eco whilst you have fresh legs. Do the next 3 in Tour (or middle setting), and then depending what you have left, you can carry on in Tour, and maybe get a bit of Turbo (top setting) for the last lap when you’re legs are gone!

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
IMO 4 things will affect the outcome.

1. Your weight
2. The elevation increase of the course
3. The course conditions (wet/muddy?)
4. The amount of time you have to finish in

50 Miles for me with some mild climbing would be a mix of Eco and Tour+ (mostly eco)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles