400km Chain Replacement?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I’d say if it has snapped once replace it, I bought the kmc ebike chain and climbed 550 meters yesterday all seems good and shifts better then I remember.
Actually having just checked i was wrong about the chain on my bike, it’s actually the KMC ebike chain, thought it was shimano as rest of drivetrain is and the shimano quick link worked on it

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Actually having just checked i was wrong about the chain on my bike, it’s actually the KMC ebike chain, thought it was shimano as rest of drivetrain is and the shimano quick link worked on it
If it's the same speed then any quick link will work regardless of brand. If you are hard on the drive train then have a couple of them in your bag all the time. :)

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
That doesn’t sound good if the ebike chains are breaking to what will happen when they up the power on the new firmware?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
That doesn’t sound good if the ebike chains are breaking to what will happen when they up the power on the new firmware?
It’s not uncommon to break a chain on any bike , all it takes is a bad gear shift under load usually on a hill when you’ve got the wrong gear etc , in many ways it happens less on ebikes because the motor assistance is smoother so you don’t get that pressure point on the pedal stroke , usually just one link breaks and has to be removed , the new split link makes up the length of chain so not usually necessary to replace the chain if it’s not worn .

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
It’s not uncommon to break a chain on any bike , all it takes is a bad gear shift under load usually on a hill when you’ve got the wrong gear etc , in many ways it happens less on ebikes because the motor assistance is smoother so you don’t get that pressure point on the pedal stroke , usually just one link breaks and has to be removed , the new split link makes up the length of chain so not usually necessary to replace the chain if it’s not worn .

Cheers

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
My chain is about 0.75 now, just a smidgen off. I'm going to replace it ASAP, and am sourcing some KMC E-bike chains - in particular this one : X11e EPT for MTB | KMC Chain

I only managed 560km on the stock chain on my Levo Expert. Not really good enough, and I was doing a good clean and lube regimen.

I'll let you guys know how I go in the future; but I'm also considering swapping to an 8-speed cassette and running a stronger chain when the time comes. This might increase life.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I have heard mixed reviews on the eight speed ebike drivetrain on gear ratio spread and chain durability.

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
a sticky post with some good chains, oils, preventative measures etc really would benefit this place.

Im using Muck Off Dry and Muck Off Wet chain oil and cleaning it after each use with warm soapy water and compressed air.

Are there any tips for changing, do's and dont's etc that could also help others.

Are you all using a bike shop for chain replacements or doing them manually, has anyone adjusted the derailleur yet as I think mine is slightly off, after my first ride around the car park at home I noticed it takes a while to change gears and sits between them for 20 seconds or so on occasion.

I think some of these posts are full of fantastic information and useful information that they should be turned into a sticky of best practices for new comers to see.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I have heard mixed reviews on the eight speed ebike drivetrain on gear ratio spread and chain durability.
I think you always will , interested where you’ve seen reviews , I’ve not really seen one yet where they have tested as far as chain life .
However I’ve run mine now fir about 800 miles , I fitted a new chain at roughly 500 miles when it was just showing 0.7 wear . It had had a baptism of fire through a tough winter , so not surprised there . Once adjusted properly the gears have stayed good and not given me any shifting problems even when filthy , and I have to say that’s a first even shimano Xt which I consider the best can start to hang up a bit on a long muddy day .
The super expensive cassette is a work of art , made from tool steel it will hopefully last a long time . And at £300 it needs to .
8 speed is really great when your getting a move on , you can shift under full load and it’s so clean and quiet , whereas on 11 or 12 speed you would be clicking noisily down 2 gears at a time which also accelerates wear and the risk of breaking a chain .
The downside can be the lack of ratios on long climbs especially if riding in eco with normal bikes , your iether spinning a bit high or labouring a bit low .
I think the intention is use the power settings as a mid gear , which is fine unless you want to keep to someone else’s speed

So would I pay the extra £300 plus for it , probably not but it was already on the bike I wanted and the price and spec was what I wanted .
When it wears out I’ll maybe try the older Xt 10 speed , which was the most robust I have had for the number of gears . Hopefully that’s a long way off for now

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Thanks very much great information again. One other thing I had to do right away was replace the rear hanger as it was bent out if the box causing imperfect shifting in a the middle gears. Cheap and easy to replace spare always in my backpack.

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
I think you always will , interested where you’ve seen reviews , I’ve not really seen one yet where they have tested as far as chain life .
However I’ve run mine now fir about 800 miles , I fitted a new chain at roughly 500 miles when it was just showing 0.7 wear . It had had a baptism of fire through a tough winter , so not surprised there . Once adjusted properly the gears have stayed good and not given me any shifting problems even when filthy , and I have to say that’s a first even shimano Xt which I consider the best can start to hang up a bit on a long muddy day .
The super expensive cassette is a work of art , made from tool steel it will hopefully last a long time . And at £300 it needs to .
8 speed is really great when your getting a move on , you can shift under full load and it’s so clean and quiet , whereas on 11 or 12 speed you would be clicking noisily down 2 gears at a time which also accelerates wear and the risk of breaking a chain .
The downside can be the lack of ratios on long climbs especially if riding in eco with normal bikes , your iether spinning a bit high or labouring a bit low .
I think the intention is use the power settings as a mid gear , which is fine unless you want to keep to someone else’s speed

So would I pay the extra £300 plus for it , probably not but it was already on the bike I wanted and the price and spec was what I wanted .
When it wears out I’ll maybe try the older Xt 10 speed , which was the most robust I have had for the number of gears . Hopefully that’s a long way off for now

I notIce you mention "noisily changing gears" I have to say the gear on the expert even on a flat surface just plodding along, if I change gears from a high hear to a low gear (single shift) the "clunking" of metal on metal is so loud it actually has people turning their heads.

Is there a specific way to shift without this noise because every time I change gear, to a lower gear on a hill for example the noise is unbearable.

Any advice on how to improve gear changing or is that noise an inherent "feature" of the bike, will it damage the bike when these noises shifts take place and what can we do to prevent or mitigate any damage done?

Are the majority washing the chain and degreasing it after ever run even a dry day run?

Last edited:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I think there’s a good set up guide in u tube if you google it . The tension on the b screw is very important to get right , there is a little guage to set it made by SRAM , but the clearance between the biggest ring in the sprocket and the mid jockey wheel should be 22mm , I think mine came set about 10mm and it was not good .
However SRAM is always noisier than shimano so if you e been used to super smooth Xt or similar then SRAM is a bit more agricultural , but it does get much better as it beds in .

No I only clean my chain when it’s dirty , it’s its just a build of dry oil etc I run it through a rag soaked in solvent like white spirit , or if it’s really filthy I use a chain cleaner filled white spirit then wash with water and dry with my air line before Re oiling .
Too much oil is often the enemy

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
The Gap Kernow is referring to is indeed 22mm on Ex1 but I believe it's 15mm on the 11 speeds, but most importantly it has to be set at your SAG position. So you will need help or let the air out of your shock to reach the correct position before setting. (Sram specific)

Last edited:

Spectral ON Nick

Apr 8, 2018
dorset
Well, try having to replace your SRAM EX1 8-Speed cassette after just 277 miles / 445 Km!! :O I have had my Focus Jam2 Factory from new and it came fitted with the EX1 group-set and chain. After just 250 or so miles, the highest gear (smallest sprocket) would jump and clang under load, even with no motor on. I only weigh 70kg and don't smash the pedals, and rarely use turbo mode in the highest gear, but have done a fair few miles at fast speeds for long-ish road-type stretches. I checked the chain at approx 200 miles and it was only .25% worn, but I changed it anyway. And I have ALWAYS washed, dried and lubed the chain before / after every ride. Surely this is not normal for a cassette to wear out that fast? It is currently back at my local shop and they are having words with Focus so it won't cost me anything for a replacement cassette. (a pinch at around £300 just for that bit!). E-Bike specific my AR$E! CRAP.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Well, try having to replace your SRAM EX1 8-Speed cassette after just 277 miles / 445 Km!! :O I have had my Focus Jam2 Factory from new and it came fitted with the EX1 group-set and chain. After just 250 or so miles, the highest gear (smallest sprocket) would jump and clang under load, even with no motor on. I only weigh 70kg and don't smash the pedals, and rarely use turbo mode in the highest gear, but have done a fair few miles at fast speeds for long-ish road-type stretches. I checked the chain at approx 200 miles and it was only .25% worn, but I changed it anyway. And I have ALWAYS washed, dried and lubed the chain before / after every ride. Surely this is not normal for a cassette to wear out that fast? It is currently back at my local shop and they are having words with Focus so it won't cost me anything for a replacement cassette. (a pinch at around £300 just for that bit!). E-Bike specific my AR$E! CRAP.

Post a pic of it , sounds more like an adjustment issue to me , I very much doubt anything is worn at that sort of miles .

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
That’s horrible and doubly so because I was going to try those components next. My xx1 is hanging in there passed the ebike specific KMC chain at 320kms

Spectral ON Nick

Apr 8, 2018
dorset
Post a pic of it , sounds more like an adjustment issue to me , I very much doubt anything is worn at that sort of miles .
It was perfect in terms of adjustment. My bike shop mechanic checked it fully. There was actually metal swarf / particles around the cog on close inspection.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It was perfect in terms of adjustment. My bike shop mechanic checked it fully. There was actually metal swarf / particles around the cog on close inspection.
Metal swarf indicates there is definitely a problem somewhere , at least that puts your mind at rest that there is a fault not just shit components , as r120 says was the cassette tight ? if the chain has ever slipped off the end it can easily loosen the lock ring , the scratches on the lock ring will be the indicator there .

Levorunner

Jun 16, 2018
Canada
Just saw this chain in a youtube video. 10,000 kms+! ???

Screenshot_20180822-153840.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's a single speed chain. for BMX, road and track use.
I get over 6000miles out of a 10 speed 105 road chain used in all conditions (or 10000km if you want to make it sound further ;) ), I'd expect to get more than that if I ran singlespeed.

Levorunner

Jun 16, 2018
Canada
That's a single speed chain. for BMX, road and track use.
I get over 6000miles out of a 10 speed 105 road chain used in all conditions (or 10000km if you want to make it sound further ;) ), I'd expect to get more than that if I ran singlespeed.
It's really interesting that a chain can get 10,000+ kms being a e-bike single chain, yet I only got 700kms out of mine on my Turbo Levo. I babied the crap out of that chain too! I guess shifting wears chains out even if you treat them like a princess! ???

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
My KMC ebike chain cost way more than any other chain I’ve tried and only delivered 299kms before it was stretched out. My cassette has close to 1200kms now and is still ok because I change chains as soon as it hits .75

Levorunner

Jun 16, 2018
Canada
My KMC ebike chain cost way more than any other chain I’ve tried and only delivered 299kms before it was stretched out. My cassette has close to 1200kms now and is still ok because I change chains as soon as it hits .75
Yep, I have about 1300kms on my cassette and it still looks okay says my LBS! Checking chain stretch frequently can save a lot of money in the long run! I hope I get better results out of my Shimano CN-HG901-11 chain. Only time will tell.?

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Yep, I have about 1300kms on my cassette and it still looks okay says my LBS! Checking chain stretch frequently can save a lot of money in the long run! I hope I get better results out of my Shimano CN-HG901-11 chain. Only time will tell.?
Please keep us informed how many kms so far?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles