36T Sprocket change chain guide help

Fire_2

May 11, 2019
Kent
Anyone else had issues once they have swapped out the oem 32T to a 36T front sprocket getting the original chain guide back in a decent position?

Mine keeps catching thought I had it then tried a higher gear and it started to catch again.

anyone got any pics of there’s?

57 Reaction

May 27, 2019
United Kingdom
Anyone else had issues once they have swapped out the oem 32T to a 36T front sprocket getting the original chain guide back in a decent position?

Mine keeps catching thought I had it then tried a higher gear and it started to catch again.

This may be what you need :-

Turbo Levo 38T Chain Guide Adaptor – Matter-Replicator

Not tried it myself but would probably give it a go if I decide to swap the chain ring.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe

Position with T38, without any modification, which would be a better option. In all farnes does not do a proper job, but hey, with narrow wide chainring you don't even need it.
turbo-magura-20.jpg

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I take it that changing to a 38t still means the original chain length can be used?

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
I take it that changing to a 38t still means the original chain length can be used?
In most cases yes. Usually from factory, the bikes comes with more or less longer chain, so you have enough to fit a bigger chainring. If not, you just buy new chain.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Position with T38, without any modification, which would be a better option. In all farnes does not do a proper job, but hey, with narrow wide chainring you don't even need it.
turbo-magura-20.jpg

What year levo is this?
Ive followed your advice and bought a 38t and when installed it touches the bottom swingarm.
Can you give more details?

Fire_2

May 11, 2019
Kent
Thank you for the help guys!
mans thomas that pic was great I copied yours and it works perfect no catching ect

?

Fire_2

May 11, 2019
Kent
Possibly due to frame size?
I see it it fitted and working fine on an xl 2019 turbo Levo.

Maybe it will be ok on a lathe also but not a small/medium?!

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Chain guide can be used; for 36 or 38 tooth chainring shave a small amount off the inner plate so you can mount it rotated 180º
Cut_ChainGuide_Full.jpg

I used a craft knife with several shallow cuts. -- If try to cut too much off in one go you'll find the the blade will get stuck because the material is too hard.

Last edited:

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I recently fitted a 40T to my S-Works -- maybe the carbon chainstay has a little more clearance.

How I did it might help those having trouble fitting a 38T.

Mine has the flipchip in the default 29er setting. If you have flipchip set for a raised BB height you will have less chainring clearance. At first the 40T appeared to fit (only just) but suspension was not fully extended. When extended it rubbed...

40T_Chainring.jpg

So I removed the chainring and used a file to change the shape of each wide tooth by making the tip sharper on side that faces the frame. The width of the tooth body was not changed, just the tip. I then mounted it back on the spider and to be sure of enough clearance I put a sheet of sand paper between chainstay and chairing with rough side facing chainring and spun the cranks to smooth off the tips of any teeth that were still a little too close. :)

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Thanks guys' I have a medium size levo and the 38t just makes contact in a few places as the chainring spins BUT i do have the flip chip in high position,, so there could be a happy ending to yesterday's evening of misery as a tried and Failed to make it fit.

Did anyone find if really fiddly getting the bolts on?

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Thanks guys' I have a medium size levo and the 38t just makes contact in a few places as the chainring spins BUT i do have the flip chip in high position,, so there could be a happy ending to yesterday's evening of misery as a tried and Failed to make it fit.
Did anyone find if really fiddly getting the bolts on?

Yes that might be it. I don't see that the size of the frame would be in issue as the bikes must be the same on the back. This was 2019 L size Levo.
Let us know if that was the case.:unsure:

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Yes that might be it. I don't see that the size of the frame would be in issue as the bikes must be the same on the back. This was 2019 L size Levo.
Let us know if that was the case.:unsure:

Ive just swapped over the flip chip. Once the kids are in bed i'll re-fit the ring and report back.... I am much more hopeful.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
A quick update. 38t will fit my 2019 medium Levo when the flip chip is on the low position but there is only a hairs width clearance. Any flex on the chainring will cause rubbing. I will give it a try and see what happens

dickandjill

Jul 27, 2019
Cornwall
Just changed from 36T to 38T on my 2019 medium Levo and it fits fine also chain chain seems ok where ive set it too but may try it the other way round so its nearer the rear of the bike

IMG_20191004_114423.jpg

IMG_20191004_114454.jpg

IMG_20191004_114519.jpg

Chappy42

Jul 26, 2019
Surprise, AZ.
Thanks this very helpful. I had a 34 and installed it on my 2019 Levo, but I was going to buy a 36 tooth. Are you guys chipping the bikes? My bike seems to start backing off boast at 18.5 mph and is off and dragging by 19.5 mph. When I first got the bike it didn't seem to have the drag as the motor cut out.

erwinge

Oct 4, 2019
Norway
Yes, the original chain can be used. I upgraded mine and it works well, I will try the suggested guide solution in the picture to see if that works for me as well.

DaveLevo

Jun 27, 2021
Manchester
Chain guide can be used; for 36 or 38 tooth chainring shave a small amount off the inner plate so you can mount it rotated 180º
View attachment 19400

I used a craft knife with several shallow cuts. -- If try to cut too much off in one go you'll find the the blade will get stuck because the material is too hard.
this works because its behind the cog, directing the chain onto the chainring, the other option is pointless due to it being after the chain has arrived on the cog

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles