35mm Handlebar question

• Thread starter Deleted member 1275
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1275

Hi Guys

Some newbie questions for you.

Are the 35mm handlebars (eg Renthall) only 35mm where they attach to the stem and the actual grip end is still 31.8mm so that standard grips and brake clamps etc can still attach normally?

Also, does anyone actually notice any real world difference over the standard 31.8mm?

Thanks

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
I've not ridden the 35mm yet but they are supposed to be more stiffer.
Also everything is moving that way, at Burgtec when we produce new stems we do the colours in 35mm only, and only do black in both sizes.

D

Deleted member 1275

Thanks Kangr. Are you from Burgtec? I have a question about your mk4 pedals. Love the quality but is there a way to free up the bearings at all? Ive done many 100s of miles on them now but they arent getting any free’er.

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
I mainly do demo events and graphics for them, im not to hot on the tech side of them, but they should of free'd up, its not the bearings that are tight its the rubber seal just inside the axle side of the pedals as this is stop water getting in.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have one bike with 35mm bar/stem. honestly I'd just stick with 31.8 for now if that's what you have. 35mm is a PITA as very few lights, GPS, GoPro mounts etc are available in 35mm clamp diameter.

The 35mm diameter section is at the clamp and then gradually tapers down to the grip/controls where it is still 22.2mm diameter, same as it's always been.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I went to 35 two years ago. Honestly, don't notice a difference. I'd changed too many parts at the same time, which were all stiffer. Only got them as they were new, but quite a few companies are adopting it now.

IMG_20181023_095809292_HDR.jpg

This shows the fat bit and the then the tapering.

IMG_20181023_095736421.jpg

D

Deleted member 1275

I mainly do demo events and graphics for them, im not to hot on the tech side of them, but they should of free'd up, its not the bearings that are tight its the rubber seal just inside the axle side of the pedals as this is stop water getting in.

Thanks Kangr.

I wore some really light trainers for a quick ride the other day and could feel my feet being moved by the pedals (not hugely but I was still aware of it) on each crank rotation - the pedals are that tight. After a quick internet review it seems to be a characteristic of the pedals.

I've emailed your colleagues - hopefully they will be able to help and talk me through freeing them up a bit.

D

Deleted member 1275

I have one bike with 35mm bar/stem. honestly I'd just stick with 31.8 for now if that's what you have. 35mm is a PITA as very few lights, GPS, GoPro mounts etc are available in 35mm clamp diameter.

The 35mm diameter section is at the clamp and then gradually tapers down to the grip/controls where it is still 22.2mm diameter, same as it's always been.

Thanks Gary, I did wonder about clamp attachment of other accessories. I currently have a standard size handlebar and nothing is wrong with it at all - just wanted to buy the bike a present and any little upgrades are always nice. The cost/benefit ratio doesn't seem justified on this now I've looked into a bit, other than they look really nice.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
As and FYI if you are running a bike that has a display clamped close to the Stem, e.g Shimano Steps, you will want to check that the display will still be able to fit on the bar.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I can only speak for 35mm alloy bars but the one i had gave a fair amount more vibration feedback than the 31.8 I ended up chucking it as it was making my hands ache, didnt get that with the 31.8 bar

D

Deleted member 1275

Thanks @R120 Good point. Running the Bosch Purion and it attaches over near the mess of dropper and brake levers!

D

Deleted member 1275

Thanks @ccrdave. Will stick with the 31.8mm that Ive got I think. Its a nice chromag combo so not complaining at all just wanted to buy the bike a present.

D

Deleted member 1275

Take it out instead, maybe even a romantic night time outing ;)

We've already done that twice but its our third date soon and you know what that means and a nice present might help seal the deal!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles